Callbacks Split By a Long Weekend Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callbacks Split By a Long Weekend

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm flying out for callbacks this Thursday, Friday, and the following Tuesday (Monday is labor day). It doesn't really make sense, timewise or financially, for me to fly back to school on Friday and then back to the city on Monday. Ideally, I would be able to stay with friends in the city during the weekend, but I'm not having much luck finding someone who can put me up. Is it outrageous/inappropriate for me to ask the firms if they are willing to pay for my hotel over the long weekend?

Bramwell

New

Re: Callbacks Split By a Long Weekend

Post by Bramwell » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Call the firms you are interviewing with and tell them the situation. It is very common for firms to share costs when a candidate is doing multiple interviews on a single visit. Let them decide whether they would like to pay for a hotel for those nights or simply have you fly back and forth.

Depending on how far you are flying, either option is reasonable.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Yes. The kinds of hotels these firms use...that will cost way more than them simply flying you back out. Even with their discount, the average hotel bill for my callback last year was over $500 a night.

I'd call the Tuesday firm but be prepared for the Tuesday firm to squeeze you in on Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Giving some more details, please don't quote

I think you are probably right that it is cheaper to fly back to school and then back to the city since round trip airfare is $300-400.

However, the interviews are in boston which might decrease the hotel room cost (anyone know?) and I certainly wouldn't be asking them to reimburse me for food over the weekend or anything like that. I know my CB room in NY was less than $300. I also would not be expecting them to put me up in the nicest hotel available. With all of that said, still inappropriate?

Edit: Tuesday firm does not want to interview until that week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 pm

In a similar position as you. I've brought it up indirectly with a few firms and the travel agents all seem to default to requiring the flights.

At this point, time is so short I'm just going to go with it. Thinking of it as someone paying me $700 or so to fly back and forth across the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm

So I have this same issue where I will be in NYC on Friday and then again on Monday. Luckily I have friends in the area so I plan on just staying with them for the weekend and flying home on Monday afternoon. Is it possible for you to do something like this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 pm

I have the same issue, but entirely cross-continental so I really don't want to go back and forth. I decided to just go visit my parents during the long weekend and ate the costs of flying roundtrip from my interview city to my parent's city and back for the weekend by myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”