2012 Clerkship Application Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 am

los blancos wrote:Do state trial-level clerkships generally provide decent exit options?


Interested to know this as well.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Geist13 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:Do state trial-level clerkships generally provide decent exit options?


Interested to know this as well.


Both DA offices I have worked at like to hire trial clerks. My very insular, small hometown market also appears to value such positions. Otherwise, no not really.

And by "likes to hire" I mean they'll hire one or two each year; its still a freaking long shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:50 am

I will add some encouragement here. This time last year, I received one COA call from a judge I didn't expect. I received another COA call on Monday, and then a COA call on Tuesday. I now work for the judge who called me on Tuesday. Long and the short of it is that the Friday call date isn't rigid for all chambers. And no, for anon's sake, will not reveal judge or circuit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 am

Other than Marcus, who another poster says has already made calls, can anyone shed light on the hiring situation for the remaining Fla. 11th Cir. judges (Barkett, Jordan, Fay, Wilson, Tjoflat, Black)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I will add some encouragement here. This time last year, I received one COA call from a judge I didn't expect. I received another COA call on Monday, and then a COA call on Tuesday. I now work for the judge who called me on Tuesday. Long and the short of it is that the Friday call date isn't rigid for all chambers. And no, for anon's sake, will not reveal judge or circuit.

Im just a 3L now, but after discussing with a number of people and CSO, I'd be shocked if more than half or even close to half of the non-chicago flyover districts have made calls .

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Other than Marcus, who another poster says has already made calls, can anyone shed light on the hiring situation for the remaining Fla. 11th Cir. judges (Barkett, Jordan, Fay, Wilson, Tjoflat, Black)?

Jordan hired long ago. And Marcus was interviewing this past week before the official plan dates.

I have a more general question for the people in this thread: did you also apply off-plan? Or did you only send apps through OSCAR? If the latter, why?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:36 am

Citizen Genet wrote:For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.


Two of them had personal friendships with one of my recommenders (clerkship connections for the same judge a while back), and one is a graduate of my law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.


Got three interviews. I had no connections to any of the judges that I'm currently aware of. It's possible for the two that are in my market, one of my recommenders knew them (but it's also entirely possible that he doesn't). Slightly personalized letter for one, in that his OSCAR profile asked for applicants to include specific information and I did so. Nothing beyond that and my usual form letter, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 am

Citizen Genet wrote:For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.


NOTE: this opinion is limited to competitive CoA (i.e. DC, 2nd Cir., etc.) and D. Cts. (i.e. SDNY, DDC, CDCA, etc.); I don't know if my opinions expressed in this post apply to flyover district court judges or magistrates.

I got 4 interviews and I can tell you that 3 of them came because the person who recommended me had a personal connection to the judge. Either the recommender and judge were good friends or that the recommender had the ear of the judge (i.e. someone the judge truly respects). I think only one of my interview spots came as a result of the judge looking at my application after receiving a call from one of my recommenders who he didn't know very well.

I personally don't know if it is possible to get an interview nowadays (at either the CoA or a competitive D. Ct.) if the judge doesn't at least receive some sort of call from one of your professors. Of course I'm pretty sure if you are EIC of the Yale Law Journal, you probably won't need anyone to make calls and your applications automatically jumps to the top of the pile. But almost everyone else, even top 5% at a T6 will need someone to call the judge to have almost any chance at an interview.

This process is more about who your recommenders know and whether the judge respects their opinion moreso than your actual accomplishments. This is not to say that you can be below median at a T14 and get a 2nd Circuit clerkship. You still need to be an applicant who has the credentials for the spot to have a professor actually go to bat for you with a judge. However, because there are so many qualified people for each spot, its almost impossible to get chosen from the pool of applicants just because you are top 10% LR at a T14. It makes a HUGE difference in differentiating yourself from the rest of the pile of great applicants if the judge receives a call from a close friend that will personally vouch for you that you should be the person the judge chooses.

Thus, to get a CoA clerkship or competitive D. Ct. nowadays, you need more than just being top 5% LR at a T14 to get a "good" clerkship. You need to have made GREAT connections with Profs at your school that are connected with judges so that they can call their friend on the court and tell them that you are the guy they need to hire. This process is WAY MORE about who you know than what you know.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:59 am

*Delete*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Loken, Buchwald, Saris, & Wolf have all made calls

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.


Lynch, Cote, Lucero, and Saris have all made calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.



Flaum was done pre-Plan this year. Hardiman has made calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.


Lynch, Cote, Lucero, and Saris have all made calls.


Thanks for the quick response. And just to be sure, we're talking Sandra Lynch, not Gerard Lynch?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.


Lynch, Cote, Lucero, and Saris have all made calls.


Thanks for the quick response. And just to be sure, we're talking Sandra Lynch, not Gerard Lynch?


I can confirm that Hardiman and Saris has made calls as well. Farris sent out a confirmation email to say he received the application (not sure if that was sent to everybody or just ones he is seriously considering) and that he would get back to people on the possibility of interviews at some point. Wolf also made calls (or emails to call chambers to set up an interview). Wolf seems intent on only interviewing on the 13th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Haven't heard much about San Fran. Anything from Patel/Seeborg/White?

84weeks
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby 84weeks » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to determine who might still be making calls. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of calls going out from the following judges:

1st Circ: Lynch

3rd Circ: Barry, Fisher, Hardiman

7th Circ: Bauer, Flaum

8th Circ: Loken

9th Circ: Farris, Gould,

10th Circ: Lucero

11th Circ: Barkett

EDNY: Block, Mauskopf, Ross
SDNY: Buchwald, Cote, Daniels, Engelmayer, Gardephe, Griesa, Owen
DDC: Lamberth
EDVA: Lee, O'Grady
D. MA: Tauro, Saris, Wolf

Any info is extremely appreciated.


3d Cir. Fisher made calls before Friday - he actually interviewed at least a couple people yesterday.

Clarification: I know this second hand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.


NOTE: this opinion is limited to competitive CoA (i.e. DC, 2nd Cir., etc.) and D. Cts. (i.e. SDNY, DDC, CDCA, etc.); I don't know if my opinions expressed in this post apply to flyover district court judges or magistrates.

I got 4 interviews and I can tell you that 3 of them came because the person who recommended me had a personal connection to the judge. Either the recommender and judge were good friends or that the recommender had the ear of the judge (i.e. someone the judge truly respects). I think only one of my interview spots came as a result of the judge looking at my application after receiving a call from one of my recommenders who he didn't know very well.

I personally don't know if it is possible to get an interview nowadays (at either the CoA or a competitive D. Ct.) if the judge doesn't at least receive some sort of call from one of your professors. Of course I'm pretty sure if you are EIC of the Yale Law Journal, you probably won't need anyone to make calls and your applications automatically jumps to the top of the pile. But almost everyone else, even top 5% at a T6 will need someone to call the judge to have almost any chance at an interview.

This process is more about who your recommenders know and whether the judge respects their opinion moreso than your actual accomplishments. This is not to say that you can be below median at a T14 and get a 2nd Circuit clerkship. You still need to be an applicant who has the credentials for the spot to have a professor actually go to bat for you with a judge. However, because there are so many qualified people for each spot, its almost impossible to get chosen from the pool of applicants just because you are top 10% LR at a T14. It makes a HUGE difference in differentiating yourself from the rest of the pile of great applicants if the judge receives a call from a close friend that will personally vouch for you that you should be the person the judge chooses.

Thus, to get a CoA clerkship or competitive D. Ct. nowadays, you need more than just being top 5% LR at a T14 to get a "good" clerkship. You need to have made GREAT connections with Profs at your school that are connected with judges so that they can call their friend on the court and tell them that you are the guy they need to hire. This process is WAY MORE about who you know than what you know.


Allow me to provide my two cents as someone who's already been through this process, and admittedly, has checked this thread today to see if my judge's name popped up. I got multiple interviews on the 2d Cir. (in NYC), and while at least one resulted from a professor's call, at least one resulted from a pure resume bomb. So it is possible to score interviews on competitive circuits with competitive judges without a connection. As for less competitive circuits, I definitely had success with just sending out applications, having received a couple CoA interviews that way.

As interviews come next week, remember that we clerks aren't too far removed from where you sit. Being polite and friendly, as well as interested and knowledgeable about the job, is 90% of the battle. If you're being interviewed (in most chambers), you are qualified. So don't be arrogant and remember that you're interviewing for a job, not a year of vacation.

Good luck to all!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.


NOTE: this opinion is limited to competitive CoA (i.e. DC, 2nd Cir., etc.) and D. Cts. (i.e. SDNY, DDC, CDCA, etc.); I don't know if my opinions expressed in this post apply to flyover district court judges or magistrates.

I got 4 interviews and I can tell you that 3 of them came because the person who recommended me had a personal connection to the judge. Either the recommender and judge were good friends or that the recommender had the ear of the judge (i.e. someone the judge truly respects). I think only one of my interview spots came as a result of the judge looking at my application after receiving a call from one of my recommenders who he didn't know very well.

I personally don't know if it is possible to get an interview nowadays (at either the CoA or a competitive D. Ct.) if the judge doesn't at least receive some sort of call from one of your professors. Of course I'm pretty sure if you are EIC of the Yale Law Journal, you probably won't need anyone to make calls and your applications automatically jumps to the top of the pile. But almost everyone else, even top 5% at a T6 will need someone to call the judge to have almost any chance at an interview.

This process is more about who your recommenders know and whether the judge respects their opinion moreso than your actual accomplishments. This is not to say that you can be below median at a T14 and get a 2nd Circuit clerkship. You still need to be an applicant who has the credentials for the spot to have a professor actually go to bat for you with a judge. However, because there are so many qualified people for each spot, its almost impossible to get chosen from the pool of applicants just because you are top 10% LR at a T14. It makes a HUGE difference in differentiating yourself from the rest of the pile of great applicants if the judge receives a call from a close friend that will personally vouch for you that you should be the person the judge chooses.

Thus, to get a CoA clerkship or competitive D. Ct. nowadays, you need more than just being top 5% LR at a T14 to get a "good" clerkship. You need to have made GREAT connections with Profs at your school that are connected with judges so that they can call their friend on the court and tell them that you are the guy they need to hire. This process is WAY MORE about who you know than what you know.


Allow me to provide my two cents as someone who's already been through this process, and admittedly, has checked this thread today to see if my judge's name popped up. I got multiple interviews on the 2d Cir. (in NYC), and while at least one resulted from a professor's call, at least one resulted from a pure resume bomb. So it is possible to score interviews on competitive circuits with competitive judges without a connection. As for less competitive circuits, I definitely had success with just sending out applications, having received a couple CoA interviews that way.

As interviews come next week, remember that we clerks aren't too far removed from where you sit. Being polite and friendly, as well as interested and knowledgeable about the job, is 90% of the battle. If you're being interviewed (in most chambers), you are qualified. So don't be arrogant and remember that you're interviewing for a job, not a year of vacation.

Good luck to all!


If you don't mind, could you please let us know what your stats (school, rank, LR, published note, etc.) were when you applied? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applying at a 3L
School: HYS
Rank: Top 40% (12 Hs, 10 Ps)
Journal: Secondary E-Board
Applying to: 15 total - Several state supremes, west coast districts, and a couple of CoA.


Updating. Crickets except for one of the state supreme courts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:42 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:For those having success (any interviews), can you please indicate whether you (1) had a connection to the judge (prof knows them personally, etc.), (2) had recommenders without a connection to the judge call them, or (3) personalized your cover letter toward the judge.



As interviews come next week, remember that we clerks aren't too far removed from where you sit. Being polite and friendly, as well as interested and knowledgeable about the job, is 90% of the battle. If you're being interviewed (in most chambers), you are qualified. So don't be arrogant and remember that you're interviewing for a job, not a year of vacation.

Good luck to all!


Thanks for what you've written already. Could you elaborate on how to demonstrate being "knowledgeable about the job" yet avoid arrogance? I was thinking about this last night and it seems like it would be a trickier balance than it would for firm interviews. Thanks again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Any info on these judges would be great:

DC Circuit:
Henderson
Randolph
Rogers
Sentelle

Eighth:
Melloy
Bye
Benton
Riley
Sheperd

Eleventh:
Hull
Kravitch
Martin
Tjoflat
Anderson
Barkett
Marcus


Fifth:
Benavides
Graves
Higginson

Fourth:
Niemeyer
King
Wilkinson
Shedd
Floyd
Wynn

Ninth:
Kleinfeld

Seventh:
Bauer
Coffey

Sixth:
Cook
Guy
Batchelder
Kethledge
Cole
Clay
Keith
Kennedy
Rogers
Siler
Martin
Griffin

Tenth:
Porfilio

Third:
McKee
Vanaskie

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on these judges would be great:
Eleventh:

Kravitch
Martin HIRED, alumni/off-plan
Tjoflat
Anderson
Barkett
Marcus off plan

Fourth:
Niemeyer HIRED, off plan
King
Wilkinson HIRED, off plan
Shedd
Floyd
Wynn

Sixth:
Cook
Guy
Batchelder HIRED, off plan
Kethledge HIRED, off plan
Cole
Clay
Keith
Kennedy
Rogers
Siler
Martin
Griffin




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.