2013 NY DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Anyone who has had an 3rd Round Executive Interview with Queens hear either way?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who has had an 3rd Round Executive Interview with Queens hear either way?

I had a 3rd Round Executive Interview with Queens, but have not heard anything. Has anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm

When was your interview; mine was the beginning of January

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 pm

When was your executive interview with Queens; mine was the beginning of January

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who has had an 3rd Round Executive Interview with Queens hear either way?

I had a 3rd Round Executive Interview with Queens, but have not heard anything. Has anyone else?

I had my Executive interview the beginning of this month. They explained to me in the beginning of the interview that it could be a long time until we hear because they have to wait until they have their budget set to decide how many new ADA's to hire. I wouldn't hold your breath for any offers in the next two months.

cec

Postby cec » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Just got offer from Bronx and accepted immediately...I interviewed in November. Anyone else working there? I'd like to facebook add you :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

when did people apply to the bronx? august or september?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when did people apply to the bronx? august or september?

I applied in August and got an offer in December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:50 am

I had Bronx final-round interview 2 weeks ago and I'm losing sleep while waiting!
1) Has anyone else heard yes or no recently?
2) Am I definitely not a top pick and in a holding pattern of sorts if I have not heard yet? Or should I chill and wait more like a month before wondering? Or what?!
3) Should I send a silly letter emphasizing my interest and my relevant classes this semester, etc?
Sincerely,
Cluelessly Impatient

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had Bronx final-round interview 2 weeks ago and I'm losing sleep while waiting!
1) Has anyone else heard yes or no recently?
2) Am I definitely not a top pick and in a holding pattern of sorts if I have not heard yet? Or should I chill and wait more like a month before wondering? Or what?!
3) Should I send a silly letter emphasizing my interest and my relevant classes this semester, etc?
Sincerely,
Cluelessly Impatient

Well, I had my final-round a little more than a month ago, and I still have not heard anything. So I know how you feel!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I noticed people wondering about KCDA (aka Brooklyn DA). Don't be upset if you received a rejection. The majority of their staff comes from Brooklyn Law school. The DA is an alum of Brooklyn law and also teaches a class at the school. If you are in his class (and he likes you) you are basically guaranteed a job KCDA after graduation. You could have straight A's and be a student at Columbia law but that still won't guarantee you an interview with this office. Additionally, they won't even consider hiring you if you haven't interned with KCDA. So if you received a rejection, don't get too upset. Consider yourself lucky because they are also the lowest paying DA's office -- some felony attorneys at KCDA who have been there for more than 5 years are still making under $55,000 a year.

mmg3327

Postby mmg3327 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 am

Does anyone have any insight or advice about the Nassau DA's writing sample requirement? Any hints from those who have already done it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm

mmg3327 wrote:Does anyone have any insight or advice about the Nassau DA's writing sample requirement? Any hints from those who have already done it?

I was told it was just supposed to be more of a policy paper - no citations or bluebooking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Are you expected to send a thank you after the final round with a DA? It feels a little awkward to me but I don't want to get dinged because of not sending one. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you expected to send a thank you after the final round with a DA? It feels a little awkward to me but I don't want to get dinged because of not sending one. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Good question. For the final-round with the DA that I got, I did not send a thank-you note. Primarily because the recruitment person specifically said there is no "need" to send a thank-you (I took that to mean that we should not) - but also because I thought it would be a little awkward to send an email directly to the DA. As I see it, the ADAs who conduct the other interviews put their contact info out there, they'll hand you a card or tell you their phone # and email, so it is more expected that you will send them a thank-you. I feel like the DA would not want the general public being able to reach him/her directly by email (and I am not one for writing letters typically), so I thought thank-you notes should no longer apply at the final-round. But that's just me - you might feel differently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Not an NY DA office but I did send thank you letters to my first and second round interviewers as well as the state attorney. I received an offer during my interview (again, not a NY office) but I still felt like sending a thank you letter was appropriate. They were snail mail letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you expected to send a thank you after the final round with a DA? It feels a little awkward to me but I don't want to get dinged because of not sending one. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Good question. For the final-round with the DA that I got, I did not send a thank-you note. Primarily because the recruitment person specifically said there is no "need" to send a thank-you (I took that to mean that we should not) - but also because I thought it would be a little awkward to send an email directly to the DA. As I see it, the ADAs who conduct the other interviews put their contact info out there, they'll hand you a card or tell you their phone # and email, so it is more expected that you will send them a thank-you. I feel like the DA would not want the general public being able to reach him/her directly by email (and I am not one for writing letters typically), so I thought thank-you notes should no longer apply at the final-round. But that's just me - you might feel differently.

Thank you and the poster below for your responses. I decided to not send a thank you for many of these reasons. They didn't offer their contact info and it doesn't seem to be readily available on the internet, so I felt it might do more harm than good. I wish there was an etiquette manual for some of this stuff, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mmg3327 wrote:Just got the rejection letter from the Kings County (Brooklyn) DA. I applied in September. Graduated from CCN with good (but not award-worthy) grades. Did Moot Court and Mock Trial. Had prosecution and defense internships. Have been clerking since graduating.

I didn't even get a first round interview with the KCDA. Am I wrong to be shocked? Anyone have any insight into the process there?

For what it's worth, it's not a great office to work in. I'd count yourself as lucky, and I don't mean that as a baseless insult. I know not one soul who is happy there.

I received an offer from KCDA in early December and am surprised to read all the negative reviews it is gathering in this forum. Just in case you are wondering: T-20, Top 25%, interned at DANY this past summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Anyone know if Brooklyn is still hiring? I have an interview next week,

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Does anyone have a clue exactly how long of a wait it'll be before hearing back from Queens? 1 month, 3 months, 5 months? I've heard it could be as late as the summer but thats kind of insane. This whole process has taught me to be extremely patient, which is not easy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a clue exactly how long of a wait it'll be before hearing back from Queens? 1 month, 3 months, 5 months? I've heard it could be as late as the summer but thats kind of insane. This whole process has taught me to be extremely patient, which is not easy.

Yes, I have also heard that it could go into the summer because Queens has to figure out its budget and funding before making the hiring decisions. As it is, I am still waiting to hear back about a third-round interview (my panel was back in early November).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Has anyone heard from the Bronx DA recently? I interviewed almost two months ago and still haven't heard anything. I hope they are not finished hiring because I saw a few people had posted about receiving offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from the Bronx DA recently? I interviewed almost two months ago and still haven't heard anything. I hope they are not finished hiring because I saw a few people had posted about receiving offers.

Same position here. I had my third-round almost 2 months ago and am still anxiously waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Has anybody else heard back about a 4th round with Manhattan DA? If so, about how long after your 3rd round were you notified?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Has anyone who had a 3rd Round with Queens heard either way; especially curious if you have unfortunately been rejected, as I want to see whether they are holding off t on all decisions or only the possible offers. So if you haven't heard it would be a good sign as I assume

Return to “Legal Employment”