2012 Clerkship Application Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Protip: Be careful with your pre-interview coffee. If you aren't careful, it very well might end up all over your clean white shirt.

Protip II: Federal courthouse bathrooms can double-duty as laundry facilities.

Fuck me.

Ouch! At least you had something to laugh about with the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Protip: Be careful with your pre-interview coffee. If you aren't careful, it very well might end up all over your clean white shirt.

Protip II: Federal courthouse bathrooms can double-duty as laundry facilities.

Fuck me.

Protip III, for women wearing makeup: put on the makeup before putting on your clean white shirt. If you do it the other way around, see other anon's Protip II. ;)

Protip IV: For women not wearing makeup: See also Protip III.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
As an alum with both district and circuit clerkships who seriously considered the academic route and spoke to many professor-advisers about it, I agree with this advice in part and disagree in part:

- I agree that being a law professor (or at least, securing a solid placement) is a long shot, even with a top school and top grades.
- My HYS professors told me that committees would not care very much about my district court clerkship (i.e., it would be marginally helpful at best), but would view my Ninth Circuit clerkship very favorably. Obviously, my lack of a SCOTUS clerkship would put me outside the first tier of academic candidates. However, I respectfully disagree with the above-quoted advice to the extent that it implies that a circuit clerkship is completely optional or that it must be "elite" to improve your odds of an academic placement. This is because a number of my professors told me that circuit clerkships were valued by virtually all hiring committees (even if not for a feeder judge) and viewed as a baseline, necessary credential by many committees. I strongly urge you to prioritize securing a circuit clerkship - or at least to discuss with your professor mentors how important they believe it is to clerk at the circuit level before abandoning the prospect of doing so. This is especially true because it does not sound like you are at a T14 school, let alone HYS, so for you it will be all the more important to "signal" hiring committees that you are a sufficiently elite candidate. I'm not saying this because I am elitist - but because the hiring committees are. (In fact, one of the reasons I personally decided against academia is that I was unimpressed by their obsession with credentials, even though I have many of the credentials that they value.)
- I agree that the most relevant criterion for an academic placement - beyond generally having a sterling resume - is publications. You must make time to write these. You may find that you don't have sufficient time during either your clerkship or firm placement, especially if you clerk for an active judge. In this case, you should make use of the postgraduate fellowships available to aspiring law professors, such as the Climenko at HLS and the Bigelow at Chicago. Those types of fellowships are intended to pay you a living stipend (50-65K) while allowing you time to write, usually in exchange for helping to teach the school's LRW classes. However, they are sufficiently competitive that most candidates who are seriously considered already have postgraduate law review publications (i.e., something more than a student note).

Also: why don't you want to clerk? Clerking is a wonderful experience - and honestly, most aspiring law professors tend to enjoy clerking much more than practice. The work you do during a clerkship is relentlessly substantive, and at the appellate level, you are working on the types of cases about which you'd want to write as an academic. If it's about the money - well, going the academic route is going to require some financial sacrifices - see above note about fellowship salaries.

ClerkAnon

Thanks for the advice/background. I don't really want to clerk for a couple of reasons, including the fact that my firm gives a tiny clerkship bonus and no credits toward partnership. That means that a year spent clerking could be better spent trying to make partner -- which is all the more valuable if I end up not get an academic position in the future. The money is only part of it (in the end, it's about a $40k difference between what I would make for a year as a clerk and a year as an associate -- not minor at all, but not enough to sway me either way). My only interest in the academic field is teaching legal writing -- no interest whatsoever in teaching in another field (and I think hiring standards are generally lower for legal writing professors). I know that a clerkship is almost a necessity for a legal writing professor, but I feel like it's a bit of overkill if I end up not getting such a position since I don't want to teach any other subjects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Just received an email from Judge Jerome A. Holmes (10th Circuit) that he has filled all of his 2013-2014 clerkship openings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Melloy has hired at least one clerk for 2013-14

Yes. I believe he is done hiring.

Jonwx

Postby Jonwx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Any word on bankruptcy judges? I am at a T2, top 30%, with bankruptcy-related internships both summers. I applied to 14 along the east coast and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Jonwx wrote:Any word on bankruptcy judges? I am at a T2, top 30%, with bankruptcy-related internships both summers. I applied to 14 along the east coast and haven't heard anything.

Same boat, though without quite as a strong a BK background. Crickets. I think BK judges just move slower, outside Delaware and SDNY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jonwx wrote:Any word on bankruptcy judges? I am at a T2, top 30%, with bankruptcy-related internships both summers. I applied to 14 along the east coast and haven't heard anything.

Same boat, though without quite as a strong a BK background. Crickets. I think BK judges just move slower, outside Delaware and SDNY.

Also waiting on BK judges. Applied to 35 mostly through OSCAR, but a few paper apps. T2, top 15%, with bankruptcy coursework and experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Any tips on Texas judges known for exploding offers, particularly in Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:28 pm

re: parlay calls. Do they normally let you know during the call if theyll have you, or do they contact you later on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm

call from S.D.N.Y. magistrate 5 mins ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

For bk interviews, I have one out east and two out west.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: parlay calls. Do they normally let you know during the call if theyll have you, or do they contact you later on?

All that I have called said that they would call me back to let me know, but no word so far from any after 24 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: parlay calls. Do they normally let you know during the call if theyll have you, or do they contact you later on?

It varies. A few pages back, I described receiving two parlay interviews during my 3L application cycle for clerkships. In one case, the JA kept me on the phone while she talked to the judge and told me promptly that an interview would be forthcoming. In the other case, the clerk called me back later in the day to invite me in for a parlay interview. I think that for the most part, the chambers that didn't let me parlay declined promptly on the phone. I don't remember if any of them said they might call back, then didn't.

ClerkAnon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Got a BR call from an east coast district last Friday and set up an interview for Thursday. Silence from the others, so I don't know if they do generally operate more slowly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got a BR call from an east coast district last Friday and set up an interview for Thursday. Silence from the others, so I don't know if they do generally operate more slowly.

Can you specify North or South East?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Updated today. An asterisk denotes who's new this go-round.

Anonymous User wrote:According to my school's career people, people at my school have reported to the clerkship office that these judges have called or hired:

CA1 — Providence
Selya

CA2 — New Haven
Calabresi
Carney
CA2 — New York
Chin
Jacobs
Katzmann
Livingston
Lohier
CA2 — Syracuse
Pooler

CA3 — Santa Barbara
Aldisert
CA3 — Wilmington
Jordan
CA3 — Philadelphia
Scirica
CA3 — Pittsburgh
*Hardiman
CA3 — Newark
*Shwartz (nominee)

CA5 — New Orleans
Higginson
CA5 — Jackson
Jolly

CA6 — Louisville
Boggs
CA6 — Nashville
*Stranch

CA7 — Chicago
Williams

CA8 — Little Rock
*Arnold

CA9 — San Francisco
Bea
CA9 — Pasadena
Kozinski
CA9 — Fairbanks
*Kleinfeld

CADC
Brown
Ginsburg
Griffith
Kavanaugh
Williams

FED
Dyk
Newman
Prost

M.D.Ala. — Montgomery
Fuller

C.D.Cal. — Los Angeles
King
Morrow
Pfaelzer
Wilson
C.D.Cal. — Riversidy
*Phillips

E.D.Cal. — Sacramento
Shubb

N.D.Cal. — San Francisco
Alsup

D.Conn. — Bridgeport
Hall
Underhill
D.Conn. — Hartford
*Thompson

D.D.C. — Washington
Contreras
Leon
Roberts

S.D.Fla. — Miami
*Graham

N.D.Ga. — Atlanta
Thrash

W.D.La. — Lafayette/Brooklyn
Melancon

D.Md. — Baltimore
Hollander
Motz

D.Mass. — Boston
Gorton
D.Mass — Worcester
Saylor

W.D.Mo. — Kansas City
Kays
W.D.Mo. — Jefferson City
*Laughrey

D.Nev. — Las Vegas
Du

D.N.H. — Concord
Barbadoro

D.N.J. — Camden
Kugler
Simandle
D.N.J. — Newark
*McNulty

E.D.N.Y. — Brooklyn
Amon
Brodie
Dearie
Garaufis
*Ross
Vitaliano
E.D.N.Y. — Central Islip
*Bianco

S.D.N.Y. — New York
Abrams
Baer
Castel
Cedarbaum
Forrest
Furman
Kaplan
Koeltl
McMahon
Nathan
Oetken
Patterson
Rakoff
Stein
Sullivan
S.D.N.Y. — White Plains
Karas
Seibel

N.D.Ohio — Cleveland
Gwin
Oliver
Polster

S.D.Ohio — Columbus
*Sargus

E.D.Pa. — Philadelphia
DuBois
Schiller
Yohn

D.S.C. — Columbia
*Seymour

M.D.Tenn. — Nashville
Nixon

W.D.Tenn. — Memphis
McCalla

N.D.Tex. — Dallas
Fitzwater

S.D.Tex. — Houston
Gilmore
S.D.Tex. — Laredo
*Garcia Marmolejo

E.D.Va. — Alexandra
*Lee
E.D.Va. — Norfolk
*Jackson
E.D.Va. — Richmond
*Spencer

W.D.Wash. — Seattle
Coughenour

S.D.W.Va. — Huntington
Chambers
S.D.W.Va. — Charleston
*Copenhaver

Mag. C.D.Cal. — Los Angeles
Abrams

Mag. N.D.Ill. — Chicago
*Valdez

Mag. D.N.M. — Las Cruces
*Lynch

Mag. E.D.N.Y. — Brooklyn
*Pollak

Mag. S.D.N.Y. — New York
Francis
*Gorenstein

Mag. S.D.Tex. — Houston
*Johnson

Me. Supreme — Portland

Del. Supreme — Dover
Steele

Del. Chancery — Wilmington
Laster
Parsons
Strine

N.H. Supreme

N.J. Supreme — Morristown
LaVecchia
N.J. Supreme — Trenton
Rabner

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Add Schroeder (MDNC- Winston Salem), Marshall (ED Ark- Little Rock), and Campbell (D Ariz- Phoenix)...there's also a list of Michigan judges that have called people a couple of pages back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Would you make a parlay call if you are driving 2 and a half hours to interview and the judge you are thinking about calling is 20 minutes further and the OSCAR posting expressly says "Do not call chambers"? As far as I can tell the judge has not made calls yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you make a parlay call if you are driving 2 and a half hours to interview and the judge you are thinking about calling is 20 minutes further and the OSCAR posting expressly says "Do not call chambers"? As far as I can tell the judge has not made calls yet.

I emailed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

You can add Godbey to NDTX judges.

bschak

Postby bschak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can add Godbey to NDTX judges.

Goodbye Godbey!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 pm

This may be a very dumb question, but I'm flying to an interview and back in the same day on Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my cell phone (getting taxi from airport to courthouse and vice versa). Last time I tried to bring a cell phone into a federal courthouse, I found out that you can't even leave it at security...so I have no idea where I can possibly leave it between the airport and the courthouse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be a very dumb question, but I'm flying to an interview and back in the same day on Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my cell phone (getting taxi from airport to courthouse and vice versa). Last time I tried to bring a cell phone into a federal courthouse, I found out that you can't even leave it at security...so I have no idea where I can possibly leave it between the airport and the courthouse.

Which courthouse? In EDNY/SDNY/ND Ill. you can definitely check your cellphone at security. Actually, thinking back to ND Ill. I think they even let me keep it with me. Although at SDNY they may try to steal it, according to this girl: http://abovethelaw.com/tag/benula-bensam/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 pm

You can bring a phone in to NDTX.

Return to “Legal Employment”