PH or PR for employment law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

paul hastings or proskauer for employment law in NY?

paul hastings
32%
proskauer rose
68%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

PH or PR for employment law?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am

dead set on employment law. enjoyed both my interviews very much. want to stay in NYC. proskauer rose or paul hastings? thanks for the help!

somewhatwayward

Re: PH or PR for employment law?

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 pm

i don't know about the strength of their respective employment law practices, but there have been some rumblings on this board about no-offer shenanigans at PH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:41 pm

OP: When you interviewed with them, how did you phrase your interest in employment law? Did you tell them you were interested in employment law and that is it, or did you express that you were still interested in a variety of areas? I am very interested in employment law and my resume is entirely employment related, and I am afraid that I am not getting as many CBs as I should because of my narrow interest. Any advice you could provide on how you phrased your practice area interest is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:42 pm

go to weil

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:47 pm

both places appear to have pretty good labor practices, but I think PH wins in terms of pure practice strength. with PR they're more about entertainment i think. but PR might be safer in terms of offer rates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:56 pm

OP here:

To the anon interested in employment law— I always phrase my interest as "particularly interested in employment law, but open to general litigation as well" (even though my resume is entirely employment related, like yours). I plan on focusing on employment as much as possible once I join a summer program. I have found that the firms with strong employment practices have been really excited about my narrowed interests, so don't shy away from it too much. Good luck with your callbacks, I'm sure something will pan out!

As for the Weil comment— I'm looking for a firm with an employment practice that covers multiple offices rather than just the NY one (I have found through research that when only one office has employment, the group serves more of a "support" role for other primary practice groups rather than bringing in its own clients).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

To the anon interested in employment law— I always phrase my interest as "particularly interested in employment law, but open to general litigation as well" (even though my resume is entirely employment related, like yours). I plan on focusing on employment as much as possible once I join a summer program. I have found that the firms with strong employment practices have been really excited about my narrowed interests, so don't shy away from it too much. Good luck with your callbacks, I'm sure something will pan out!

As for the Weil comment— I'm looking for a firm with an employment practice that covers multiple offices rather than just the NY one (I have found through research that when only one office has employment, the group serves more of a "support" role for other primary practice groups rather than bringing in its own clients).

Weil's employment group does bring in its own clients, and I think employment is done in both NYC and Dallas. They are definitely hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Both have good labor practices, but PH has the strongest in the country. And the "rumblings" on here re: no offers are vastly overstated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm

OP here— how are they overstated? It sounds like PH in NY (and beyond) had an unusually bad experience this summer…

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Both have good labor practices, but PH has the strongest in the country. And the "rumblings" on here re: no offers are vastly overstated.

Really? I worked my ass off for PH all summer and then got blindsided with a no offer. Sounds like the same thing happened to several other people, including 3 of 8 in Atlanta. What is your source that anything is overstated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:33 am

My source is that I was a summer in a big office where they offered well over 90%.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 am

I'd recommend Proskauer for a few reasons:

1) L&E grp. in NYC is much larger than PH's, i.e. see NALP practice areas for their respective NYC offices
2) Proskauer can likely hire more people into that grp. I'm sure you're aware that at both of these firms you don't join the litigation department, but you join the L&E grp and are confined to it upon starting. I know PH takes 1-3 SAs a year into the grp. I imagine because Proskauer's size is larger, they take more.
3) Proskauer also does more labor work than PH.
4) Proskauer definitely has a much nicer NYC office.

Return to “Legal Employment”