2012 Clerkship Application Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm really late to this thread (and it also looks like my luck was a bit anomalous), but for whatever it is worth, here is how things went for me.

Year: 3L
School: T20
LR: Secondary
Other: Apparently I have improved my interviewing skills since OCI lat year.
SA: Mid-sized firm, secondary market (maybe tertiary market)
D.Ct. Applications: about 20
Circuit applications: 3
State court applications: 29
Interviews: 2 state court, 1 circuit court, 1 D.Ct (though it might be worth noting that I accepted my offers before many courts made decisions)
Offers: 1 State Sup. Ct. (2013-14), 1 Circuit Ct. (2014-2015). Both accepted (obviously).

Did you have profs making calls for you? If so, how many/are they particularly well-known or connected?

I had a recommendation from a federal district court judge and also from a very well known prof who is personal friends with the COA judge who hired me. I'm sure both helped a lot, but I am still pretty stunned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Re D.Del: Robinson is now done. Sleet's been done. Haven't heard anything about Stark or Andrews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 pm

any news on Newman from 2nd?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As for D. del, i know someone that interviewed there and hasnt heard back also. Hopefully it's the same judge and you both still have a shot.

Anyone heard from O'grady in EDVA?

He hired at least 1 person from H for 2013.

He's done hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Bankruptcy Judges who interview in October/November?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am

Random question. I had a phone interview with a judge for about 45 minutes that I didn't realize was a "first round" since it was so long. I asked all my best questions about the clerkship over the phone. I have my in-person interview coming up, and I wondered if anyone had tips on how to prepare. I'm nervous since I can't ask my prepared questions and I already spoke about myself quite a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Has anyone heard anything applying for 2014-15 or later?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random question. I had a phone interview with a judge for about 45 minutes that I didn't realize was a "first round" since it was so long. I asked all my best questions about the clerkship over the phone. I have my in-person interview coming up, and I wondered if anyone had tips on how to prepare. I'm nervous since I can't ask my prepared questions and I already spoke about myself quite a bit.

This is kind of a strange situation to be in. I'd just ask about things not necessarily related to the clerkship. If it's not one of the major districts maybe ask about what it's like to live there etc. Since most in-person interviews are about fit and they know you've already asked a ton of substantive questions it should be fine.

ClerkAnon

Postby ClerkAnon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random question. I had a phone interview with a judge for about 45 minutes that I didn't realize was a "first round" since it was so long. I asked all my best questions about the clerkship over the phone. I have my in-person interview coming up, and I wondered if anyone had tips on how to prepare. I'm nervous since I can't ask my prepared questions and I already spoke about myself quite a bit.

To the extent you can answer this without outing yourself, what types of questions did you ask over the phone? It would be easier to suggest additional questions (or lines of questioning) if I knew what ground you had already covered. Same for what you did to sell yourself already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Bankruptcy Judges who interview in October/November?

Just got an interview yesterday in the southeastern region.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Bankruptcy Judges who interview in October/November?

Just got an interview yesterday in the southeastern region.

Congrats! Can you narrow this at all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 pm

GA/FL/AL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GA/FL/AL.

Thanks! Kill it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 pm

ClerkAnon wrote:

To the extent you can answer this without outing yourself, what types of questions did you ask over the phone? It would be easier to suggest additional questions (or lines of questioning) if I knew what ground you had already covered. Same for what you did to sell yourself already.

Thanks for your response and willingness to help. I was the original poster. I did my best, and left feeling positive. Should find out in a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Question about judges who hire alums:

Do these judges follow any kind of schedule or do they hire whenever they want on a rolling basis? I'm a first-year associate at a V20 who struck out as a 2L/3L and I'm wondering when judges will start hiring clerks again because this time of year seems pretty quiet for clerkship hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question about judges who hire alums:

Do these judges follow any kind of schedule or do they hire whenever they want on a rolling basis? I'm a first-year associate at a V20 who struck out as a 2L/3L and I'm wondering when judges will start hiring clerks again because this time of year seems pretty quiet for clerkship hiring.

bumping

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am

It will certainly vary from judge to judge, but I would say that in general, judges who hire alums will start looking at those apps in the spring before traditional 3L "on plan" hiring. This makes sense, as a judge can evaluate apps at a more leisurely pace, yet he also does not want to start the process too early, as a winter time line would be coming not too long after the rush of the previous cycle. As for my evidence:

1. When I was a 3L looking at OSCAR listings, most judges who solicited alum apps seemed to start taking then around March, April, or May.

2. I applied for and landed a clerkship as an alum. Sent my apps out in March, had interview offers for May and June.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question about judges who hire alums:

bumping

I was hired as an alumni and I got the impression that judges started looking at apps in early Spring (I tracked announcements starting in November after graduation). I saw a lot of judges post announcments during early spring and I submitted as they showed up. I think this will vary greatly depending on the court and the judge. Best bet is to setup an alert on Oscar and to apply as they arrive.

Edit: my experience mirrored the poster above.

ClerkAnon

Postby ClerkAnon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

I had the same experience with my COA applications as an alum - which were exclusively to the Ninth Circuit - as the two previous posters. I applied in early May, and I received interview calls from late May through September; my last call was on the first day of the LCHP. I've said before that if I had to do it again, I'd apply in March or April, since a few judges on the Ninth interviewed even earlier and were full (or close) by the time I sent my applications out. I think that the previous anon's suggestion of an OSCAR alert is a great one for any judges who indicate that they are reviewing applications prior to March 2013. But I'd advise sending out all remaining applications in March-April 2013 - except to judges who specifically indicate that they prefer later applications. This is so that you don't lose out with any judges who might be quietly reviewing early-received applications, but have not made their practice known on OSCAR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:48 pm

0/5 on interviews (long shots from the start) and scraping the barrel for the next few months to keep bills paid. I wish these judges would be a little more selective before they gave out interviews to broke/hopeful law students.

/rant

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I sent in my resume/transcript to a judge, and he/she wants me to send in a writing sample, preferring my law review writing competition piece. Although I made law review, I think I probably graded on. Not quite sure how good the piece is really, and since I spent less than a week on it, it's not super polished (certainly nothing I would really want to send in for a job application). What should I do? They want a writing sample soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm

hilarious rejection email from Browning, extolling the virtues of the two people he decided to hire. I'm not sure what the purpose is other than to rub your nose in the fact that two other applicants were so much better than you, read their many accomplishments!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hilarious rejection email from Browning, extolling the virtues of the two people he decided to hire. I'm not sure what the purpose is other than to rub your nose in the fact that two other applicants were so much better than you, read their many accomplishments!

That shit was crazy. Best part is how not terribly impressive the candidates are. Or at least not impressive enough to be worth bragging about. No Rhode scholars here.

I really enjoyed the CALI awards in silly classes. That was the best.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hilarious rejection email from Browning, extolling the virtues of the two people he decided to hire. I'm not sure what the purpose is other than to rub your nose in the fact that two other applicants were so much better than you, read their many accomplishments!

That shit was crazy. Best part is how not terribly impressive the candidates are. Or at least not impressive enough to be worth bragging about. No Rhode scholars here.

I really enjoyed the CALI awards in silly classes. That was the best.

Can someone please redact and post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:03 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
Can someone please redact and post.

Thank you for your application, blah blah difficult choice.

I first decided to hire Applicant A. A is a 3L at a non-ranked (out of state?) law school. She had a board position that doesn't exist on most law reviews, and is in the top 10% of her class. She recieved a scholarship from her school. She went to an UG most people haven't heard of, where she got her degree in Communications and had decent grades. She worked at a local law firm last summer and wants to stay in town post graduation.

My most recent selection is Applicant B, who is a 3L at the local (possibly unranked?) school and is in the top x% (where x is single digit) of her class. She recieved CALI awards in non-doctrinal classes that sound half a step away from law & ____. Her case note is also being published in her school's journal, and she submitted another paper to be published. She has a BA and an MA in criminal justice from the local state school. She spent last summer at a local law firm and hopes to go into civil defense after clerking.

Empty platitudes,

Judge

Return to “Legal Employment”