Cahill v. Proskauer v. Akin v. Weil (All NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Cahill
25%
Proskauer
15%
Akin
7%
Weil
54%

Total votes: 61

capnhook

Postby capnhook » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Hey all, I know this is a tough time. Just trying to get a general idea of how people rate these firms (based on enjoyability and career development standpoint- not only prestige) Undecided litigation/corporate, down for working ass off, would like the coolest people alongside me. Not being presumptuous, just want to have some type of consensus about firms I'm most interested in while going through this process

RVP11

Re: Cahill v. Proskauer v. Akin v. Weil (All NY)

Postby RVP11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 pm

You're going to NY. You're going to work a lot and the partners are going to be difficult. So why not go to the most prestigious firm?

Weil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Had offers from Proskauer and Cahill last year. Never interviewed with the Weil or Akin though. I went with Cahill because I had the best vibe there (that's all I really cared about) but I think this really comes down to what practice area you want (employment at proskauer, bankruptcy at weil, etc.). They're all great firms, see where you fit best. Good luck

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Cahill had the best vibe? *skeptical*

also, OP, do you have these offers already or is this theoretical?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

There was a post on another law forum that Cahill isn't actually doing as hot financially as it is making itself out to be. But it was autoadmit, so you have to take that with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

If you want more prestige or to do big debtor BK, go to Weil. If you want to get compensated better/according to your billable hours, go to Cahill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm

If Cahill isn't doing so well financially, why were they one of the few firms that gave out summer bonuses? They could have easily followed the lead of most other firms and handed out nothing.

Cahill is a great place - the people are really down to earth and they do great work. The free market system is helpful if you don't know exactly what you want to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had offers from Proskauer and Cahill last year. Never interviewed with the Weil or Akin though. I went with Cahill because I had the best vibe there (that's all I really cared about) but I think this really comes down to what practice area you want (employment at proskauer, bankruptcy at weil, etc.). They're all great firms, see where you fit best. Good luck

hey, can you tell me more about why you chose cahill over proskauer, and what you thought of cahill for early career development, training etc? you can pm me or whatever, largely unfamiliar with this lingo

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:37 pm

RVP11 wrote:You're going to NY. You're going to work a lot and the partners are going to be difficult. So why not go to the most prestigious firm?

Weil.

Is this the best approach? Should you always be thinking of exit options? What if you have a choice between a firm with a great reputation but a much-maligned culture, and a more "lifestyle" firm with less of a rep that still pays market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Of those 4, I interviewed with Cahill, Proskauer, and Akin last summer. Had a screener with Weil, but it didn't turn into a CB, so I can't really offer much on that firm. Sure, its the highest Vault-rank, but "prestige" shouldn't be the end-all, and is but one of many factors in the calculus. Of the other 3, I didn't like Cahill very much at all (nor did they like me, as evidenced by my next day rejection). Proskauer was fine, but I most liked Akin. The people were great, and I heard nothing but good things from past summers.

Again, if you are totally undecided and indifferent, then perhaps prestige can play a bigger role in your choice. But if you are that indifferent and undecided, it suggests to me that you need to do more research on these firms and dig a bit deeper. Speak to as many people as you can and ask the hard questions. If you have offers, you have all the leverage. It is your future, and are justified in asking the difficult Q's.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:You're going to NY. You're going to work a lot and the partners are going to be difficult. So why not go to the most prestigious firm?

Weil.

Is this the best approach? Should you always be thinking of exit options? What if you have a choice between a firm with a great reputation but a much-maligned culture, and a more "lifestyle" firm with less of a rep that still pays market?

You're going to NEW YORK. Yes, of course you should be thinking of exit options. You're not going to make partner and you're likely going to be there for only 2-3 years. The analysis might be different if you were considering working in, say, Kansas City.

There are very few lifestyle firms in New York, and none of the firms you've named are even close to qualifying. You are going to work an obscene number of hours at any of these firms. Go to the most prestigious firm where you can stand the people. So, Weil.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm

If you want corporate, I don't know how the answer is not Weil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 pm

OP: I don't necessarily want corporate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had offers from Proskauer and Cahill last year. Never interviewed with the Weil or Akin though. I went with Cahill because I had the best vibe there (that's all I really cared about) but I think this really comes down to what practice area you want (employment at proskauer, bankruptcy at weil, etc.). They're all great firms, see where you fit best. Good luck

hey, can you tell me more about why you chose cahill over proskauer, and what you thought of cahill for early career development, training etc? you can pm me or whatever, largely unfamiliar with this lingo

I'm the anon above and since you're anon too I'm just going to respond here. I thought people at proskauer were kinda douchey (not saying this is the truth--just my personal perception) and I found people at cahill very real and no-bullshit which is something I really value (compared to the other offers I had). I stand by the vibe at Cahill as a great vibe, but of course there's no one-size-fits-all-firm so you'll have to see if it's right for you. It certainly helps to not be petrified of asking for work (it's a free market system).

As for practice areas, if you are interested in the high-yield bond market for corporate, Cahill is the place to be. If you're interested in general corporate work, perhaps weil or another firm is a better fit. Early development/training at Cahill can be unparalleled since you shape your own career with the free market system. You can technically do both lit and corporate at Cahill for as long as you want until you decide (although that's not a great idea), you definitely won't be pigeonholed in a practice area. For lit, a lot of it is securities litigation and there's first amendment work also. It's a Wall Street firm at the end of the day.

Sorry for the long-winded response, hope it helps you (and anyone else making these tough decisions).

I know I'll get shit for saying the following, but my best advice is to go with your gut and don't follow the TLS V10 or-bust hivemind. These are all excellent market paying firms so you might as well go where you like the work and people. I also highly recommend doing offer visits. I did that at a few places and it really helped me out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP: I don't necessarily want corporate.

Answer is still Weil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Go to Proskauer. You have a chance of ruling the NBA one day.

capnhook

Postby capnhook » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks all. Super helpful

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 am

Rankings/Exit Options/Best Work/etc Weil >>>>>>>>by far all others on this list.

Culture Weil>>>>> any other on this list

Why even make this poll? Just to let people know you have these 4 options? Choice should be clear outside of some other odd factor we don't know about.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rankings/Exit Options/Best Work/etc Weil >>>>>>>>by far all others on this list.

Culture Weil>>>>> any other on this list

Why even make this poll? Just to let people know you have these 4 options? Choice should be clear outside of some other odd factor we don't know about.

Yeah.. Like the fact that Cahill pays a shit ton more??? That's a really odd fucking factor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm

How about making partner? How does that weigh in here? I know people don't care about this anymore, but there are those of us out there who dont want to peace the fuck out after five years.

Return to “Legal Employment”