interviews with "of counsel" instead of associates/partners

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

interviews with "of counsel" instead of associates/partners

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 pm

CB tomorrow has 1 partner, 3 of counsels. I have not interviewed with any "of counsel" attorneys yet. Generally speaking, should I treat them more like a partner or more like an associate? I tend to ask associates questions more about their day-to-day, getting assignments, partner associate relations, firm culture, etc. I tend to ask partners bigger questions like firm growth areas, firm culture, etc.

frank galvin

Re: interviews with "of counsel" instead of associates/partners

Postby frank galvin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Treat them like partners.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm

I had a screener with an of counsel. I was surprised, until I saw that it was former MA governor Bill Weld. Then I was more surprised.

Nice guy. Didn't seem at all like he was about to jump in the Charles River.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB tomorrow has 1 partner, 3 of counsels. I have not interviewed with any "of counsel" attorneys yet. Generally speaking, should I treat them more like a partner or more like an associate? I tend to ask associates questions more about their day-to-day, getting assignments, partner associate relations, firm culture, etc. I tend to ask partners bigger questions like firm growth areas, firm culture, etc.

Treat them like senior associates, it's basically what they are.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB tomorrow has 1 partner, 3 of counsels. I have not interviewed with any "of counsel" attorneys yet. Generally speaking, should I treat them more like a partner or more like an associate? I tend to ask associates questions more about their day-to-day, getting assignments, partner associate relations, firm culture, etc. I tend to ask partners bigger questions like firm growth areas, firm culture, etc.

:roll: Just because that's ~what they are doesn't mean that's how they want to be treated.

I would ask them the "partner" questions rather than the associate questions, particularly about assignments.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
bdubs wrote:

:roll: Just because that's ~what they are doesn't mean that's how they want to be treated.

I would ask them the "partner" questions rather than the associate questions, particularly about assignments.

This.

"Of counsel" means different things at different firms. Sometimes it's a step towards partner. Sometimes it's someone who's senior but isn't gonna make partner for whatever reason (not enough business, or family stuff, or whatever). Sometimes it's an old dude who's nearing retirement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Definitely like partners. Some of the of counsels at my firm are former partners who went off to do more prestigious things (federal judges, politicians) and after retiring from that other thing came back to the firm part-time. They can be extremely powerful and important people.

At my firm a few of the of counsels have more pull than many senior partners.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 am

When in doubt, always treat people to be more senior and/or important than you assume them to be.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 am

Former MA Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice is "Of Counsel" for Choate Hall.

Treat her like an associate!! LOLOLOLOL

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:29 am

bdubs wrote:

And be sure to treat 8th year "partners" at K&E like senior associates, since everyone knows that's basically what they are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 am

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
bdubs wrote:

This.

"Of counsel" means different things at different firms. Sometimes it's a step towards partner. Sometimes it's someone who's senior but isn't gonna make partner for whatever reason (not enough business, or family stuff, or whatever). Sometimes it's an old dude who's nearing retirement.

My summer firm had an "of counsel" who used to be partner at another firm. Not sure why he ended up of counsel at my firm, but I am sure an interviewee who treated him like a senior associate and asked things like how he gets assignments from partners would get glowing evaluations.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
bdubs wrote:

This.

My summer firm had an "of counsel" who used to be partner at another firm. Not sure why he ended up of counsel at my firm, but I am sure an interviewee who treated him like a senior associate and asked things like how he gets assignments from partners would get glowing evaluations.

Sometimes lateral partners are brought on as Of Counsel for a year or two before being upped to equity status.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 pm

rayiner can they give you an award for "guy who fucking knows basically everything about legal employment"

you should become a lawyer's headhunter when you retire

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Interviewed with an "Of Counsel" lawyer yesterday who seemed to be in charge of the group doing OCI. Great interview and callback shortly after. I'd say treat them like you'd treat a partner, but more importantly treat them like someone you'd want to hire you.

Return to “Legal Employment”