monthly rent budget for clerking in NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Re: monthly rent budget for clerking in NYC

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 pm

dingbat wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dingbat wrote:
rayiner wrote:Live in Jersey. You won't pay NYC city tax, which will save you a couple of hundred a month, plus it's a very fast commute on the PATH to the federal courthouse in lower manhattan. Look at places around the Journal Square and Grove Street PATH stations.

wrong. If you live in Jersey but work in NY, you are liable for NYC city tax.
Hoboken is nice, but Jersey City is a dump. Both are more affordable than Manhattan.

Nope: http://www.akerman.com/documents/res.asp?id=1089

You shoulda told HR you lived in the dirty Jerz bro.

That doesn't address source of income. A non-resident is liable for NY State (and city) income tax for all NY source income (being one's salary, if your job is in NY)there are exceptions
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

Edit: scooped.

That just says you're liable for NY State tax for income sources in NY State. You're only liable for NY City Resident tax if you live in the city: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/servic ... come.shtml

Who must pay this Tax?
Every income-earning individual, estate and trust residing in New York City must pay personal income tax. Part-year residents figure their tax based on income and deductions on the days lived in NYC.

Most people living outside the City are not subject to NYC personal income tax. However, non-city residents who are Employees of New York City must file Form 1127 and pay taxes each year. The amount is equal to the personal income tax they would owe if they were City residents.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 pm

I stand corrected

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 am

I'm in the same boat as a clerk looking for apartments in Manhattan. Making the rent isn't a big deal, it's the bureaucratic nightmare that is getting the apartment, the 6-10K upfront outlay, having to deal with brokers because I don't have time to look another way, moving, and maybe not even getting approved because I don't make 40X the rent (not to mention I don't start in September!) and my parents don't make enough to co-sign even if I asked them. I keep thinking the draconian requirements are broker flame that just exist for them to bargain away and claim they are worth the 15% fee. The entire rental market must be driven by junior finance people, biglawyers, and trust fund babies.

Anyone have any tips?

presh

Postby presh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:53 am

presh wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I'm in the same boat as a clerk looking for apartments in Manhattan. Making the rent isn't a big deal, it's the bureaucratic nightmare that is getting the apartment, the 6-10K upfront outlay, having to deal with brokers because I don't have time to look another way, moving, and maybe not even getting approved because I don't make 40X the rent (not to mention I don't start in September!) and my parents don't make enough to co-sign even if I asked them. I keep thinking the draconian requirements are broker flame that just exist for them to bargain away and claim they are worth the 15% fee. The entire rental market must be driven by junior finance people, biglawyers, and trust fund babies.

Anyone have any tips?

Have you tried Craigslist/Padmapper? There is some bullshit on there, but some of it is legit. Also, if you are okay with roommates, that is an easy way to skip over the broker fee. It sounds like most people here aren't though, which I totally understand as I love not having roommates.

Padmapper has always been my favorite since it allows you to pick price range, neighborhood, etc., but I haven't had to use it in NY.

This. You don't need to upfront anywhere near that amount of money. Avoid brokers and find non-crazy people who want to sublet.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 am

Live lovely is slightly better than pad mapper

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 am

Last I checked padmapper (and any other site that combs CL for data) got choked out by CL, though that might have changed.

presh

Postby presh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presh

Postby presh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:17 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 am

legalmindedfella wrote:
presh wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I'm in the same boat as a clerk looking for apartments in Manhattan. Making the rent isn't a big deal, it's the bureaucratic nightmare that is getting the apartment, the 6-10K upfront outlay, having to deal with brokers because I don't have time to look another way, moving, and maybe not even getting approved because I don't make 40X the rent (not to mention I don't start in September!) and my parents don't make enough to co-sign even if I asked them. I keep thinking the draconian requirements are broker flame that just exist for them to bargain away and claim they are worth the 15% fee. The entire rental market must be driven by junior finance people, biglawyers, and trust fund babies.

Anyone have any tips?

Have you tried Craigslist/Padmapper? There is some bullshit on there, but some of it is legit. Also, if you are okay with roommates, that is an easy way to skip over the broker fee. It sounds like most people here aren't though, which I totally understand as I love not having roommates.

Padmapper has always been my favorite since it allows you to pick price range, neighborhood, etc., but I haven't had to use it in NY.

This. You don't need to upfront anywhere near that amount of money. Avoid brokers and find non-crazy people who want to sublet.

Do you mean the type of situation where I sublet until the end of the lease term and hope to just renew the lease?

Padmapper looks like it is mostly good stuff, although broker fee. CL seems like mostly scams.

I thought about roommates but decided against it for personal reasons. I'm fine with overpaying on rent for the size of the apartment, but getting approved might be a problem.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:03 am

timbs4339 wrote:
legalmindedfella wrote:
presh wrote:

Anyone have any tips?

Do you mean the type of situation where I sublet until the end of the lease term and hope to just renew the lease?

Padmapper looks like it is mostly good stuff, although broker fee. CL seems like mostly scams.

I thought about roommates but decided against it for personal reasons. I'm fine with overpaying on rent for the size of the apartment, but getting approved might be a problem.

If you're against roommates then you're going to be looking somewhere a broker controls and for the most part the pricing advice doesn't apply, since you'll have a fair amount out of pocket (though month-to-month the rent is likely less than reports might make you think). I don't know how you would sublet without someone else holding the lease; if it's someone who's heading out of town and wanting to help you out, tough to know who would do that for a year-long gig.

CL may be mostly scams, but this doesn't really matter; in a city of millions of people, if you are able to show good judgment in what you look at/believe there's going to be something in your range.

Anyways, if not having roommates is that important, then sure, $2k/month is reasonable, and you can definitely swing something; no need to consult the crowd w/r/t details, someone will accommodate.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Fuck it, I'm moving to Queens.

RyanOlsenRealEstate

Postby RyanOlsenRealEstate » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Spam

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Astoria is pretty much the way to go these days. The parts of Brooklyn that are cool and convenient are almost as expensive as Manhattan these days. The parts of Brooklyn that are affordable are less fun/further away than Astoria or LIC. The only caveat is if you have a lot of friends already in Brooklyn, in which case you need to live in Brooklyn or Manhattan or make new friends.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:This. You don't need to upfront anywhere near that amount of money. Avoid brokers and find non-crazy people who want to sublet.

Well, at the very least you need to be ready when you see an apartment you like with a check in hand to cover first, last and security. So depending on your rent, you might have to shell out $6K+ up front.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Speaking of streeteasy... the people on the forums there may be the worst people on the internet. It's like XO except with NYC brokers instead of failed big lawyers.

Return to “Legal Employment”