Fly Out On My Own?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fly Out On My Own?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

I had a phone interview with a firm that is not located near my school. He was very adamant about me calling him if I'm going to be in his area any time soon. I have no plans of being there, but should I pay for a flight and be like, "Hey by the way it looks like I'll be there in 2 weeks?" Or should I just wait? He said he'd let me know what they decide within 2 weeks.

It's not a huge firm and I think they are hesitant to pay to fly me out. Also, I'm sure they have a pool of good applicants that they can interview at no cost to them. So I'm worried that if I don't fly myself out there, they will just use the people they have and tell me to fuck off.

Firms aren't exactly knocking my door down to hire me either. I struck out at OCI and only have 2 CB's scheduled so far.

What do you think I should do?

Your input is greatly appreciated

glitter178

Re: Fly Out On My Own?

Postby glitter178 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a phone interview with a firm that is not located near my school. He was very adamant about me calling him if I'm going to be in his area any time soon. I have no plans of being there, but should I pay for a flight and be like, "Hey by the way it looks like I'll be there in 2 weeks?" Or should I just wait? He said he'd let me know what they decide within 2 weeks.

It's not a huge firm and I think they are hesitant to pay to fly me out. Also, I'm sure they have a pool of good applicants that they can interview at no cost to them. So I'm worried that if I don't fly myself out there, they will just use the people they have and tell me to fuck off.

Firms aren't exactly knocking my door down to hire me either. I struck out at OCI and only have 2 CB's scheduled so far.

If you can afford it, go.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a phone interview with a firm that is not located near my school. He was very adamant about me calling him if I'm going to be in his area any time soon. I have no plans of being there, but should I pay for a flight and be like, "Hey by the way it looks like I'll be there in 2 weeks?" Or should I just wait? He said he'd let me know what they decide within 2 weeks.

If you can afford it, go.

No way. A firm that won't fly you out for an interview isn't a cost-effective place to fly to for an interview.

mdfreeman

Postby mdfreeman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Tell them you're going to be out there on X date. If they say, hey come by and let's interview, then book your ticket. If not, don't. If they call you on X date, just say something came up and you weren't able to fly out but you'd be happy to interview with them at Y date.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:22 pm

A job interview at a firm that isn't willing to pay your way is not likely to turn into a job and not worth hundreds of dollars and several hours/days of your time.

Return to “Legal Employment”