Telling a firm about an expiring offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Telling a firm about an expiring offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:17 am

I have an offer from a NYC firm that will expire in 2 weeks. However, I also have some callbacks scheduled this week for firms in Philadelphia, where I would rather be for family reasons. These firms are a lot slower about getting back to people, though, so I want to tell the Philly firms about my NYC offer. I have tons of questions:

1) Will doing this actually speed up a firm's decision timeline?

2) At what stage during the process is it appropriate to tell the Philly firm about my offer? During the callback itself? Email the recruiter afterward?

3) Can I ask for an extension from the NYC firm if it becomes necessary? And does this make it look like I don't really want that firm and am just waiting for a better offer?

4) My big question: Philly is a town notoriously worried about being used as a backup to NYC, and my ties are pretty good but are not that apparent from my resume. If I tell the Philly firms about the NYC offer are they going to doubt my desire to be in their market? Can I just tell them I do have an offer, and if they ask at which firm, say that I would rather keep that private?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Telling a firm about an expiring offer

Postby arism87 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from a NYC firm that will expire in 2 weeks. However, I also have some callbacks scheduled this week for firms in Philadelphia, where I would rather be for family reasons. These firms are a lot slower about getting back to people, though, so I want to tell the Philly firms about my NYC offer. I have tons of questions:

1) Will doing this actually speed up a firm's decision timeline?

2) At what stage during the process is it appropriate to tell the Philly firm about my offer? During the callback itself? Email the recruiter afterward?

3) Can I ask for an extension from the NYC firm if it becomes necessary? And does this make it look like I don't really want that firm and am just waiting for a better offer?

4) My big question: Philly is a town notoriously worried about being used as a backup to NYC, and my ties are pretty good but are not that apparent from my resume. If I tell the Philly firms about the NYC offer are they going to doubt my desire to be in their market? Can I just tell them I do have an offer, and if they ask at which firm, say that I would rather keep that private?


In my random, uniformed opinion: I would ask to get an extension first- this is definitely something firms are used to and understand, and they already gave you an offer- the worst they would do is say no. If they do say no, I'd mention the offer to the Philly firms but definitely give it a few days after the callback for reasons that you said- you don't want their initial impression to be that you're a NYC person. That said, if you eventually say you have this offer but you prefer their firm, it's pretty clear that you are really trying to get to Philly. You can explain that you used NYC as a backup because the legal field is so much larger there and it seems hard to break into Philly's market. It will likely speed up the decision I think, but it could just be speeding up a no where you were otherwise being held.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm about an expiring offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from a NYC firm that will expire in 2 weeks. However, I also have some callbacks scheduled this week for firms in Philadelphia, where I would rather be for family reasons. These firms are a lot slower about getting back to people, though, so I want to tell the Philly firms about my NYC offer. I have tons of questions:

1) Will doing this actually speed up a firm's decision timeline?

2) At what stage during the process is it appropriate to tell the Philly firm about my offer? During the callback itself? Email the recruiter afterward?

3) Can I ask for an extension from the NYC firm if it becomes necessary? And does this make it look like I don't really want that firm and am just waiting for a better offer?

4) My big question: Philly is a town notoriously worried about being used as a backup to NYC, and my ties are pretty good but are not that apparent from my resume. If I tell the Philly firms about the NYC offer are they going to doubt my desire to be in their market? Can I just tell them I do have an offer, and if they ask at which firm, say that I would rather keep that private?


I've had to do this a number of times lately, with an offer expiring sooner than yours. In my experience, I've just told the recruiters that I have an offer expiring, and I've dealt solely with them about it. They usually tell me that they will make sure to get me a decision by my deadline, which is pretty nice of them. So in answers to your questions:
1) Yes, I think it can dramatically speed up a firm's decision timeline, without negative effects.
2) I told the recruiter after all of the CB interviews were done, but before I left the building. I've then emailed reminders as my deadline has approached.
3) I don't have any experience with this, and don't intend to ask for an extension.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.