If and How to Re-Mass-Mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re-Mass-Mail?

Leave it
33%
Yes, from scratch
17%
Yes, as a follow up
50%

Total votes: 6

Anonymous User

If and How to Re-Mass-Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 pm

So, I mailed all firms in my home/major market (around 150 large firms), and received only rejections thus far (say around 40 or so), 0 screeners. I received pre-selects from firms ranging from V10 to V50 at OCI, so I am definitely within grade range, but my resume was passed up by the system in early August (i.e. they thought they would fill up through OCI or whatever).

1) Does it pay to re-send firms that rejected?
1a) If so when?
1b) Do I mention I sent in resume earlier?

2) Do I re-send firms that have no response?
2a) If so when?
2b) Do I mention an earlier mailing in the mass mail, or just start like I never sent it before?

3) I was contacted by about 10 firms asking for writing samples or what office I was interested in, and I responded appropriately. How to follow up and get screeners at these firms? (Obviously, they had some interest if they contacted me).

4) When and how do I start mass-mailing markets with no ties and how succesful can this be?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: If and How to Re-Mass-Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 am

interested in this too

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) Does it pay to re-send firms that rejected?
1a) If so when?
1b) Do I mention I sent in resume earlier?

1) Do not resend to firms that rejected. Rejected = there's no way we'll want you to work for us. Resending will come off very badly. Plus, what are you going to say? "I know you rejected me before, but I REALLY REALLY think I'm good enough!!"

Anonymous User wrote:2) Do I re-send firms that have no response?
2a) If so when?
2b) Do I mention an earlier mailing in the mass mail, or just start like I never sent it before?

3) I was contacted by about 10 firms asking for writing samples or what office I was interested in, and I responded appropriately. How to follow up and get screeners at these firms? (Obviously, they had some interest if they contacted me).

Don't follow up unless you have an impending offer deadline from somewhere else. There are three piles: (1) they like you, and you are in the screener/call-back pile; (2) they're iffy about you, and you are in hold pile until their preferred applicants reject them, at which point they'll call you; (3) you are in the rejection pile. The only reason to follow up is to get moved from pile #2 to #1 (people rarely move out of pile #3), and that will only happen if there is some change in circumstance (like an offer from somewhere else). Otherwise, sit back and wait for either screener call, or rejection email/letter.

Anonymous User wrote:4) When and how do I start mass-mailing markets with no ties and how succesful can this be?

Thanks.

Start yesterday. It probably won't be successful, but if you're working minimum wage at Fry's (http://abovethelaw.com/2012/08/quote-of-the-day-i-can-believe-that) once you graduate, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it on the off chance that it worked.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 am

zomginternets wrote:Don't follow up unless you have an impending offer deadline from somewhere else. There are three piles: (1) they like you, and you are in the screener/call-back pile; (2) they're iffy about you, and you are in hold pile until their preferred applicants reject them, at which point they'll call you; (3) you are in the rejection pile. The only reason to follow up is to get moved from pile #2 to #1 (people rarely move out of pile #3), and that will only happen if there is some change in circumstance (like an offer from somewhere else). Otherwise, sit back and wait for either screener call, or rejection email/letter.

I disagree. I'd politely re-affirm your interest.

Start yesterday. It probably won't be successful, but if you're working minimum wage at Fry's (http://abovethelaw.com/2012/08/quote-of-the-day-i-can-believe-that) once you graduate, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it on the off chance that it worked.

You'll probably be unsuccessful most of the time, but you only need one offer.

I got CBs and offers in a markets where I had no ties. None at all. Not even a little bit of a tie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 am

I've had some success mass mailing my hometown market FWIW. Got 2 CBs out of it. I am hoping to get a couple more.

Did not mean to post this anon.

Return to “Legal Employment”