Boston Law Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Boston Law Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Random - but anyone know of Skadden Boston offers? Had a CB going on two weeks now...and nothing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Choate or foley hoag? Conflicted. Please help! Looking for good work/life balance, no difficulty meeting hour requirements, stability, and all the usual stuff people consider. Very open in terms of practice area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random - but anyone know of Skadden Boston offers? Had a CB going on two weeks now...and nothing?
Offer last week. CB about two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone else with wilmer cbs have info on cb --> offer/rejection turnaround time?
No idea, but I informed them about an upcoming offer deadline a while ago, that deadline has since passed, and have heard no news either way. Same deal with Ropes. Just grateful I have had more success in another market...
Wow this is ridiculous. Has anyone gotten rejected from either Ropes or Wilmer? Trying to figure out if I'm on some kind of waitlist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

What do you guys think about Choate? Is it worth going if I want to practice in Boston compared to other law firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone else with wilmer cbs have info on cb --> offer/rejection turnaround time?
No idea, but I informed them about an upcoming offer deadline a while ago, that deadline has since passed, and have heard no news either way. Same deal with Ropes. Just grateful I have had more success in another market...
Wow this is ridiculous. Has anyone gotten rejected from either Ropes or Wilmer? Trying to figure out if I'm on some kind of waitlist.
I got rejected from Wilmer a little over a week ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got rejected from Wilmer a little over a week ago.
When was your CB? I've been sitting here in radio silence for over two weeks. Was it by snail mail or email? Also, anyone heard from Bingham?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Nixon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think about Choate? Is it worth going if I want to practice in Boston compared to other law firms?
I had a callback at Choate but got dinged recently. If I had gotten an offer, I would have very strongly considered going there over the V30 firms in New York that I instead will likely end up at due to cost of living differences and my desire to be in Boston long-term. Choate is a smaller firm and doesn't have much of a national reputation, but is very well-known locally and is very competitive in its practice areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think about Choate? Is it worth going if I want to practice in Boston compared to other law firms?
I had a callback at Choate but got dinged recently. If I had gotten an offer, I would have very strongly considered going there over the V30 firms in New York that I instead will likely end up at due to cost of living differences and my desire to be in Boston long-term. Choate is a smaller firm and doesn't have much of a national reputation, but is very well-known locally and is very competitive in its practice areas.
Also had a callback at Choate and got dinged. Really loved the place, and all the people I met with seemed great. Not sure what they're looking for (I've got multiple V10 offers in other markets), but if you're lucky enough to get an offer, consider it pretty seriously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When was your CB? I've been sitting here in radio silence for over two weeks. Was it by snail mail or email?
Came by snail mail within 2 weeks of my callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
When was your CB? I've been sitting here in radio silence for over two weeks. Was it by snail mail or email? Also, anyone heard from Bingham?
Same boat here for Wilmer. I did get an offer from Bingham about 2 weeks after CB.

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 am

If you have offers from either Ropes, Goodwin, Wilmer, Bingham, or Goulston, then I would go there over Choate. Their practice is very niche and the exit options aren't amazing. In addition, they don't handle layoffs etc. very well in a bad economy, from what I've heard. I think you could take them over Edwards Wildman or foley hoag though and be confident it was a good decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:05 am

Isnt goulston even smaller and more niche?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm

anyone hear from K&L Gates? my callback was a week and a half ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

What are your thoughts on foley hoag?

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isnt goulston even smaller and more niche?
No, about the same, maybe even a little more variety with a little less prestige. But at Goulston, you actually have a shot at partner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

E-mail rejection from Ropes 3 1/2 weeks after the callback. Nice to finally have an answer. I just wish they could have done it a lot sooner.

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are your thoughts on Foley Hoag?
Depends on the area of law your interested in. Really hit or miss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

ryanmot wrote:
Outside of VC, what are some of their "hit" practice areas?

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ryanmot wrote:
Outside of VC, what are some of their "hit" practice areas?
Environmental (both reg and lit); IP; and L&E.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:26 am

Is this comment related to specific practice area? e.g., IP or Corporate? or just in general?
ryanmot wrote:
If you have offers from either Ropes, Goodwin, Wilmer, Bingham, or Goulston, then I would go there over Choate. Their practice is very niche and the exit options aren't amazing. In addition, they don't handle layoffs etc. very well in a bad economy, from what I've heard. I think you could take them over Edwards Wildman or Foley Hoag though and be confident it was a good decision.

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is this comment related to specific practice area? e.g., IP or Corporate? or just in general?
ryanmot wrote:
If you have offers from either Ropes, Goodwin, Wilmer, Bingham, or Goulston, then I would go there over Choate. Their practice is very niche and the exit options aren't amazing. In addition, they don't handle layoffs etc. very well in a bad economy, from what I've heard. I think you could take them over Edwards Wildman or Foley Hoag though and be confident it was a good decision.
Just in general, if you have no clue what you want to do. If you have a specific interest, then everything changes based on what that is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 am

How about IP? Also, how is Proskauer in Boston?
ryanmot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is this comment related to specific practice area? e.g., IP or Corporate? or just in general?
ryanmot wrote:
Just in general, if you have no clue what you want to do. If you have a specific interest, then everything changes based on what that is.

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:How about IP? Also, how is Proskauer in Boston?
If you want IP, I would go Fish & Richardson, Proskauer, foley hoag, WilmerHale or Goodwin (not in any particular order other than Fish & Richardson being first).

Proskauer is very good in Boston. Not extremely diverse in practice areas, but what you'll be doing there is basically chambers tier 1 or tier 2 in any group you're in. They have over one hundred in Boston and it's the firm's second largest office. I know people who work there and I can say that the culture is great.
Last edited by ryanmot on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”