"One Firm" and Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"One Firm" and Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:29 pm

So, firms which market themselves as being "one firm" (i.e. doing interviews for all offices) interviewed on my campus this week. I expressed interest in their SF/SV office, even though I'm in a completely different city far away. How long does it take to get a callback in that scenario? Does it generally take the same amount of time? Or does it take longer because a firm in another time zone has to approve or something?

BrendanD

Re: "One Firm" and Callbacks

Postby BrendanD » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Do you really think that anyone here knows how long an anonymous firm is going to take to do callbacks for an unknown school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you really think that anyone here knows how long an anonymous firm is going to take to do callbacks for an unknown school?

Yes. Absolutely. ;-) I'm sure there are anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Fwiw, at HLS, callbacks for California (LA & San Fran) are still rolling in a full week after EIP ended, though I don't know if they were for firms that interviewed as "one firm". I haven't heard of similar things from other markets, though I admit I haven't really kept a pulse on them either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Do they also bill themselves as "worldwide"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do they also bill themselves as "worldwide"?

Lol.

Does it rhyme with "Bones gay" ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do they also bill themselves as "worldwide"?

Lol.

Does it rhyme with "Bones gay" ?

Okay, yes, one of them is Jones Day. The other two are Latham and Cooley. Latham callbacks for the city I am in have apparently happened, but I don't know if that means they're still waiting for SF/SV to issue a decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 pm

I did a screening interview with Latham at OCI for an office in another city. They asked me to set up a phone call with someone from the office I was interested in, before inviting me for a callback. I think it was a few days before I heard back from the first interviewer, and then another couple days before I was able to talk to the other office. I did this with a few other firms and most of them needed to coordinate with the other office, which I think may have added a day or two to the process, but it didn't seem to drastically change the timeline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question about one of the firm's you listed that advertises itself as "one firm."

So I did an OCI interview w/ one of them and didn't get a callback. I then applied to another one of their offices which is in my hometown and they invited me for a CB.

Do you think that the office I'm doing a CB with knows that I interviewed with their other office? The 2 offices are literally on different sides of the country.

And do you think they'll ask me about OCI at my school and why I didn't originally interview for their office?

Kinda worried about this possibility and don't really know how to approach it if it comes up.

Hope I didn't steal your thread too bad. Just thought this seems appropriate based on your thread title.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did a screening interview with Latham at OCI for an office in another city. They asked me to set up a phone call with someone from the office I was interested in, before inviting me for a callback. I think it was a few days before I heard back from the first interviewer, and then another couple days before I was able to talk to the other office. I did this with a few other firms and most of them needed to coordinate with the other office, which I think may have added a day or two to the process, but it didn't seem to drastically change the timeline.

Great, thank you so much. This is really helpful and what I was looking for. :-)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question about one of the firm's you listed that advertises itself as "one firm."

So I did an OCI interview w/ one of them and didn't get a callback. I then applied to another one of their offices which is in my hometown and they invited me for a CB.

Do you think that the office I'm doing a CB with knows that I interviewed with their other office? The 2 offices are literally on different sides of the country.

And do you think they'll ask me about OCI at my school and why I didn't originally interview for their office?

Kinda worried about this possibility and don't really know how to approach it if it comes up.

Hope I didn't steal your thread too bad. Just thought this seems appropriate based on your thread title.

I don't know... my biggest concern would be whether this runs afoul of some of the "no multiple interview" rules that may exist in OCI. I'd talk about it with your CDO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question about one of the firm's you listed that advertises itself as "one firm."

I don't know... my biggest concern would be whether this runs afoul of some of the "no multiple interview" rules that may exist in OCI. I'd talk about it with your CDO.

Agreed, but if the office that you're doing a CB with didn't come to OCI, it wouldn't run against the no multiple interview rule

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed, but if the office that you're doing a CB with didn't come to OCI, it wouldn't run against the no multiple interview rule

I would be very surprised if interviewing outside of OCI would violate any rules. I have seen it plenty and even done it myself.

Return to “Legal Employment”