Right number of callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Right number of callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 pm

(posting anon so friends don't hate me)- what's the optimal number of callbacks to go on and feel secure about getting an offer? Assuming one does not like interviewing and free lunch doesn't make up for it haha

Lasers

Re: Right number of callbacks

Postby Lasers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(posting anon so friends don't hate me)- what's the optimal number of callbacks to go on and feel secure about getting an offer? Assuming one does not like interviewing and free lunch doesn't make up for it haha

999+ until offer in hand.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(posting anon so friends don't hate me)- what's the optimal number of callbacks to go on and feel secure about getting an offer? Assuming one does not like interviewing and free lunch doesn't make up for it haha

999+ until offer in hand.

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

∞ times ∞

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 pm

None - there is no such number.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

A TLSer has botched 13. So over 13.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I think you need 2 offers. Then you accept both, and use it as insurance in case one pulls their offer in January, or goes Dewey on you.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A TLSer has botched 13. So over 13.

definitely. go for the record.

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Holy fuck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Damn! Noted. Thanks for the legit answer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 pm

chimp wrote:

Holy fuck.

I think I'm on my way to the record. Alright got 2 post CB dings from diversity fair. Have 9 others scheduled or in the pipeline (3 from diversity, 6 from oci) . Seriously considering scheduling 3 more that I got from oci

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 pm

First, this is a dumb question.

Second, to answer the dumb question, we'd need to know whether you got the callbacks from screening interviews resulting from a lottery system, or screening interviews resulting from a preselect system. If you're getting a dozen callbacks from a preselect system even though your grades are nothing special, then you're probably a great interviewer and are going to be fine on your callbacks. If you're getting a dozen callbacks from a lottery system just because you have a 3.9 and all the other interviewees have 3.5s, you might struggle at the callback stage.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chimp wrote:

Holy fuck.

I think I'm on my way to the record. Alright got 2 post CB dings from diversity fair. Have 9 others scheduled or in the pipeline (3 from diversity, 6 from oci) . Seriously considering scheduling 3 more that I got from oci

WTF? Until you have an offer, you need to schedule every callback you get.

anon5225

Postby anon5225 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:37 pm

The right answer is: it depends. If you're getting 6 CBs before the week is over, you're likely a strong candidate and going to get at least a 50-100% offer rate, and you can be a bit more selective on which firms you might want. On the other hand, most big firms are basically the same, and the only way to get a feel for what makes each one different is to go on callbacks to find out what the people are like when on their best behavior.

Also, though, the only real way to know how strong a candidate you are is to get the multiple offers from all these different firms, which is something you'll likely only realize in retrospect. Scheduling everything you can get is tcr for both reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm not really sure why it's a dumb question, although maybe an obnoxious one. I just wondered if at some point it's overkill. Although classes don't seem to matter, I do want to attend some. I'm interviewing in a different city so it's not that easy to do both.

Anyway, greatly appreciate all the input!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not really sure why it's a dumb question, although maybe an obnoxious one. I just wondered if at some point it's overkill. Although classes don't seem to matter, I do want to attend some. I'm interviewing in a different city so it's not that easy to do both.

Anyway, greatly appreciate all the input!

it's a dumb question because you can cancel callbacks when you get an offer.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The right answer is: it depends. If you're getting 6 CBs before the week is over, you're likely a strong candidate and going to get at least a 50-100% offer rate, and you can be a bit more selective on which firms you might want. On the other hand, most big firms are basically the same, and the only way to get a feel for what makes each one different is to go on callbacks to find out what the people are like when on their best behavior.

Also, though, the only real way to know how strong a candidate you are is to get the multiple offers from all these different firms, which is something you'll likely only realize in retrospect. Scheduling everything you can get is tcr for both reasons.

This. Schedule every single CB you can get. You can cancel the ones you want less once you start getting offers. (so long as you're polite and give about 24 hours notice, there should be no problem.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 am

glitter178 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The right answer is: it depends. If you're getting 6 CBs before the week is over, you're likely a strong candidate and going to get at least a 50-100% offer rate, and you can be a bit more selective on which firms you might want. On the other hand, most big firms are basically the same, and the only way to get a feel for what makes each one different is to go on callbacks to find out what the people are like when on their best behavior.

This. Schedule every single CB you can get. You can cancel the ones you want less once you start getting offers. (so long as you're polite and give about 24 hours notice, there should be no problem.)

This cannot be said enough. What is the downside to scheduling as many callbacks as you can reasonably fit into your schedule? Unless you're ruling firms out on the basis of geographical location, I feel like there's no reason not to go. At a very minimum you're networking with people you may well encounter in a professional context later down the road and getting a free meal out of it. So long as we're not talking about cross-country travel, schedule them and give every single one of them full effort. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised by a "lower ranked" firm and end up changing your mind. I know people who have taken over 20 callbacks, went back to firms post offer, and ended up picking V50 firms over v5 ones because of the people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This cannot be said enough. What is the downside to scheduling as many callbacks as you can reasonably fit into your schedule? Unless you're ruling firms out on the basis of geographical location, I feel like there's no reason not to go. At a very minimum you're networking with people you may well encounter in a professional context later down the road and getting a free meal out of it. So long as we're not talking about cross-country travel, schedule them and give every single one of them full effort. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised by a "lower ranked" firm and end up changing your mind. I know people who have taken over 20 callbacks, went back to firms post offer, and ended up picking V50 firms over v5 ones because of the people.

Well I guess I meant to ask if there is a balance, or what "reasonably fits." The downside as I see it is that I have obligations at school (mandatory law review hours, a pet to check in on, and yes class because I do hope to clerk.) I just wasn't sure whether over 20 callbacks several hours away was necessary or even wise.. but between all the advice here and some data someone sent me about offer rates, I'm convinced to keep on plugging.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 am

tagging along on this thread
i already have an offer from a firm that i would gladly work at
should i still do cbs for firms that i know i won't work at? that are lower ranked, smaller, etc

chup

Postby chup » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:tagging along on this thread
i already have an offer from a firm that i would gladly work at
should i still do cbs for firms that i know i won't work at? that are lower ranked, smaller, etc

No.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 pm

I would keep going after offer-in-hand, simply because firms are biased in favor of candidates they offered in the past who turned them down. If you get Latham'd or Dewey'd or Winston'd, it's nice to have a short list of firms that are going to be interested to hear from you. I've even heard of firms calling candidates at the end of their SA to see if they were happy at their summer firms. Why not build bridges like that?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm

IAFG wrote:I would keep going after offer-in-hand, simply because firms are biased in favor of candidates they offered in the past who turned them down. If you get Latham'd or Dewey'd or Winston'd, it's nice to have a short list of firms that are going to be interested to hear from you. I've even heard of firms calling candidates at the end of their SA to see if they were happy at their summer firms. Why not build bridges like that?

Good point. I know at least 1 CLS student that got Dewey'd last year and a V50 took him back after he politely declined their offer back in September.

I just scheduled one CB per day for each day after OCI. It keeps you in interview mode and gets them all over with somewhat quickly. I've started to hear back from some of the ones that I've done at the beginning, but haven't heard from a lot of them. I'll be wrapping up in a few days. But I'll have done all of them and I can collapse and wait for the offers to come in (hopefully).
Last edited by shock259 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 pm

I have one callback after OCI. I hope that for me, that will be the right number.

Return to “Legal Employment”