Introduced to BigLaw Founding Partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Introduced to BigLaw Founding Partner

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 pm

I'll be meeting one of the founding partners of a V100 firm at a networking event tonight. My school is lower ranked but I have been perusing through their website and it seems like they have no issue hiring from TT schools. I'll be introduced by a close family friend and he already told the partner about me so I am starting to get a little (to say the least) nervous-considering he is a founding partner at one of the biggest firms in the country and I will not get another opportunity at BigLaw with my school's ranking. Anyone have a similar experience and care to share how they approached it? Don't get me wrong, I am a very personable guy once you get to know me, but oftentimes I feel awkward meeting new people-especially those that I place on a pedestal. Any suggestions would be appreciated...even trolls are welcomed because I could use some good laughs before tonight!

Thank you in advance!

Byakuya769

New

Re: Introduced to BigLaw Founding Partner

Post by Byakuya769 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Your problem is that you're putting the partner on a pedestal.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm

snyphil2

New

Post by snyphil2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

lol at other responses.

interesting situation. is this the type of event where it's EXPECTED people get interviews out of it? kind of a tough sell to try to lock up an interview at a guy's firm at a random networking event, but I guess it's possible, and it doesn't hurt to try; so I say eventually ask for it in name (like asking for a girl's phone number: if you get it, sweet; if you don't, no different from not asking). one thing to remember is that if this guy is like the founding biglaw partners I know (hehe: I've met one a few times), he isn't going to remember you or know your name, and he isn't in charge of hiring or interviewing you. BUT, he can pass your name along to the recruiting people and they can give you a CB and see what happens. if it's a small, social-type event I guess I could see you hanging with him and just talking about whatever to try to get him to like you, but if it's a normal networking event his ear will probably be talked off and you'll have only a couple minutes; if that's the case, I'd probably try to find exactly what he's been doing the last couple weeks and make a witty comment about it (e.g. if it's John Quinn, mention your thoughts on the Samsung trial he just went through). This sounds kind of ridiculous but it's really all I can think of as help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snyphil2

New

Post by snyphil2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Use this as motivation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 pm

snyphil2 wrote:lol at other responses.

interesting situation. is this the type of event where it's EXPECTED people get interviews out of it? kind of a tough sell to try to lock up an interview at a guy's firm at a random networking event, but I guess it's possible, and it doesn't hurt to try; so I say eventually ask for it in name (like asking for a girl's phone number: if you get it, sweet; if you don't, no different from not asking). one thing to remember is that if this guy is like the founding biglaw partners I know (hehe: I've met one a few times), he isn't going to remember you or know your name, and he isn't in charge of hiring or interviewing you. BUT, he can pass your name along to the recruiting people and they can give you a CB and see what happens. if it's a small, social-type event I guess I could see you hanging with him and just talking about whatever to try to get him to like you, but if it's a normal networking event his ear will probably be talked off and you'll have only a couple minutes; if that's the case, I'd probably try to find exactly what he's been doing the last couple weeks and make a witty comment about it (e.g. if it's John Quinn, mention your thoughts on the Samsung trial he just went through). This sounds kind of ridiculous but it's really all I can think of as help.
OP here. It is actually more of a general event than a networking event because most of the people are either business owners and attorneys, with a few exceptions...so it is not the type of event where it is expected people will get interviews out of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Had a similar situation. Take a shot (or 10) beforehand to loosen up.

EntertainMeLaw

New

Post by EntertainMeLaw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be meeting one of the founding partners of a V100 firm at a networking event tonight. My school is lower ranked but I have been perusing through their website and it seems like they have no issue hiring from TT schools. I'll be introduced by a close family friend and he already told the partner about me so I am starting to get a little (to say the least) nervous-considering he is a founding partner at one of the biggest firms in the country and I will not get another opportunity at BigLaw with my school's ranking. Anyone have a similar experience and care to share how they approached it? Don't get me wrong, I am a very personable guy once you get to know me, but oftentimes I feel awkward meeting new people-especially those that I place on a pedestal. Any suggestions would be appreciated...even trolls are welcomed because I could use some good laughs before tonight!

Thank you in advance!

Just make sure that in your brief conversation you mention that you are looking for work next summer (or when you graduate) and considering working for a firm. If he wants to throw you a bone, he will.

No need to go out and ask "hey can I have an interview" because it won't help you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”