2013 NY DA Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2013 NY DA Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 am

Post updates on callbacks/offers from the big NY DA offices - Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan.

Anonymous User

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

they are coming to our OGI at a t10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Have had screeners at Bronx, Manhattan, and Philly. Have gotten a final callback for Philly, haven't heard back from Bronx or Manhattan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Screeners at Bronx and Queens, applied to Manhattan through their online system but haven't heard anything yet. For those of you with Manhattan screeners, we're they through OCI or a cold app?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Had a screener with the Bronx during OCI--haven't heard anything yet, but the interviewer said they move slowly. Have a first round Manhattan interview coming up. For Manhattan I applied online and heard back that I got an interview about a week later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with the Bronx during OCI--haven't heard anything yet, but the interviewer said they move slowly. Have a first round Manhattan interview coming up. For Manhattan I applied online and heard back that I got an interview about a week later.
Check the Bronx DA thread from last year to get a good idea of the timeline for hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:12 am

round 1 invitation from manhattan from direct application

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have had screeners at Bronx, Manhattan, and Philly. Have gotten a final callback for Philly, haven't heard back from Bronx or Manhattan.
I have a screener with philly in a couple of days. Should I be worried about hypotheticals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have had screeners at Bronx, Manhattan, and Philly. Have gotten a final callback for Philly, haven't heard back from Bronx or Manhattan.
I have a screener with philly in a couple of days. Should I be worried about hypotheticals?
Different Anon here. I had a Philly screener with an alumnus of my law school. No hypos, but I think those are reserved for the panel interview. Do you have the name of the person interviewing you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different Anon here. I had a Philly screener with an alumnus of my law school. No hypos, but I think those are reserved for the panel interview. Do you have the name of the person interviewing you?

Yes but I'd rather not say in case he is interviewing 1 person i don't want to out my self... i'm just paranoid about things like this...

So is it just going to be like a typical interview? Like asking me about my resume and why I want to do prosecution? Just kind of a chat to get an idea of my personality and qualifications?

Or is like throwing curve balls and trying to trip me: "Why are you better than all the other candidates? I see you got a "C" in contracts, explain? etc?"

I'm just nervous because i want this really bad. I want to be a ADA- that's it. Not applying to any other types of law jobs. And this seems to be a good location, good cost of living/salary (for DA) and good office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes but I'd rather not say in case he is interviewing 1 person i don't want to out my self... i'm just paranoid about things like this...

So is it just going to be like a typical interview? Like asking me about my resume and why I want to do prosecution? Just kind of a chat to get an idea of my personality and qualifications?

Or is like throwing curve balls and trying to trip me: "Why are you better than all the other candidates? I see you got a "C" in contracts, explain? etc?"

I'm just nervous because i want this really bad. I want to be a ADA- that's it. Not applying to any other types of law jobs. And this seems to be a good location, good cost of living/salary (for DA) and good office.
Since your interviewer is male and mine was female, I think it's safe to say that yours is another person. :wink:

The questions were along the lines of:
- Why prosecution and why Philly?
- If we could only hire one person, what would you tell us that would make us choose you over everyone else?
- [Looking at my resume] What did you learn at X job?
- We work in a city where no one is rooting for the prosecution, and we work long hours (about six days, 70+ hours each week). How would you handle that? What makes you think you could handle that?

I thought the questions were softballs. The hardest part was knowing when to shut up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes but I'd rather not say in case he is interviewing 1 person i don't want to out my self... i'm just paranoid about things like this...

Since your interviewer is male and mine was female, I think it's safe to say that yours is another person. :wink:

The questions were along the lines of:
- Why prosecution and why Philly?
- If we could only hire one person, what would you tell us that would make us choose you over everyone else?
- [Looking at my resume] What did you learn at X job?
- We work in a city where no one is rooting for the prosecution, and we work long hours (about six days, 70+ hours each week). How would you handle that? What makes you think you could handle that?

I thought the questions were softballs. The hardest part was knowing when to shut up.
yeah they seem like softballs. I mean those are the kind of questions i would expect. I also wonder if I should shut up. I never know if we are talking a long time because we are connecting or because I need to shut up, lol.

Do all the other big city offices expect you to work that many hours? That's kind of insane considering how low the pay is... Its also contrary to my experience working at DA's office and talking to DAs in smaller offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 pm

For those who have done a round one interview with the Manhattan DA, has anyone heard back about round two?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:20 pm

could someone clarify (and perhaps amend the title of this thread) - does this thread pertain to 2L summer or post-graduation employment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:they are coming to our OGI at a t10.
Using my magic powers of telepathy- the t10 is UVA (You guys are the only ones that call it OGI instead of OCI).

As to the guy above me- I was under the impression that this was for permanent employment. I've been talking about philly and that is certainly what I am interviewing for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 pm

I interviewed with Philly DA for those of you wondering about the callback. The callback hypos were pretty typical, although the atmosphere was "good cop, bad cop" with some of the interviewers acting very friendly and casual, while others were hostile and firing questions at me. My main gripe is that one of the interviewers refused to shake my hand at the end, which was completely awkward. It was a panel interview, but I still I hope that none of you interview with that ADA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Philly DA for those of you wondering about the callback. The callback hypos were pretty typical, although the atmosphere was "good cop, bad cop" with some of the interviewers acting very friendly and casual, while others were hostile and firing questions at me. My main gripe is that one of the interviewers refused to shake my hand at the end, which was completely awkward. It was a panel interview, but I still I hope that none of you interview with that ADA.

Thanks for the info. I bet the not-shaking-your-hand was part of the bad cop thing. I find it hard to believe that someone is that big of an a-hole. Probably just trying to see how do under pressure, "can you handle it" etc. Sounds like you kept your cool though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

red shirt guy

New

Post by red shirt guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Philly DA for those of you wondering about the callback. The callback hypos were pretty typical, although the atmosphere was "good cop, bad cop" with some of the interviewers acting very friendly and casual, while others were hostile and firing questions at me. My main gripe is that one of the interviewers refused to shake my hand at the end, which was completely awkward. It was a panel interview, but I still I hope that none of you interview with that ADA.
What do you mean refused to shake your hand? You stuck yours out and he was like, "no, I'm not doing that"??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:11 am

Applied online for Manhattan DA back in August when the applications first became available - haven't heard anything back yet. Should I re-sumbit??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Applied online for Manhattan DA back in August when the applications first became available - haven't heard anything back yet. Should I re-sumbit??

NYDA specifically asks you not to resubmit and they respond to all applications. If you received a confirmation email, you're good. I'm with you, the wait sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 am

red shirt guy wrote:
What do you mean refused to shake your hand? You stuck yours out and he was like, "no, I'm not doing that"??
Yes. I shook hands with all my interviewers at the end. But one ADA said, "No, I'm all set." when I extended my hand. I was at a loss for words.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

red shirt guy

New

Post by red shirt guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
red shirt guy wrote:
Yes. I shook hands with all my interviewers at the end. But one ADA said, "No, I'm all set." when I extended my hand. I was at a loss for words.
Haha wow, that is wild.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am

I know this says NY DA Office, but since people are posting about Philadelphia... has anyone heard back from Baltimore?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 pm

For Professional References, is there a cutoff as to how senior the reference should be? I am a practicing attorney looking to lateral to a DA's office, but have kept it quiet at my current firm. One friend/colleague of mine does know, but he is a 3rd year associate. I work with him closely, so he has a good basis for an opinion, but would he be considered too junior? Thanks for any input.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:47 am

Can someone explain what the heck this statement of interest that some of the offices require and how in the world it differs from the content of my cover letter (my cover letter explains why that office, crim. experience, and why prosecution).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”