2013 NY DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For everyone wondering about when they will hear from the NY DA, I have a friend who had there 2nd round interview with them very recently, and she said that they informed her that she should hear about a 3rd round within seven to ten days.

They told her that as they are now doing more 3rd and 4th rounds , as opposed to doing more 1st and 2nd rounds as they were doing earlier in the year, that the process for those who have completed the 2nd round should be moving a bit faster now as the school year comes to a close


Thanks for the info. I've waited over a month now to hear if I got a third round interview and I'm quickly losing hope. I'm expecting a rejection email to come any day now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:16 am

Don't fret I have a buddy who has been waiting literally 3 months to hear regarding 3rd round and when he called they said no news is good news and that he is still in the running; until rejected maintain hope

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 pm

can anyone provide a quick recap of when they applied to various offices? my school says to do so as early as july/august before 3L but i feel like that's way too early?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Two things to say to you:
1. It is not too early (that is normal application time) & moreover
2. Your school knows better than you, at least until you have a job and pass the bar, so I think you should defer to them on this issue and many others

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Just heard this week that I got a 4th round at Manhattan! Very very excited. Does anyone know when the new class of ADAs typically starts work in Manhattan?



Congrats!!! Very exciting news. If you don't mind me asking, what was the turn over like between your 3rd round and notification of your 4th round? Did a 3rd round about 3 weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Just heard this week that I got a 4th round at Manhattan! Very very excited. Does anyone know when the new class of ADAs typically starts work in Manhattan?



Congrats!!! Very exciting news. If you don't mind me asking, what was the turn over like between your 3rd round and notification of your 4th round? Did a 3rd round about 3 weeks ago.


I'm not the above anonymous poster, but I also had a 4th round at Manhattan, and heard about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks after my 3rd round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 am

Any offers from the Nassau DA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just heard this week that I got a 4th round at Manhattan! Very very excited. Does anyone know when the new class of ADAs typically starts work in Manhattan?



Congrats!!! Very exciting news. If you don't mind me asking, what was the turn over like between your 3rd round and notification of your 4th round? Did a 3rd round about 3 weeks ago.


I'm not the above anonymous poster, but I also had a 4th round at Manhattan, and heard about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks after my 3rd round.



Same anonymous who asked about the timeline for a 4th round. Congrats!! If you don't mind, how were you notified?

mmg3327
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby mmg3327 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am

I'm the anonymous poster above. I heard that I got a 4th round interview just over 2 weeks after having my 3rd round. I was notified by phone.

For anyone who hasn't received a rejection yet, hope is still alive! When it comes to DANY, no news is still good news at this point. They still have slots to fill. I was told they expect to fill the class by the end of April.
Last edited by mmg3327 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

mmg3327 wrote:I'm the anonymous poster above. I heard that I got a 4th round interview just over 2 weeks after having my 3rd round. I was notified by phone.

For anyone who hasn't received a rejection yet, hope is still alive! When it comes to DANY, no news is still good news at this point. They still have slots to fill. I was told they expect to be fill the class by the end of April.



Thank you for the info and congrats! Hope to see you next year!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:24 pm

For those who had a final round with DA Rice of Nassau County, can you please tell me how and when you were informed regarding an offer or rejection. Also did she give you any indication either way during the interview. Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am

Anyone have any tips for / descrirtion of second round queens da interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am

Queens 2nd round for me was very congenial and I also obtained a 3rd round, so it is not the situation where if they are nice to you means you are not getting the next round.

So the interview went like this:
1. Why DA, why this Office; what about prosecution makes you want to become an ADA (they really want you to know a lot about there office, I think my knowledge of Queen's unique office got me the next round)
2. You then are going to get an ethical question but it was not a Brady/Giglio per se, but rather more like something happened, somebody lied or somebody sued the DA Office, and they want to see how you would handle it; what would you recommend to the DA, what would you tell a cop you lies to you etc...

I din't get any crim pro, but I have heard some people have. The interview lasted 40 minutes, it was with 2 ADA's one of whom was a bureau chief.

I think Queens is great office. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Queens 2nd round for me was very congenial and I also obtained a 3rd round, so it is not the situation where if they are nice to you means you are not getting the next round.

So the interview went like this:
1. Why DA, why this Office; what about prosecution makes you want to become an ADA (they really want you to know a lot about there office, I think my knowledge of Queen's unique office got me the next round)
2. You then are going to get an ethical question but it was not a Brady/Giglio per se, but rather more like something happened, somebody lied or somebody sued the DA Office, and they want to see how you would handle it; what would you recommend to the DA, what would you tell a cop you lies to you etc...

I din't get any crim pro, but I have heard some people have. The interview lasted 40 minutes, it was with 2 ADA's one of whom was a bureau chief.

I think Queens is great office. GOOD LUCK!!!!!


I had pretty much the same experience but a) I was grilled a lot less on my knowledge of the office since I interned there, and b) my hypo was one long (30 minute) hypo and was pretty much all crim pro. I was expecting a lot more ethical, Brady type questions so I was thrown off with the amount of crim pro I needed to know. Definitely be prepared for both.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Did people get asked hypos for interview with DA Rice? Were they difficult?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Yes a few hypos. I got more ethical hypos which were not Brady or Giglio per se but more about how you would handle a cop that lies or what you deem the role of a Prosecutor to be.

I think the best prep you can do for the DA Rice interview, besides knowing lots about the Office's unique attributes, is to spend some time really thinking about why you want to be an ADA and what skills you think you bring to the table that helps to seperate you from the pack and that would help to make you a strong ADA.

Issues that might arise is how much credence do you give to cops when they tell you something; if you don't think that the case you have is a "good" case and in your gut you don't think the Defendant committed the alleged crime, what is your duty as a Prosecutor, and similarly situated questions.

Good luck; and also: For those who have had the interview with DA Rice, how and when were you notified about a decision?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Unless others have already heard, I am pretty sure DA Rice does not notify people until the end of April.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Got an offer with the Queens DA. Anyone else hear?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm

To the person who heard from Queens, when did you interview and when did you hear and what school are you from if you don't mind me asking.

You are the first person I heard who heard anything from queens

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the person who heard from Queens, when did you interview and when did you hear and what school are you from if you don't mind me asking.

You are the first person I heard who heard anything from queens


I would also like to know this. I'm anxiously awaiting a decision. Congrats :D
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm

And a huge CONGRATS to you as well!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:And a huge CONGRATS to you as well!!!


Thanks! I start in a month, so I don't know if the fall class has heard anything yet. Good luck to those still waiting!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Any movement?

nyankees
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby nyankees » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 am

when did you guys apply to the queens da? (especially the person who just got the offer)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

nyankees wrote:when did you guys apply to the queens da? (especially the person who just got the offer)


Queens is hiring both a spring class (starting this month) and a fall class (starting September). I'm not sure when it was neceesary to apply for the spring class, but I applied in August for the fall class. August is the earliest you could apply, but I wouldn't recommend applying much later. I had interviews in October and January and am still waiting on a decision. And judging by the fact that the person who was just hired for the spring class only got his/her offer last month, my wait could be a while more.

So my point is, apply early!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.