Feasibility of Two Callbacks in one day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feasibility of Two Callbacks in one day

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 am

Yes, I know the pinned topic says to avoid it if you can: but how hard are they really?

Just looking for some firsthand anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Re: Feasibility of Two Callbacks in one day

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 am

I consider myself a great interviewer and its rough. If you get a weird/tough interviewer towards the end of the 2nd one it is much less likely you'll be able to "save it" because you'll be mentally exhausted by that point also.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 am

It's not ideal, but it is certainly doable. People have 8+ screeners at OCI fairly often, and having 2 callbacks is only slightly more than that.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 am

It's doable but stupid.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:24 am

existenz wrote:It's doable but stupid.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 am

It's not just about energy, either. There are legitimate logistical concerns. Unless the buildings are across the street from each other, you can't know for sure that you will make the second CB on time. Even assuming they are across the street from each other, you can't plan for certain things like a late interview or an interview (or interviews) that goes (go) too long.

More importantly, the risk/reward ratio is nill. You aren't paying for transportation costs, so what does it matter? Stay another day. Do you think your Crim Pro or Intro to Corporations professors being pissed off that you're missing another day of class matters more than getting a job?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 am

I've done 2 in a day and I'm scheduled to do it again- I think it depends on your situation and also the interviews. If you have 2 callbacks total and/or all your interviews are near your law school, it's probably not the best decision. But if you're sitting on quite a few callbacks in other cities and have obligations at home, whatever they may be, I think it's totally feasible to do 2 in a day- especially where one or both interviews is only 2 hours and doesn't include a meal. I made sure there was a BIG gap between them and also let the earlier firm know about the time constraint- they totally understand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 am

Depends on your style IMO.

For some people, it's a terrible idea because they need to do a binder's worth of research on the firm and interviewer to feel comfortable having a 20 minute conversation. If you're that kind of person, two callbacks in one day will probably be a bad idea since it will essentially be 10-14 screeners.
If, however, you're the kind of kid who does 2 minutes of prep per screener and still does well enough to get callbacks, then 2 callbacks in a day will be nothing difficult.

Personally, the only research I did before any screeners was to learn how to pronounce the name of the firm. I've done multiple days of back-to-back callbacks and it's really not bad at all. But then again, the only research I do before callbacks is finding out where the firm is located. Your experience may vary but I've got 3 offers in the v5-25 range doing it this way and still several more double days of callbacks to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 am

Tanicius wrote:It's not just about energy, either. There are legitimate logistical concerns. Unless the buildings are across the street from each other, you can't know for sure that you will make the second CB on time. Even assuming they are across the street from each other, you can't plan for certain things like a late interview or an interview (or interviews) that goes (go) too long.

More importantly, the risk/reward ratio is nill. You aren't paying for transportation costs, so what does it matter? Stay another day. Do you think your Crim Pro or Intro to Corporations professors being pissed off that you're missing another day of class matters more than getting a job?

There are logistical concerns the other way, you know. If you have more than a dozen callbacks to schedule, spreading that out over 12 different business days means that you're pushing some firms until well after labor day. Conventional wisdom with any rolling admissions process is that they get more selective the later into the process it gets. You may well be shooting yourself in the foot by stretching the process out rather than condensing it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

It depends on the firms. I did a couple two-in-one-days last year, but they were mostly midlaw and didn't have lunch or anything like that.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 am

Logistical/timing concerns aside, if you have the energy to do it, then go for it. It's a LONG, exhausting day, though.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:It's not just about energy, either. There are legitimate logistical concerns. Unless the buildings are across the street from each other, you can't know for sure that you will make the second CB on time. Even assuming they are across the street from each other, you can't plan for certain things like a late interview or an interview (or interviews) that goes (go) too long.

There are logistical concerns the other way, you know. If you have more than a dozen callbacks to schedule, spreading that out over 12 different business days means that you're pushing some firms until well after labor day. Conventional wisdom with any rolling admissions process is that they get more selective the later into the process it gets. You may well be shooting yourself in the foot by stretching the process out rather than condensing it.

Yeah, when I did it, I didn't have a choice. The firm in the afternoon was smaller, and asked me to schedule it on the same day as a different callback, presumably so they could save money.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:There are logistical concerns the other way, you know. If you have more than a dozen callbacks to schedule, spreading that out over 12 different business days means that you're pushing some firms until well after labor day. Conventional wisdom with any rolling admissions process is that they get more selective the later into the process it gets. You may well be shooting yourself in the foot by stretching the process out rather than condensing it.

This is a great point. How late do you think is too late to do a callback, anyway?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 am

I did 2-2-1-0-2 from Monday to Friday.
This was doable, tiring but efficient.
If you plan it carefully it can work, just give yourself ample time in between the morning and afternoon sessions.
The usual apply: get good rest, exercise if you can, eat as well as you can. Have your notes & questions prepared in advance. If you've got friends in town at the same time, then have dinner together in the evening - it gives you perspective.
I was mentally tired by the end of the day, but it is easier than a full day of screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 pm

It's not that bad. I have done 4 single-cb days and 2 doubles so far and really haven't noticed much difference in how I felt in terms of energy, or in results (I have been lucky enough to get multiple offers, and see no correlation with whether it was a single our double cb day). It also cuts down the number of lunches, which I personally find awkward, sometimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not that bad. I have done 4 single-cb days and 2 doubles so far and really haven't noticed much difference in how I felt in terms of energy, or in results (I have been lucky enough to get multiple offers, and see no correlation with whether it was a single our double cb day). It also cuts down the number of lunches, which I personally find awkward, sometimes.

I agree with this.
Multiple callback days have resulted in offers for me as well. And really, if talking about yourself for 8-9 hours a day and being fed an expensive lunch is "exhausting" you may well want to reconsider BigLaw because you'll be working substantially harder on a daily basis.

Return to “Legal Employment”