Cleary vs. S&C

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

S&C or Cleary Gottlieb

Sullivan & Cromwell
44%
Cleary Gottlieb
56%

Total votes: 25

Anonymous User

Cleary vs. S&C

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Cleary or S&C for litigation. Particular interests in White Collar and General Corporate Lit, some interest in Bankruptcy (lit or as a practice area). Quality of life is somewhat important, but not really crucial.

EDIT: NYC, sorry! I would pick Cleary in DC without blinking.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary vs. S&C

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm

If you comment, please distinguish between what you would say for the same choices, but in D.C. rather than NYC. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you comment, please distinguish between what you would say for the same choices, but in D.C. rather than NYC. Thanks!

Are you looking in DC or NYC? Those are very, very different. Cleary is better in DC and S&C is better in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you comment, please distinguish between what you would say for the same choices, but in D.C. rather than NYC. Thanks!

Are you looking in DC or NYC? Those are very, very different. Cleary is better in DC and S&C is better in NYC.

DC--- I posted the D.C. comment, but I'm not the OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 pm

So basically the answer is whichever firm I like the people better at. Welp, that's what I thought.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't have any knowledge of Cleary.

But for white collar work, particularly large internal investigations, you can't go wrong with S&C. The Criminal Defense and Investigations Group (CDIG) at S&C is packed with former AUSAs from the EDNY/SDNY. The firm works on many substantial government investigations and associates often lateral out to government positions with the possibility of returning later in their careers.

Also, the people in the CDIG group are great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am

OP here: Going with Cleary. Liked the people better.

Return to “Legal Employment”