State Court Clerkships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: State Court Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about the Supreme Court of Indiana?
Bumping for this. Anybody know if the IN SCT has started making calls/rejections?

frank galvin

New

Post by frank galvin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 pm

holidays suck when your waiting on an offer, FYI

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:48 pm

frank galvin wrote:holidays suck when your waiting on an offer, FYI
sucks - but lawschool certainly teaches you patience. What court/state?

This whole state process is molasses slow.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Telephone interview with WA state COA judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Anyone have any more recent contact with Delaware Supreme Court?
Heard that Justice Steele is done hiring, but no news from anywhere else

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Offers from CT Appellate Court today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Texas SC?! Are they waiting for the election or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offers from CT Appellate Court today.
Lavine?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Anyone know what is the timeline, and comparative competitiveness (comparative to state appellate courts overall), of the CA state superior court clerkships around the bay Area?

My guess is that their location makes them very competitive, and that even though they are not "prestigious," there would be no shortage of applicants for whom appellate clerkships and district court clerkship were a no-go.

If you know from experience or from reliable word of mouth, I'd love your input.

thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offers from CT Appellate Court today.
Any other movement from CT Appellate Court?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi all, Gonna throw down another random off-the-mainland clerkship question.

has anyone met anybody, or learned anything of substance about a clerkship with the High Court of American Samoa? Or, for that matter, the competitiveness for interviews? They only take two clerks, but since my parents live only six hours away (Melbourne, Australia), I thought I'd look into it.

tx

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:57 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Anyone know what is the timeline, and comparative competitiveness (comparative to state appellate courts overall), of the CA state superior court clerkships around the bay Area?

My guess is that their location makes them very competitive, and that even though they are not "prestigious," there would be no shortage of applicants for whom appellate clerkships and district court clerkship were a no-go.

If you know from experience or from reliable word of mouth, I'd love your input.

thanks
+1. I applied for a superior court clerkship in the Los Angeles area almost a month ago, and my app status hasn't changed from "application received." Also, I'm concerned that the $30 million in budget cuts will have an effect on the number of offers the court extends. Anyone care to share their experience?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Hi all, Gonna throw down another random off-the-mainland clerkship question.

has anyone met anybody, or learned anything of substance about a clerkship with the High Court of American Samoa? Or, for that matter, the competitiveness for interviews? They only take two clerks, but since my parents live only six hours away (Melbourne, Australia), I thought I'd look into it.

tx

I learned you cannot clerk for them in 2013 if you have not graduated by February 2013, which I found inordinately stupid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any more recent contact with Delaware Supreme Court?
Heard that Justice Steele is done hiring, but no news from anywhere else
Jacobs is done hiring (I got my rejection letter the other day)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Hi all, Gonna throw down another random off-the-mainland clerkship question.

tx

I learned you cannot clerk for them in 2013 if you have not graduated by February 2013, which I found inordinately stupid.

Actually, that's not so, because through my Career Services webpage there is a posting about clerkships there, in advance of what would be early March interviews on the "mainland" US. If that ever was the case, it appears not to be an issue now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 pm

friend got an interview with the VT superior court. Not till early November though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:52 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
kalvano wrote:

tx

Actually, that's not so, because through my Career Services webpage there is a posting about clerkships there, in advance of what would be early March interviews on the "mainland" US. If that ever was the case, it appears not to be an issue now.

Tell that to the guy in charge of the clerkship, then. I emailed him, and you must have graduated by the time the posting closes. I have the same posting, and it says that in the fine print.

From not more than a couple weeks ago:

Mr. Kalvano,

Thank you for your interest in clerking with the High Court of American Samoa. Unfortunately, you are correct regarding your ineligibility. The application deadline for both clerkship terms (i.e., 2013-14 and 2014-15) is February 1, 2013. Successful applicants are required to have graduated from law school by the deadline. Moreover, the high court will be choosing successful applicants and sending out offers for the clerkship positions for both terms by March-April 2013.

I wish you the best of luck. If you are still interested in clerking for the High Court at the next hiring cycle, please do not hesitate to apply.

Sincerely,

Jon Clemens
Staff Attorney
High Court of American Samoa

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:49 pm

TheBeard wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Anyone know what is the timeline, and comparative competitiveness (comparative to state appellate courts overall), of the CA state superior court clerkships around the bay Area?

thanks
+1. I applied for a superior court clerkship in the Los Angeles area almost a month ago, and my app status hasn't changed from "application received." Also, I'm concerned that the $30 million in budget cuts will have an effect on the number of offers the court extends. Anyone care to share their experience?
They are insanely competitive and both LA and SF know they can easily get countless volunteer LRAs.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TheBeard wrote:

thanks
They are insanely competitive and both LA and SF know they can easily get countless volunteer LRAs.
Any idea how long it takes to see any movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Ding from Northern NJ superior court day, judge received over 100 apps and is done hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Dickson and David of IN Sup. Ct. have changed to no longer accepting applications on the clerkship website.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dickson and David of IN Sup. Ct. have changed to no longer accepting applications on the clerkship website.
Anyone know if they have made calls/dings? I'm not sure the website change really means anything, since their deadlines passed a while back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 pm

David didn't have a deadline. Dickson did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:David didn't have a deadline. Dickson did.
Word is that David is waiting a few weeks to hire, possibly post-election season. Dunno about Dickson.

Hopefully this website change indicates some movement is coming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for info on David. I didn't hear anything from him at all. Dickson sent a confirmation of receipt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”