Strategy for Firm with Multiple Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Strategy for Firm with Multiple Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:52 pm

At my school's OCI I had a great screening interview with an attorney from a firm's New York City office, but this firm's headquarters is in my home market.

For this firm's bidding instructions, it said to let the interviewer know if I'm interested in other offices as well. When I did this during the interview, the interviewer seemed surprised that I was telling him this and I explained to him the online bidding instructions. I told my interviewer that the NYC office was my first choice though.

I got a callback interview to the NYC office and pretty much bombed it. I Haven't gotten a rejection yet though.

Is it kosher to remind my screening interviewer about my interest in the office in my home market? Is there a way to phrase it that doesn't make it seem like I screwed up my call back? Is there any reason that I should wait to do this until I get rejected by the NYC office?

Anonymous User

Re: Strategy for Firm with Multiple Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my school's OCI I had a great screening interview with an attorney from a firm's New York City office, but this firm's headquarters is in my home market.

For this firm's bidding instructions, it said to let the interviewer know if I'm interested in other offices as well. When I did this during the interview, the interviewer seemed surprised that I was telling him this and I explained to him the online bidding instructions. I told my interviewer that the NYC office was my first choice though.

I got a callback interview to the NYC office and pretty much bombed it. I Haven't gotten a rejection yet though.

Is it kosher to remind my screening interviewer about my interest in the office in my home market? Is there a way to phrase it that doesn't make it seem like I screwed up my call back? Is there any reason that I should wait to do this until I get rejected by the NYC office?

First, you do not know with certainty that you are out. Second, if you are out, they probably mean out of the firm... I doubt they will reason that he is not good enough for us, but we can send him to our other office.
Keep up the hope and improve your skills for the next callback. Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”