2012 Clerkship Application Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard much about San Fran. Anything from Patel/Seeborg/White?

Assuming you're talking about White and not Whyte, White doesn't hire term clerks (only career clerks). No clue on Patel, and word was that Seeborg was hoping to interview slightly before the plan, but I can't confirm that he did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So the CoA hope list for the hopeless is currently, with 37 judges unaccounted for:

DC: Henderson, Randolph, Rogers
First:
Second:
Third: Vanaskie, Scirica
Fourth: King, Shedd, Wynn
Fifth: Benavides, Graves
Sixth: Cook, Guy, Cole, Clay, Keith, Kennedy, Siler, Martin, Griffin, Stranch, Daughtrey
Seventh: Bauer, Coffey
Eighth: Melloy, Bye, Benton, Riley, Shepherd
Ninth: Kleinfeld, Schroeder
Tenth: Porfilio
Eleventh: Hull, Kravitch, Anderson, Barkett, Marcus

Let's narrow this down and expand it. I am keeping this updated based on information posted below.

Someone earlier had asked if Loken on the 8th Circ had been accounted for an no one responded. Is there any reason to believe Loken isn't also unaccounted for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard much about San Fran. Anything from Patel/Seeborg/White?

Assuming you're talking about White and not Whyte, White doesn't hire term clerks (only career clerks). No clue on Patel, and word was that Seeborg was hoping to interview slightly before the plan, but I can't confirm that he did.

thx

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Back up to 42 on the CoA hope list:

DC: Henderson, Randolph
First:
Second: Winter, Newman
Third: Vanaskie
Fourth: Shedd, Wynn
Sixth: Cook, Guy, Cole, Clay, Keith, Siler, Martin, Griffin, Stranch,
Eighth: Melloy, Bye, Benton, Riley, Shepherd, Loken
Ninth: Kleinfeld, Schroeder, Gould, Murguia, Tashima, M. Smith, Hurwitz
Eleventh: Hull, Kravitch, Anderson, Barkett, Carnes, Fay

(These are CoA judges we have not heard made calls)

This is not comprehensive, that it did not start from a list of all CoA judges, so if there are others you think have not been mentioned, please let me know.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:50 pm

I haven't heard any report of Boudin (1) calling.

(thanks for the quick edit!)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've heard that Patel isn't hiring term clerks any longer. As for Seeborg, I believe he has been interviewing candidates already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Back up to 35 on the CoA hope list:

First: Boudin
Second:
Sixth: Cook, Guy, Cole, Clay, Keith, Kennedy, Siler, Martin, Griffin, Stranch, Daughtrey
Eleventh: Hull, Kravitch, Anderson, Barkett

This is not comprehensive, that it did not start from a list of all CoA judges, so if there are others you think have not been mentioned, please let me know.

Per a call to chambers a couple months ago, I was told that Kennedy (6) plans on retiring and won't be hiring.

I think Carnes, Fay, and Pryor on the 11th are still unaccounted for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Did anyone else get the questionnaire from Judge Boyle in the EDNC? I think it's safe to assume that he probably didn't have time to look those over by Friday at noon, but has anyone heard anything further from him?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Any word on the following 9th Cir. judges: Gould, Murguia, Tashima, M. Smith, Hurwitz, Schroeder?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on the following 9th Cir. judges: Gould, Murguia, Tashima, M. Smith, Hurwitz, Schroeder?

Added these above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm

E.D.Pa.:
Someone said that Schiller and Yohn (and maybe someone else) had called, but there are a lot who haven't been mentioned. Has anyone heard about:
Buckwalter, Davis, Diamond, Jones, Joyner, Kelly, McLaughlin, Robreno, Rufe, Shapiro, Slomsky, Surrick, Tucker

(Or, alternatively, are any of these known to be out of the business of hiring term clerks?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 pm

In a previous cycle, I was called by Tashima and M. Smith for ahead-of-plan alum interviews. I'm sorry that I don't have information on their hiring for this year, but just fyi that alum hiring may be a partial (or complete) explanation for why people haven't heard from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:E.D.Pa.:
Someone said that Schiller and Yohn (and maybe someone else) had called, but there are a lot who haven't been mentioned. Has anyone heard about:
Buckwalter, Davis, Diamond, Jones, Joyner, Kelly, McLaughlin, Robreno, Rufe, Shapiro, Slomsky, Surrick, Tucker

(Or, alternatively, are any of these known to be out of the business of hiring term clerks?)

Davis and DuBois made calls. For the "judges to hold out hope for list", someone on page 15 of this thread said their career services told them that Scirica on the Third Circuit made calls, but I don't personally know if that's true.

Anyone hear from Winter/Newman on the Second Circuit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Davis has made calls. I understand that Jones and Rufe are done hiring. If anyone has information on the others, I'd like to know as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:15 pm

I know the general rule is you don't say no to a judge, but does that apply if you applied for a clerkship beginning in 2013 and they offer you one for 2014? Are you still obligated to accept even if the offer is for a year out and wasn't advertised as such?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on the following 9th Cir. judges: Gould, Murguia, Tashima, M. Smith, Hurwitz, Schroeder?

Murguia definitely interviewed off-plan, but she also was open to considering applicants into September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the general rule is you don't say no to a judge, but does that apply if you applied for a clerkship beginning in 2013 and they offer you one for 2014? Are you still obligated to accept even if the offer is for a year out and wasn't advertised as such?

No, you surely don't have to take a job that you never applied for. To be gracious, I would give a reason that has to do with 2014 not fitting into your career or family plans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard any report of Boudin (1) calling.

(thanks for the quick edit!)
Boudin has called at least some people. And I'm pretty sure he's one of these "I call exactly four people and have exactly four interviews/offers on the day"-type judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the general rule is you don't say no to a judge, but does that apply if you applied for a clerkship beginning in 2013 and they offer you one for 2014? Are you still obligated to accept even if the offer is for a year out and wasn't advertised as such?

Speaking as a former clerk who did not accept every offer received, you aren't "obligated to accept" at all, and certainly not if they offer you a clerkship different than the one for which you applied. Considerations to bear in mind when turning down offers, in addition to the above anon's sound advice to keep things gracious:

- You may come up empty-handed and regret your decision not to take the clerkship that seemed somewhat less than ideal (e.g., not the term you were looking for);
- You may have more difficulty in receiving an offer from other judges on the same court;
- You may be making things more difficult for future clerks from your school, at least according to various CSOs. I am not fully convinced that this is true, unless you're part of a widespread phenomenon in which 3Ls or alums at your school become especially known for rampantly turning down offers. I certainly have never heard a judge mention overtly that they are biased against a particular law school's students because a 3L once turned down an offer.

I turned down two offers for district court clerkships when I was applying, both in districts where I did not intend to practice. One of them was for a term slightly different than I wanted (six months later, not a full year later.) The other was for the term for which I applied. I'm now a few years into a litigation career. There have been no consequences to my decision - beyond my remaining available to receive and accept a clerkship in the district in which I really wanted to clerk. Needless to say, if I had not gotten the subsequent offer, I'd have felt that consequence #1 above applied. And if I intended to practice in the districts in question, prior to turning down the offers, I would have taken into account the awkwardness of appearing in front of the judges whose offers I had rejected.

ClerkAnon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Speaking as a former clerk who did not accept every offer received, you aren't "obligated to accept" at all, and certainly not if they offer you a clerkship different than the one for which you applied. Considerations to bear in mind when turning down offers, in addition to the above anon's sound advice to keep things gracious:

- You may come up empty-handed and regret your decision not to take the clerkship that seemed somewhat less than ideal (e.g., not the term you were looking for);
- You may have more difficulty in receiving an offer from other judges on the same court;
- You may be making things more difficult for future clerks from your school, at least according to various CSOs. I am not fully convinced that this is true, unless you're part of a widespread phenomenon in which 3Ls or alums at your school become especially known for rampantly turning down offers. I certainly have never heard a judge mention overtly that they are biased against a particular law school's students because a 3L once turned down an offer.

I turned down two offers for district court clerkships when I was applying, both in districts where I did not intend to practice. One of them was for a term slightly different than I wanted (six months later, not a full year later.) The other was for the term for which I applied. I'm now a few years into a litigation career. There have been no consequences to my decision - beyond my remaining available to receive and accept a clerkship in the district in which I really wanted to clerk. Needless to say, if I had not gotten the subsequent offer, I'd have felt that consequence #1 above applied. And if I intended to practice in the districts in question, prior to turning down the offers, I would have taken into account the awkwardness of appearing in front of the judges whose offers I had rejected.

ClerkAnon

When you turned down the offer for the term you applied for, was it because something happened during the interview that made you think you wouldn't like clerking there? Or did you get more interviews than you had expected and felt confident you'd land something else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Same poster here. Forget to ask about my Camden peeps as well — Hillman and Rodriguez?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Back up to 35 on the CoA hope list:

First: Boudin
Second:
Eleventh: Hull, Kravitch, Anderson, Barkett

Per a call to chambers a couple months ago, I was told that Kennedy (6) plans on retiring and won't be hiring.

I think Carnes, Fay, and Pryor on the 11th are still unaccounted for.

Pryor hired long ago (Winter). Carnes hired several clerks this spring, although he may have 1 spot open as he is taking Chief next year and so gets an extra clerk. Daughtrey hired off plan. Anderson adheres strictly to the hiring plan, so I would be surprised if he has not already made calls, but I do not know for sure that he has not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Same poster here. Forget to ask about my Camden peeps as well — Hillman and Rodriguez?

I think Hillman might have posted on OSCAR that he is not hiring. Don't know about Rodriguez. I know Irenas' clerk told me yesterday that they filled the position with a former summer intern.

Does anyone know about Bumb (Camden)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Also, any information on Hug?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Per her chambers, Judge Schroeder (9th) won't start dealing with her clerkships (I couldn't tell if the JA said 'reviewing' or 'interviewing') until later in the fall/early winter.

Return to “Legal Employment”