elite patent litigation group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

elite patent litigation group

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

What are some of the most selective pat lit groups around?

rayiner

Platinum

Re: elite patent litigation group

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the most selective pat lit groups around?
Keker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

rayiner wrote:
Keker.
I'm assuming you mean Durie? Keker lost almost all its star pat lit partners some years back when they went off to form their own firm.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Keker.
I'm assuming you mean Durie? Keker lost almost all its star pat lit partners some years back when they went off to form their own firm.
Note the OP's question was about which patent groups are the most selective, not which are the best. KVN is selective as hell and still has a substantial patent group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 am

rayiner wrote: Note the OP's question was about which patent groups are the most selective, not which are the best. KVN is selective as hell and still has a substantial patent group.
KVN loves clerks. I don't know that they are very grade snobby.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 am

just start your own firm, do OCI at every T14 school, and never hire anyone. then you will be TRULY ELITE.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote: Note the OP's question was about which patent groups are the most selective, not which are the best. KVN is selective as hell and still has a substantial patent group.
But judges are grade snobby.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 am

fatduck wrote:just start your own firm, do OCI at every T14 school, and never hire anyone. then you will be TRULY ELITE.
Make sure you have a hospitality suite and bring a couple of associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

Fenwick & West is also very elite. Great clients, great culture, great pay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fenwick & West is also very elite. Great clients, great culture, great pay.
I wouldn't call their patent lit group "elite." Their emerging tech/startup corporate work is certainly elite, but their patent lit group handles earlier stage companies in smaller lawsuits. When those companies get big, they go elsewhere for their patent lit. Litigation at Fenwick tends to play second fiddle to the corporate work.

I will agree with you on great culture and great (straight up market) pay. Great clients depends on your perspective and what you're looking for. F&W's clients are very different than Weil SV's patent lit clients, for example.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fenwick & West is also very elite. Great clients, great culture, great pay.
I wouldn't call their patent lit group "elite." Their emerging tech/startup corporate work is certainly elite, but their patent lit group handles earlier stage companies in smaller lawsuits. When those companies get big, they go elsewhere for their patent lit. Litigation at Fenwick tends to play second fiddle to the corporate work.

I will agree with you on great culture and great (straight up market) pay. Great clients depends on your perspective and what you're looking for. F&W's clients are very different than Weil SV's patent lit clients, for example.
In the context of what Winston did this summer, that in the no-offer bloodbath of class of 2010, Fenwick gave far more SAs than it had slots. It told the SAs this was at least giving them an opportunity that was better than nothing at all -- but Fenwick said this after a number of students who had other opportunities they could have taken instead. And, Fenwick had one of the worst no-offer rates of any SV firm that summer, even though a lot of other firms like Cooley and WSGR were having similar financial issues. But I guess all is forgiven now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Fenwick handles the patent work for Cisco. I wouldn't call Cisco an emerging tech/start-up. Fenwick has the most momentum of all SV firms in the tech space and is punching in far above its weight. Go to another firm if you want to play it safe. Go to Fenwick if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next "Wilson Sonsini" of the Valley.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:56 pm

To answer OP's question, check Chambers for what is "elite." As for what is selective, I guess Quinn/Irell are selective (not nearly as selective as Keker obviously). I'm sure there are others with varying degrees of selectivity.
Anonymous User wrote:Fenwick handles the patent work for Cisco. I wouldn't call Cisco an emerging tech/start-up. Fenwick has the most momentum of all SV firms in the tech space and is punching in far above its weight. Go to another firm if you want to play it safe. Go to Fenwick if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next "Wilson Sonsini" of the Valley.
They handle Cisco's deal work, not patent lit as far as I can see (Google shows this).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

um ok

New

Post by um ok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

bk187 wrote:To answer OP's question, check Chambers for what is "elite." As for what is selective, I guess Quinn/Irell are selective (not nearly as selective as Keker obviously). I'm sure there are others with varying degrees of selectivity.
Anonymous User wrote:Fenwick handles the patent work for Cisco. I wouldn't call Cisco an emerging tech/start-up. Fenwick has the most momentum of all SV firms in the tech space and is punching in far above its weight. Go to another firm if you want to play it safe. Go to Fenwick if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next "Wilson Sonsini" of the Valley.
They handle Cisco's deal work (Google shows this).
Yeah, it can't be said that Fenwick exclusively handles Cisco patent work. See http://news.priorsmart.com/cisco-systems-v-tivo-l6bJ/.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can confirm that they are very grade snobby.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Is top reputation or pure selectivity what you're looking for? They kind of go hand in hand, but since some of the top dogs have so much work and are hungry to hire, it means you... can actually get a job there (in my eyes a good thing?) -

Quinn
Irell
MoFo
Weil

In SF, Keker and durie tangri...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”