winston and strawn do-not-staff list Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
somewhatwayward

Silver

winston and strawn do-not-staff list

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

can anyone confirm this story that winston keeps a do-not-staff list to choke the hours of associates it wants to lay off? do all firms do this?

traehekat

Gold

Re: winston and strawn do-not-staff list

Post by traehekat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

where did this story even come from?

edit: nvm, see it in the Chicago OCI thread. i have no knowledge either way.
Last edited by traehekat on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 pm

LOL

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 pm

At any big law firm, they stop giving you work if they've decided it is getting time for you to leave. That is the first clue- when you stop getting any work and everyone else is busy. It wouldn't surprise me if the assigning partners had a list. I would be surprised that a senior associate had access to that information. If they did have access and didn't warn the people on the list, then that I'd think that is pretty shitty.

Also, of partners don't like your work they can ask that you not be staffed on their projects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Not exactly the same, but I accidentally received a list of attorneys who are getting laid off and when. I was in contact with the recruiter about setting up an interview and we talked back and forth, then out of no where I got this email. Obviously it wasn't meant for me. I don't want to out them though, because I haven't done the interview yet and still want it to go well and I imagine he realized his mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly the same, but I accidentally received a list of attorneys who are getting laid off and when. I was in contact with the recruiter about setting up an interview and we talked back and forth, then out of no where I got this email. Obviously it wasn't meant for me. I don't want to out them though, because I haven't done the interview yet and still want it to go well and I imagine he realized his mistake.
Wow (if true)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not exactly the same, but I accidentally received a list of attorneys who are getting laid off and when. I was in contact with the recruiter about setting up an interview and we talked back and forth, then out of no where I got this email. Obviously it wasn't meant for me. I don't want to out them though, because I haven't done the interview yet and still want it to go well and I imagine he realized his mistake.
Calling Flame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.
Not a flame. I'll out them after the interview if I don't get a call-back. So maybe two weeks from now. Doubt anyone here will care because it's non-Chicago midwestern "big law." A hint: they have offices in three contiguous states and merged with another similar-sized midwestern firm within the last two years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 am

I had heard hair raising tales about Winston long before this. I wonder if the people I heard from were unique, or if it's really always been a terrible place to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.
Sounds like HB but that merger was 4 yrs ago

Not a flame. I'll out them after the interview if I don't get a call-back. So maybe two weeks from now. Doubt anyone here will care because it's non-Chicago midwestern "big law." A hint: they have offices in three contiguous states and merged with another similar-sized midwestern firm within the last two years.

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.
Ice Miller?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 am

Dex wrote:
[firm]
If he doesn't want to say, why would he respond to this? And why are you making it google-able?!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.
And this is why you always check your attachments before you click the send button.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 am

yea i'm sure "FIRE_THESE_IDIOTS.PDF" was in the same folder as "CB Interviewer List.xls"

very believable

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 am

fatduck wrote:yea i'm sure "FIRE_THESE_IDIOTS.PDF" was in the same folder as "CB Interviewer List.xls"

very believable
How about, sending this list to the managing partner, Chris Johnson. Oops, sent to candidate Chris Jensen. (Assume shitboomer email user.)

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

Curiosity bump.
Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Agent wrote:Curiosity bump.
Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Calling Flame.
I'll give the initials. BGD. Please don't write the firm's name out in full.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”