transferring offices after SA or a few years of assoc. work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

transferring offices after SA or a few years of assoc. work?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 pm

so... i badly want to be in DC (all of my family including significant other is there)... but have yet to have more than a few nibbles in DC. How much flexibility do firms typically have with associates wanting to transfer offices?

rad lulz

Re: transferring offices after SA or a few years of assoc. work?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Depends on the firm, and depends on what you do at the firm.

Even if you work in a firm that has a DC office, but you've been mostly doing, say, hedge fund work, which there isn't a ton of in DC, it's gonna be harder to transfer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:Depends on the firm, and depends on what you do at the firm.

Even if you work in a firm that has a DC office, but you've been mostly doing, say, hedge fund work, which there isn't a ton of in DC, it's gonna be harder to transfer.

This. If I wanted to move to DC, I'd 1) gun clerkships, HARD, 2) try for general lit to maximize lateral options 3) if I didn't get a clerkship or didn't get DC after clerking, put in 2 years and then try to move offices, but also be exploring options outside my firm.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Agree that it depends on the firm. At our firm, we only take one or two transfers form the NY office a year, if that.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:41 am

i would ask to split your summer w/ your firm's dc office after they give you a summer associate offer but before you accept. you have a decent amount of leverage at that point. they know if they don't agree to a split, a competitor might and you will be gone.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

englawyer wrote:i would ask to split your summer w/ your firm's dc office after they give you a summer associate offer but before you accept. you have a decent amount of leverage at that point. they know if they don't agree to a split, a competitor might and you will be gone.

Agree on the timing, but lol at summer associates having "leverage" or firms caring all that much if a summer decides to go elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 am

Are ties still a relevant factor when lateraling between offices? Just accepted an offer to a satellite office in a city I'd rather not be in long-term.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are ties still a relevant factor when lateraling between offices? Just accepted an offer to a satellite office in a city I'd rather not be in long-term.

I don't think ties are that relevant. From talking to some biglaw partners they seem to need you to fill a niche and you practice area needs to be relevant to the other office's needs. It especially helps if the firm is trying to expand/build up the office in the city you want to switch to. [ie...Mike does good work on lit, we want to develop a strong lit practice in LA, let's send him there...].

Return to “Legal Employment”