Late-Game Clerkship Hustle - Viable?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Late-Game Clerkship Hustle - Viable?

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

If I haven't done any prep work for chasing clerkships other than registering for OSCAR, is it still possible to have a shot at a clerkship? Say I only wanted to apply to my tertiary market district courts, half a dozen or so, and alternatively maybe some state appellate courts. Do I still have time to do this if I haven't asked anyone for letters of rec? Is a law prof going to laugh in my face if I ask for a rec now?

DouglasDevelopment

Re: Late-Game Clerkship Hustle - Viable?

Postby DouglasDevelopment » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Given your circumstances I highly doubt professors will laugh in your face. I bet that if it is at all possible they will want to help you. Do you have a writing sample ready? If you get the recs in place it's definitely possible for you to apply to some on-plan dct judges. Don't know anything about state judges. Good luck.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 am

Which states? You might be out of luck there.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:05 am

kalvano wrote:Which states? You might be out of luck there.

Really only planning to apply to one D. Ct. judge who is on-plan, accepts apps through OSCAR, and is in a jurisdiction that many find less-than-attractive.

Another question: Anyone have thoughts on applying for a clerkship without faculty recs? Only do recs from people with whom I've worked? I never did the whole "build-a-relationship-with-faculty" thing other than one or two professors whom I happened to like but didn't kill it in their classes.

Return to “Legal Employment”