Miami Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Miami Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:30 am

Do White&Case, GT, and Akerman dominate the market? Are there any well-respected litigation boutiques?

How tough is it to break into the miami market? My 3l girlfriend is from Miami and has an offer at a mid-size firm. I'm clerking for a federal district judge across the country for a year. If I decided to move there with her next year, would it be tough to land a big firm job without any real ties?

I'd appreciate insight from anyone who knows about Miami biglaw

anon168

Re: Miami Biglaw

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do White&Case, GT, and Akerman dominate the market? Are there any well-respected litigation boutiques?

How tough is it to break into the miami market? My 3l girlfriend is from Miami and has an offer at a mid-size firm. I'm clerking for a federal district judge across the country for a year. If I decided to move there with her next year, would it be tough to land a big firm job without any real ties?

I would say having a SO work in Miami counts as a "real tie" to the market.

That said, I've known people who have had offers from GT without any ties to the market, except for the fact that they thought living in South Beach would be kind of cool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am

would firms even consider me for a job until I pass the FL bar? Until recently I thought I was gonna stay in CA and I have no idea how this shit works

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do White&Case, GT, and Akerman dominate the market? Are there any well-respected litigation boutiques?

Places like H&K and Bilzin are also worth mentioning in the same breath as GT and the like. See Chambers for a list of solid SoFla boutiques.

Miami offices do tend to be fairly suspicious of newbies to the area. I think having a fiance working there as opposed to just a GF would get you further.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:would firms even consider me for a job until I pass the FL bar? Until recently I thought I was gonna stay in CA and I have no idea how this shit works

Not Miami biglaw.

Return to “Legal Employment”