Timing of offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timing of offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Is there a method to the madness? Can you read anything into when an offer to an individual is made?

For instance, a friend of mine received an offer from a V10 firm today after interviewing yesterday. I interviewed two days ago with all different people, and I haven't heard anything yet. Does that mean I'm a likely ding?

Would love to get insight into the timing of this all...

msridiculous447

Re: Timing of offers

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

I think it really depends on the firm's policy. Some places give out offers as people come in for callbacks...others have to wait until the hiring committee meets before they're willing to extend an offer. I don't think there's anything that can be gleaned from the timing of an offer without knowing the firm's internal mechanisms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it really depends on the firm's policy. Some places give out offers as people come in for callbacks...others have to wait until the hiring committee meets before they're willing to extend an offer. I don't think there's anything that can be gleaned from the timing of an offer without knowing the firm's internal mechanisms.

So I should not read anything into the above situation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Patience. I got an offer a week after most people were getting next day offers. Shit happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 pm

My friend and I interviewed at firm X. He/she interviewed before me (5 days before) and it took him/ her 5 days to get an offer. I got an offer the day after my interview. He/ she had higher grades than me. Not gonna question it, but the process is weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 pm

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks, all!

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My friend and I interviewed at firm X. He/she interviewed before me (5 days before) and it took him/ her 5 days to get an offer. I got an offer the day after my interview. He/ she had higher grades than me. Not gonna question it, but the process is weird.

Good move, revealing your friend's gender really would have outed you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 pm

KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My friend and I interviewed at firm X. He/she interviewed before me (5 days before) and it took him/ her 5 days to get an offer. I got an offer the day after my interview. He/ she had higher grades than me. Not gonna question it, but the process is weird.

Can you not be a dick? People take a lot of (probably) unnecessary precautions on TLS. My friend reads TLS but doesn't post on it, so I'm not taking chances. The other option is not posting at all, when some info can be relevant to a question/ concern.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Can you not be a dick? People take a lot of (probably) unnecessary precautions on TLS. My friend reads TLS but doesn't post on it, so I'm not taking chances. The other option is not posting at all, when some info can be relevant to a question/ concern.

Actually that's a false dichotomy, and based on my perusal of this forum over the last 10 minutes you use anon way the fuck too much.

Return to “Legal Employment”