2012 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:The EDNY and SDNY courthouses are like 2-3 miles away from one another
Right, but the whole point of the SDNY, or so I thought, was that big firms file securities cases there. The EDNY seems completely different. What distinguishes it from D. Conn. and D.N.J. Brooklyn seems like it wouldn't be the venue for anywhere near the type of high profile cases that SDNY gets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:19 am

Historically a very important venue for mafia trials and continues to carry a heavy drugs docket because of JFK and LGA.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 pm

EDNY also pulls in lots of LI-based white collar litigation, which can get crazy (Brooks is a notable one).

The answer to this rankings question, however, is: the best you can get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Historically a very important venue for mafia trials and continues to carry a heavy drugs docket because of JFK and LGA.
Also major terrorism cases, e.g., Najibullah Zazi, JFK airport plot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Historically a very important venue for mafia trials and continues to carry a heavy drugs docket because of JFK and LGA.
Also major terrorism cases, e.g., Najibullah Zazi, JFK airport plot.
And keep in mind that the EDNY has many extremely good judges who are very well respected. Weinstein, Gleeson, Raggi (now on 2d Cir.) come to mind, along with Glasser, Amon and Korman. Bianco is probably heading towards the 2d Cir. too, especially if the next president is a republican. Is also a great district to clerk in if you want to be an AUSA because of the caseload and the face that many (even most?) judges are former US Attys or AUSAs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Where can I find email information for judges, or their secretaries? I can't sign up for OSCAR yet apparently as I am class of 2014.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm

There's a thing called the Judicial Yellow Book that your career office probably has available. Otherwise, some judges on some courts list a generic chambers e-mail on their web site, but generally individual staff e-mails aren't available on the web. You could call each chambers and ask where to send applications (assuming that's why you want the info). You might get told that they only accept paper or they only accept through OSCAR, though.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where can I find email information for judges, or their secretaries? I can't sign up for OSCAR yet apparently as I am class of 2014.
You can also create a dummy account -- use a different name and email address, and say you're from the class of 2013. You obviously wouldn't want to send any applications via this account, but you can search judge info.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where can I find email information for judges, or their secretaries? I can't sign up for OSCAR yet apparently as I am class of 2014.
You can also create a dummy account -- use a different name and email address, and say you're from the class of 2013. You obviously wouldn't want to send any applications via this account, but you can search judge info.
Though I'm pretty sure the only OSCAR listings that include e-mail info are positions with judges who are currently accepting applications and say they'll take e-mail applications, which isn't many. (Unless there's some other part of OSCAR that lists this kind of information that I'm unaware of, which may well be - OSCAR generally baffles me.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Anyone else had radio silence since they accepted over the phone with their judge? No letter, paperwork from hr, email etc. kinda weird. Guess the judge just remembers and they email you later next year close to starting time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had radio silence since they accepted over the phone with their judge? No letter, paperwork from hr, email etc. kinda weird. Guess the judge just remembers and they email you later next year close to starting time?
That's pretty normal - generally you're not going to hear anything from them again for a while. You don't get paperwork from HR until a month or so before you start. I know someone who went out to dinner with their judge in Dec or Jan when the judge was in town, but I didn't hear anything between getting hired and a couple months before, and even then it was when I contacted them to get an offer letter, so I had proof of employment/income to show apartment buildings. (I did talk with my predecessor via e-mail around March or April to confirm the starting date, but that's about it.) They're not going to forget. But there really isn't anything much you have to do before you start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had radio silence since they accepted over the phone with their judge? No letter, paperwork from hr, email etc. kinda weird. Guess the judge just remembers and they email you later next year close to starting time?
I didn't have to do anything until the day I showed up. Met with the judge during my spring break just cuz I was visiting the city to check neighborhoods to live in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know when the courts of appeal interview for staff attorney positions? Particularly 3rd circuit
This week, apparently. At least for 3rd Cir.

Any one have thoughts on how worthwhile these positions are in terms of experience, help with later government or fancy public interest positions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

If you're applying for a clerkship should you send your application materials directly to the judge? (that's the email listed in the Judicial Yellow Book). Or should I find out the chambers/clerk email address?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Anyone have any thoughts as to the etiquette of calling a judge's chambers to ensure an application was received sent via e-mail or OSCAR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're applying for a clerkship should you send your application materials directly to the judge? (that's the email listed in the Judicial Yellow Book). Or should I find out the chambers/clerk email address?
I wouldn't send it directly to the judge, but that's because I know my judge and his/her abilities with the computer, which are...not stellar. If the judge asked you to apply, sure, send it directly to them, but otherwise, I'd call the chambers and ask where to send it. (It may just have been where I applied, but I didn't come across many judges that took e-mail applications.)

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am

Senate moved on some of the nominees. Paul Grimm (D-Maryland), Michael P. Shea (D-Conn), Mark E. Walker (ND Fla.), and Terrence G. Berg (E.D. Mich.) were all confirmed within the past 10 days. If you're still really interested in clerking, I'd do some hustling and look for some sort of connection to these individuals or, at the very least, send your materials in.

Someone will probably ask where to send them. I don't know and until that judge actually moves into chambers (not for 30-90 days, likely) there won't be a set place. But that doesn't mean you can't hunt down some way to get the materials to the judges; look at former firms/offices they've been in and contact to see if there is a way to forward the materials.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”