2012 Clerkship Application Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be a very dumb question, but I'm flying to an interview and back in the same day on Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my cell phone (getting taxi from airport to courthouse and vice versa). Last time I tried to bring a cell phone into a federal courthouse, I found out that you can't even leave it at security...so I have no idea where I can possibly leave it between the airport and the courthouse.

Which courthouse? In EDNY/SDNY/ND Ill. you can definitely check your cellphone at security. Actually, thinking back to ND Ill. I think they even let me keep it with me. Although at SDNY they may try to steal it, according to this girl: http://abovethelaw.com/tag/benula-bensam/

MDNC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be a very dumb question, but I'm flying to an interview and back in the same day on Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my cell phone (getting taxi from airport to courthouse and vice versa). Last time I tried to bring a cell phone into a federal courthouse, I found out that you can't even leave it at security...so I have no idea where I can possibly leave it between the airport and the courthouse.

Which courthouse? In EDNY/SDNY/ND Ill. you can definitely check your cellphone at security. Actually, thinking back to ND Ill. I think they even let me keep it with me. Although at SDNY they may try to steal it, according to this girl: http://abovethelaw.com/tag/benula-bensam/

MDNC.

I have an interview in the same district and was specifically told not to even bring my cell phone to the courthouse (much less try to get it through security/leave it with them). I know that doesn't really answer your question, but probably worth knowing all the same. I have a feeling that, if you show up and explain the situation, they'll probably let you leave it somewhere, but I guess you should probably be prepared to leave it in a bush outside or something if it comes down to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Is there a lockbox at the airport?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

What are good interview questions to ask the judge, especially if you're a borderline candidate who got a Hail Mary interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jonwx wrote:Any word on bankruptcy judges? I am at a T2, top 30%, with bankruptcy-related internships both summers. I applied to 14 along the east coast and haven't heard anything.

Got a BR call from an east coast district last Friday and set up an interview for Thursday. Silence from the others, so I don't know if they do generally operate more slowly.

Can you specify North or South East?

South

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a lockbox at the airport?

Going to try that, not sure if they have something like this in Greensboro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Really hope that bankruptcy judges move more slowly than district court judges. TT, Top 10%, LR Exec. Board, decent amount of bankruptcy experience and a field specific letter of recommendation from a well-respected professor and I have heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 am

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but how much do professor calls matter? Not professors with a personal connection, but just wanting to follow up on their letter of recommendation, who are willing to chat you up at length? If you are a long-shot candidate, how much can this help?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but how much do professor calls matter? Not professors with a personal connection, but just wanting to follow up on their letter of recommendation, who are willing to chat you up at length? If you are a long-shot candidate, how much can this help?

Seems to get varying mileage. A few commenters earlier had the exact inverse of what you would expect: all the judges they had profs call were unsuccessful, while the blind applications experience some success. The assumption is that it can't hurt, but who knows. Depends so much judge to judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but how much do professor calls matter? Not professors with a personal connection, but just wanting to follow up on their letter of recommendation, who are willing to chat you up at length? If you are a long-shot candidate, how much can this help?

Seems to get varying mileage. A few commenters earlier had the exact inverse of what you would expect: all the judges they had profs call were unsuccessful, while the blind applications experience some success. The assumption is that it can't hurt, but who knows. Depends so much judge to judge.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I have an interview, but am a definite outside chance candidate. How much sway do professor calls hold in that case, if any?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Really hope that bankruptcy judges move more slowly than district court judges. TT, Top 10%, LR Exec. Board, decent amount of bankruptcy experience and a field specific letter of recommendation from a well-respected professor and I have heard nothing.

Friend already has interviews w multiple east coast BK judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I have an interview, but am a definite outside chance candidate. How much sway do professor calls hold in that case, if any?

If you already have an interview, I don't think more prof feedback would be especially helpful to your cause at this point. I suppose this could vary by judge though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really hope that bankruptcy judges move more slowly than district court judges. TT, Top 10%, LR Exec. Board, decent amount of bankruptcy experience and a field specific letter of recommendation from a well-respected professor and I have heard nothing.

Do you mind sharing where on the East Coast? I know SDNY and D. Del. have already been active, but what about less prestigious BK judges like EDNY, EDPA, D. NJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am

Hell, I haven't heard of any judges on SDNY that were active. Name 'em if you can please.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

Another parlay question. If the Judge's profile on OSCAR says "Do not contact chambers" you should not parlay in any form correct?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Call from DE/SNDY Bankr.

When is the "good" interview spot? Noon? 11:30? 9:00?

To 10:21 am post, I misread/mis-remembered this post from a couple days ago. I do not know for sure whether it was SDNY or D. Del or both that made a call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Call from DE/SNDY Bankr.

When is the "good" interview spot? Noon? 11:30? 9:00?

To 10:21 am post, I misread/mis-remembered this post from a couple days ago. I do not know for sure whether it was SDNY or D. Del or both that made a call.

I do. I can only speak to the rumors I've been able to gather up, but I haven't heard about any movement on non-DE bankr. I doubt SDNY bankr. is going to be as stringently on plan as others because they like to hire attorneys with WE over 3Ls. We'll see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 am

Interview with district court, N.D. GA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Alright Midwest peeps, I like this list that people have going for the competitive districts and coasts, so I made one for the flyover districts based on the judges I applied to. Feel free to add information on judges or add judges that you want information on:

Heartland District Judges
Marvin Aspen (NDIL)
Tim Baker (SDIN)
Harold Baker (CDIL)
Sarah Barker (SDIN)- Has made calls
William Bertelsman (EDKY)
Timothy Black (SDOH)- Filled per OSCAR
J. Breen (WDTN)- Filled per OSCAR
Paul Borman (EDMI)
David Bunning (EDKY)- Filled per OSCAR
James Carr (NDOH)
Paul Cherry (NDIN)
Robert Cleland (EDMI)
Avern Cohn (EDMI)- Filled per OSCAR
Roger Cosbey (NDIN)
Michael Davis (DMN)- Filled per OSCAR
David Doty (DMN)
Claire Eagan (NDOK)
Nancy Freudenthal (DWY)
William Griesbach (EDWI)
James Gwin (NDOH)
Joe Heaton (WDOK)
John Heyburn (WDKY)
Alan Johnson (DWY)
Matthew Kennelly (NDIL)
Harry Leinenweber (NDIL)
Jon McCalla (WDTN)
Joe McDade (CDIL)
John Nixon (MDTN)- Expired per OSCAR
Rebecca Pallmeyer (NDIL)- Has made calls
Gordon Quist (WDMI)
Danny Reeves (EDKY)
Gerald Rosen (EDMI)
Charles Simpson (WDKY)
Theresa Springmann (NDIN)- Has made calls
Amy St. Eve (NDIL)- Has made calls, yes?
Joseph Van Bokkelen (NDIN)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright Midwest peeps, I like this list that people have going for the competitive districts and coasts, so I made one for the flyover districts based on the judges I applied to. Feel free to add information on judges or add judges that you want information on:

Heartland District Judges
Marvin Aspen (NDIL)
Tim Baker (SDIN)
Harold Baker (CDIL)
Sarah Barker (SDIN)- Has made calls
William Bertelsman (EDKY)
Timothy Black (SDOH)- Filled per OSCAR
J. Breen (WDTN)- Filled per OSCAR
Paul Borman (EDMI)
Elaine Bucklo (NDIL)
David Bunning (EDKY)- Filled per OSCAR
James Carr (NDOH)
Ruben Castillo (NDIL) - Has made calls
Paul Cherry (NDIN)
Robert Cleland (EDMI)
Avern Cohn (EDMI)- Filled per OSCAR
Roger Cosbey (NDIN)
John Darrah (NDIL)
Michael Davis (DMN)- Filled per OSCAR
David Doty (DMN)
Claire Eagan (NDOK)
Gary Feinerman (NDIL) - Filled per OSCAR
Nancy Freudenthal (DWY)
William Griesbach (EDWI)
James Gwin (NDOH)
Joe Heaton (WDOK)
John Heyburn (WDKY)
James Holderman (NDIL)
Alan Johnson (DWY)
Matthew Kennelly (NDIL)
Harry Leinenweber (NDIL) - Usually interviews very late (March 2013 for fall 2013 term)
Jon McCalla (WDTN)
Joe McDade (CDIL)
John Nixon (MDTN)- Expired per OSCAR
Rebecca Pallmeyer (NDIL)- Has made calls
Gordon Quist (WDMI)
Danny Reeves (EDKY)
Gerald Rosen (EDMI)
Charles Simpson (WDKY)
Theresa Springmann (NDIN)- Has made calls
Amy St. Eve (NDIL)- Has made calls, yes?
Joseph Van Bokkelen (NDIN)
James Zagel (NDIL) - Has made calls

Added Bucklo, Castillo, Darrah, Feinerman, Holderman, and Zagel for NDIL, and information for Leinenweber (NDIL).

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 pm

This may be a dumb question, so I apologize if it is, but when an application says "Expired," should one assume that is equivalent to "Filled?" Or is it likely the Judge is still deciding on who to call out of the established pool of applications he or she already has?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm

wh3931110 wrote:This may be a dumb question, so I apologize if it is, but when an application says "Expired," should one assume that is equivalent to "Filled?" Or is it likely the Judge is still deciding on who to call out of the established pool of applications he or she already has?

It just means that the judge is no longer accepting applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you mind sharing where on the East Coast? I know SDNY and D. Del. have already been active, but what about less prestigious BK judges like EDNY, EDPA, D. NJ?

D. NJ is making some calls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Just received an email that Van Bokkelen is full.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an email that Van Bokkelen is full.

Ditto.

Return to “Legal Employment”