HP First Year Attorney Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HP First Year Attorney Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:either

I have an upcoming call back.

palo alto?

I think they are doing the interviewing by practice group, not location; but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:either

I have an upcoming call back.

palo alto?

I think they are doing the interviewing by practice group, not location; but I could be wrong.

You are correct. I was told they are waiting until they have finished interviewing for all practice groups before they sent out offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear. Do you think you guys could post stats/SA experience or anything potentially relevant/helpful? Thanks so much, and best of luck to everyone.

HYS, slightly above median, V20 SA, 6 yrs WE before law school. Had CB 3 weeks ago still haven't heard back. Followed up last week and was told they'd make decisions in about a week or two.

Assuming you received an offer from your V20 SA, why do you want this HP position over your V20 firm? Just Curious.

I did get an offer from my SA but I don't really want to work in a law firm. I don't care about prestige as I'm more of a fit person, which is why I turned down a V5 SA offer last year. I just don't see the point of working myself to death and I like the idea of leaving work at 6 everyday. Since I don't really have any law school debt, 130K is more than enough for me. Lastly, HP doesn't follow the up and out model so i don't always have to chase the next job instead I can really learn about my client, work in the tech field, learn more about the business side and grow with the company. I know someone in the thread said it's better to start at a firm but I disagree. It depends on the person and for me starting at HP would be awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear. Do you think you guys could post stats/SA experience or anything potentially relevant/helpful? Thanks so much, and best of luck to everyone.

HYS, slightly above median, V20 SA, 6 yrs WE before law school. Had CB 3 weeks ago still haven't heard back. Followed up last week and was told they'd make decisions in about a week or two.

Assuming you received an offer from your V20 SA, why do you want this HP position over your V20 firm? Just Curious.

I did get an offer from my SA but I don't really want to work in a law firm. I don't care about prestige as I'm more of a fit person, which is why I turned down a V5 SA offer last year. I just don't see the point of working myself to death and I like the idea of leaving work at 6 everyday. Since I don't really have any law school debt, 130K is more than enough for me. Lastly, HP doesn't follow the up and out model so i don't always have to chase the next job instead I can really learn about my client, work in the tech field, learn more about the business side and grow with the company. I know someone in the thread said it's better to start at a firm but I disagree. It depends on the person and for me starting at HP would be awesome.

I'm the one who you refer to. Your reasoning is perfectly fine, but it is subjective. Just for the record -- I did turn down two V5 offers to pick a V10 offer that I thought was a better fit for me. In any case, I enjoyed my summer and thought the culture was not too bad at all. I have also worked in an in house legal department before (though not at HP) -- and found the work to be a little boring, and the training not nearly as good as that at a firm. I am fairly sure a few years down the line it will be more important for me to be home by 6 pm, and I'll think about moving. All this is not to point out that you made a bad choice in any way, but to defend the decision I made.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 am

Clearly, different strokes for different folks. There are very good reasons for starting out at a firm and I think you articulated those points very well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:31 am

Can someone clarify if the 130k starting salary is for all locations or just Palo Alto? Also, is there a signing bonus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 am

I have an upcoming call back.[/quote]

palo alto?[/quote]

I think they are doing the interviewing by practice group, not location; but I could be wrong.[/quote]

You are correct. I was told they are waiting until they have finished interviewing for all practice groups before they sent out offers.[/quote]

To the person who confirmed this, may I ask when you had/will have your call back and what practice group you're applying for?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
To the person who confirmed this, may I ask when you had/will have your call back and what practice group you're applying for?

CB a few weeks ago, CSM&A

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they happen to tell you how many people they would be selecting for this group and when decisions would be made?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

which practice group did you interview for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they happen to tell you how many people they would be selecting for this group and when decisions would be made?

They said first or second week of October. Not sure how many people they will be selecting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 am

CB a few weeks ago, CSM&A[/quote]

Did they happen to tell you how many people they would be selecting for this group and when decisions would be made?[/quote]

They said first or second week of October. Not sure how many people they will be selecting.[/quote]

Soon enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am

Any word on offers going out yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Its $115k with a $15k signing bonus.

I had a CB last week. I went in optimistic about working at HP, but during my interviews 1) one interviewer told me that HP is "fighting back" with the implication that the company was struggling, 2) another interviewer warned me that working in house isn't as stable as it looks, because a new board could sweep out the top legal spots to fill in with their own hires and, 3) another interviewer also alluded similar sentiments. Firms and in-house spots have their pros and cons, but this CB made me really doubt HP. However, three interviewers also told me that their quality of life is better, that they can usually predict their work flow and plan around it, and that they are overall fairly happy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Its $115k with a $15k signing bonus.

I had a CB last week. I went in optimistic about working at HP, but during my interviews 1) one interviewer told me that HP is "fighting back" with the implication that the company was struggling, 2) another interviewer warned me that working in house isn't as stable as it looks, because a new board could sweep out the top legal spots to fill in with their own hires and, 3) another interviewer also alluded similar sentiments. Firms and in-house spots have their pros and cons, but this CB made me really doubt HP. However, three interviewers also told me that their quality of life is better, that they can usually predict their work flow and plan around it, and that they are overall fairly happy.

Thank you for this info. What practice group did you interview for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm

CB a few weeks ago, CSM&A[/quote]

Did they happen to tell you how many people they would be selecting for this group and when decisions would be made?[/quote]

They said first or second week of October. Not sure how many people they will be selecting.[/quote]

Have you heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Its $115k with a $15k signing bonus.

Thank you for this info. What practice group did you interview for?

How does the salary increase?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Are all of these replies about CBs/dings for the Palo Alto location or are any from the Plano, TX location?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all of these replies about CBs/dings for the Palo Alto location or are any from the Plano, TX location?

Did you tell them you only wanted the Plano location during your CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are all of these replies about CBs/dings for the Palo Alto location or are any from the Plano, TX location?

We did OCI and no students from our school have heard back (ding, CB or otherwise). School is in Texas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

We did OCI and no students from our school have heard back (ding, CB or otherwise). School is in Texas.

what Tier or Rank is the school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 pm

They're not hiring in terms of location. It is by practice group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:49 am

bump. anyone with news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump. anyone with news?

I was told decisions will go out around Oct.18th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks. May I ask when/from whom you heard about 10/18? Someone mentioned in late Sept. that decisions would be out "in a week or two" and someone else mentioned "first or second week of Oct.," so I'm just wondering why the change.

Return to “Legal Employment”