Picking between offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Picking between offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 pm

So, I snagged an offer from my SA at a V50 in a practice group I love with people who were nice to work with. But the V50 had rumblings of financial trouble. I also have a CB with a V25 in a practice group I would like, but not love, and with people I don't know well. However, the V25 has a solid financial reputation.

How can I politely ask the V50 for more information about its stability? I think I would be happier at the V50, but a year is a long way off and anything could happen in that time. I want to know things like the average utilization rate of the associates in my practice group, the year-over-year revenue trends of the group, and the group's profitability rate. Also, because I know it was the source of the major layoffs in my group in 2008/9, I want to know how concentrated the practice group's revenue is in its primary clients. Like, does it derive most of its profit and hours from one or two clients or does it have its fingers in a bunch of pies.

I think I'll be happier at the V50 based on the type of work and people, but the stability and exit options of the V25 are very tempting. Is there any appropriate way to ask for this information without sounding ungrateful or opportunistic?

dissonance1848

Re: Picking between offers

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Suck it up and take the V25. Its better to have a job that you tolerate than love a job that gets eliminated/does not exist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 am

Just ask the V50. You already have an offer, and you'd be silly to not grill them now that you're considering working there for the foreseeable future.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 am

Both of the above posters offered good advice. Don't be afraid to ask them, but also be prepared to jump ship if you think you need to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Do the V25 CB, wait to see if you get the offer.

If you get V25 offer - Grill V50 as much as you'd like
If no V25 offer - Cautiously probe about their financial status but be careful not to offend anyone, noting that you're not sure what they're allowed to disclose and that you understand if they can't/won't.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do the V25 CB, wait to see if you get the offer.

If no V25 offer - Cautiously probe about their financial status but be careful not to offend anyone, noting that you're not sure what they're allowed to disclose and that you understand if they can't/won't.

This, bearing in mind that anyone with real knowledge of the financial situation probably is not going to tell you things are poor and that you should look elsewhere. Were there any mid-level associates at the V50 you trusted? They are most likely both to know what is going on and to be honest about it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm

There is no formulation of the question that will yield a candid and useful response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Loose Seal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do the V25 CB, wait to see if you get the offer.

This, bearing in mind that anyone with real knowledge of the financial situation probably is not going to tell you things are poor and that you should look elsewhere. Were there any mid-level associates at the V50 you trusted? They are most likely both to know what is going on and to be honest about it.

There was a mid-level I trusted who gave me a lot of the info, but he said his info was slightly dated and he didn't have specifics. I thought that by asking quantitative questions it would be harder for them to wiggle, bu you guys are right that they'll never out negative information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:44 pm

I am torn between two offers I have right now. Both V20-30 range firms, in NYC.
I liked people in both places.
Only differences I see are,
Firm A small class, not HQ.
Firm B has relatively larger class but not huge, and HQ.

I am not sure what to look at in determining my minds.
Would few ranking difference matters in terms of exit options or work qualities?
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Probably 0 difference in exit options, but the difference in work quality could be very significant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably 0 difference in exit options, but the difference in work quality could be very significant.

Mind elaborating? Difference in work quality comes from what, ranking or size of class?
Which firm is better you think?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”