Exit Options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit Options

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:57 am

Do exit options decrease significantly when you enter a more specialized practice group instead of general lit/corp? I am specifically interested in the exit options for project finance, but information relating to exit options for any "less general" practice groups is appreciated as well.

manofjustice

Re: Exit Options

Postby manofjustice » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:22 am

It would seem to me exit options would get much better. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but in this day and age, "general" anything seems out of demand.

User is a 1L but has been warned.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 pm

manofjustice wrote:It would seem to me exit options would get much better. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but in this day and age, "general" anything seems out of demand.

Wrong.

General public M&A provides the best exit options by far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Anyone else?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:45 pm

This is impossible to answer.

It depends on what area you specialize in, what market (geographically) you are in, what you consider desirable "exit options," whether you have any type of portable business, and probably most importantly, what the general market and economy are like when you decide to exit or lateral out.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:52 pm

anon168 wrote:This is impossible to answer.

It depends on what area you specialize in, what market (geographically) you are in, what you consider desirable "exit options," whether you have any type of portable business, and probably most importantly, what the general market and economy are like when you decide to exit or lateral out.

And clients your firm has.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Can anyone discuss exit options for hedge fund or private equity firm work? I'm not thrilled about the possibility of being pigeonholed early on, but if the exit options are good, it would help to know that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone discuss exit options for hedge fund or private equity firm work? I'm not thrilled about the possibility of being pigeonholed early on, but if the exit options are good, it would help to know that.

Bump. I'm also quite interested in this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone discuss exit options for hedge fund or private equity firm work? I'm not thrilled about the possibility of being pigeonholed early on, but if the exit options are good, it would help to know that.

From speaking with some investment management group associates at Schulte (by far the biggest servicer of hedge fund clients) the exit opportunities seem plentiful but limited. You will be looking at a compliance job, not business-side. Still a fine gig, but you're not going to be taking meetings with Ray Dalio or anything. If you stick around until partner, there is some precedent for exiting to an actual management role if the client relationships are strong enough, but you're in lottery winning odds territory here. Can't really speak for PE, but I imagine it's similar, only with Simpson/Kirkland replacing Schulte.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:00 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
manofjustice wrote:It would seem to me exit options would get much better. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but in this day and age, "general" anything seems out of demand.

Wrong.

General public M&A provides the best exit options by far.

Is this conventional wisdom?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 am

I love how some of us are making life altering decisions, and people think it's fine to just give BS answers.

Return to “Legal Employment”