Post Offer - What can you ask?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon168

Re: Post Offer - What can you ask?

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What I really want to know is what type of jobs people typically exit the firm into. I assume it's okay to ask this after receiving an offer, but I don't suppose it's something I should bring up before that, right?

This is something you can and should ask during your CB.

Phrase it this way, "I know that not everyone stays at the firm forever, and one of the real positives of this firm is the great exit options that it provides for its attorneys at all levels. In your experience, of those people that have left the firm, where have they gone?"

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 am

I wouldn't even ask about exit options post-offer, to be honest.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:23 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What I really want to know is what type of jobs people typically exit the firm into. I assume it's okay to ask this after receiving an offer, but I don't suppose it's something I should bring up before that, right?

Phrase it this way, "I know that not everyone stays at the firm forever, and one of the real positives of this firm is the great exit options that it provides for its attorneys at all levels. In your experience, of those people that have left the firm, where have they gone?"

Not sure I agree with this. Asking something like this raises a red flag that could possibly get you no-offered later. I'd probably seek out someone not currently at the firm to ask this question.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:42 pm

anon168 wrote:

This is really bad advice.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:54 pm

anon168 wrote:

Second piece of blatantly wrong advice you've posted.

There are also at least a zillion better ways to ask the above question.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
anon168 wrote:

This is really bad advice.

People have asked me this kind of question all the time, and I've never taken it the wrong way. And no one at my previous firm has taken it the wrong way.

No firm expects their associates to stay with them forever, or even more than 4-5 years.

Heck, alot of firms want you to leave after 4-5 years. And not just because they are cutting the fat, but because they want you take in-house positions, go to the government, etc. to help generate business for the firm and create connections.

Do with it what you will.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:02 pm

anon168 wrote:People have asked me this kind of question all the time, and I've never taken it the wrong way. And no one at my previous firm has taken it the wrong way.

No firm expects their associates to stay with them forever, or even more than 4-5 years.

Heck, alot of firms want you to leave after 4-5 years. And not just because they are cutting the fat, but because they want you take in-house positions, go to the government, etc. to help generate business for the firm and create connections.

But it's in the firm's best interests that they have people staying for at least 5 years, and that they have as many people gunning for partner as possible. Yes, firms understand the reality that most people are going to have left, but they prefer associates who will gun for partner and leave only when asked to.

At a lot of firms, asking about exit options raises a red flag. Are you at a V10 in NYC? That's about the only type of firm I can imagine that probably would not care.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:05 pm

RVP11 wrote:
anon168 wrote:People have asked me this kind of question all the time, and I've never taken it the wrong way. And no one at my previous firm has taken it the wrong way.

But it's in the firm's best interests that they have people staying for at least 5 years, and that they have as many people gunning for partner as possible. Yes, firms understand the reality that most people are going to have left, but they prefer associates who will gun for partner and leave only when asked to.

At a lot of firms, asking about exit options raises a red flag. Are you at a V10 in NYC? That's about the only type of firm I can imagine that probably would not care.

Was at V5.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Asking about exit options before you've even worked at the firm for a day is self-sabotage. Use your common sense about this. You can find out exit options indirectly over the summer. I definitely wouldn't ask this if you are in a class of 5 people.

I would be careful with asking about why someone was no- offered. They are t going to discuss someone else's employment with you. I would limit myself to questions about whether they expect to make 100% offers this year. If you ask too much about no- offering it makes you sound a little socially awkward like you don't have confidence you will fit in or do the work well.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:16 pm

I am planning on using the post offer stage to:

1) meeting more attys from potential practice group
2) ask more about firm financials

Asking about exit options seems weird.

Return to “Legal Employment”