Dress for a casual reception?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dress for a casual reception?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a law firm reception tomorrow with a casual dress code. While that obviously means "casual but presentable," does that include jeans and a button down shirt? Little lost on what to wear.

Thanks much!

Gorki

Re: Dress for a casual reception?

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a law firm reception tomorrow with a casual dress code. While that obviously means "casual but presentable," does that include jeans and a button down shirt? Little lost on what to wear.

Thanks much!

Dress shirt, nice pants, and a tie? If you can, spot it out beforehand. If no one is wearing the tie, take your tie off and stash it somewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

I'd probably go more business casual, unless you know the firm has a dress code that includes jeans. Even then, I'd still go biz caj. If you're a dude, I'd say khakis and a button down, and if you're a chick, a less dressy dress.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a law firm reception tomorrow with a casual dress code. While that obviously means "casual but presentable," does that include jeans and a button down shirt? Little lost on what to wear.

Thanks much!

Dress shirt, nice pants, and a tie? If you can, spot it out beforehand. If no one is wearing the tie, take your tie off and stash it somewhere.

OP here. I should have mentioned the venue - it is at a divey "law school" bar. I was thinking slacks and a dress shirt (err on the side of caution and all) until I checked out the venue today. Hence the confusion....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Unless it's like...a windowless room, stick to the floor kind of place, I'd still wear khakis.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Gorki wrote:

Thanks much!

OP here. I should have mentioned the venue - it is at a divey "law school" bar. I was thinking slacks and a dress shirt (err on the side of caution and all) until I checked out the venue today. Hence the confusion....

Oh. Then I would go khakis and a button down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks everyone!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I would wear a sheath dress, but I guess that wouldn't help if you're not female.

Return to “Legal Employment”