Firm CB receptions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm CB receptions?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Do I have to go to these? A couple firms that I have interviewed with have receptions for people who have received callbacks. I only have so much schmooze in me and as excited as I am about these firms, I only have so much free time and would like to spend it away from the whole job game for a bit. Will they count it against me if I don't go?

5ky

Re: Firm CB receptions?

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

You should go.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I have to go to these? A couple firms that I have interviewed with have receptions for people who have received callbacks. I only have so much schmooze in me and as excited as I am about these firms, I only have so much free time and would like to spend it away from the whole job game for a bit. Will they count it against me if I don't go?

Went to two when I did OCI -- Quinn and DPW in NY. It probably won't count against you if you don't go, but the recruiting people take note of who attends. They work hard to put events together and showing up is an easy way to score some interest points. Recruiters do have relationships with the hiring committee and being on their good side is always a positive.

Both were definitely schmooze-fests though. I hate competing for face time with attorneys and while I'm by no means socially awkward, I found the forced socialization before a CB quite uncomfortable. Just have to hope you get lucky and get one or two people to converse with for the whole time. Usually sports/music are good ways to tie someone up. Still, I never spoke with a person I had as an interviewer later on. So did it really help? Nope.

I think the only thing they're good for based on your position is getting a bit more familiar with the firm before your callback. Being in the office is a good way to get a feel for things, even if it's just seeing how people interact in a social environment. In my opinion, finding the right firm is so difficult given the little exposure we really have to them...all additional recon helps. If you're undecided on practice groups, you're differentiating firms mostly based on feel. Do do your best to make sure your perception is as accurate as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

DrGuano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do I have to go to these? A couple firms that I have interviewed with have receptions for people who have received callbacks. I only have so much schmooze in me and as excited as I am about these firms, I only have so much free time and would like to spend it away from the whole job game for a bit. Will they count it against me if I don't go?

Went to two when I did OCI -- Quinn and DPW in NY. It probably won't count against you if you don't go, but the recruiting people take note of who attends. They work hard to put events together and showing up is an easy way to score some interest points. Recruiters do have relationships with the hiring committee and being on their good side is always a positive.

Both were definitely schmooze-fests though. I hate competing for face time with attorneys and while I'm by no means socially awkward, I found the forced socialization before a CB quite uncomfortable. Just have to hope you get lucky and get one or two people to converse with for the whole time. Usually sports/music are good ways to tie someone up. Still, I never spoke with a person I had as an interviewer later on. So did it really help? Nope.

I think the only thing they're good for based on your position is getting a bit more familiar with the firm before your callback. Being in the office is a good way to get a feel for things, even if it's just seeing how people interact in a social environment. In my opinion, finding the right firm is so difficult given the little exposure we really have to them...all additional recon helps.

Thanks for the advice (I'm the OP). Seems like your advice is geared towards going pre-CB. If I've already had the CB, does that make it less important?

Return to “Legal Employment”