So...which firm should I go with? (Mbnk, Skdn, PW, Prsk, AP)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So...which firm should I go with? (Mbnk, Skdn, PW, Prsk, AP)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I received an offer from Milbank Tweed for next summer. I had originally scheduled 11 call backs but have canceled the firms that were lower on my list than Milbank. The firms that remain are: Proskauer Rose, Paul Weiss, Arnold and Porter, and Skadden. I've completed the call backs at Proskauer and Paul Weiss. Have A&P and Skadden over the next two weeks.

I know I will not receive offers from all of these firms. Hell, there's a strong possibility I only receive a Milbank offer. BUT, assuming I were to get an offer from all of these, where should I work? I guess I'm asking for a general ranking of all of these firms, which I can then refer to if any other offers come in.

Also, leaning pretty heavily towards litigation, but I definitely want to see some transactional/corporate work over the summer. If I were to go the trans/corp route, it'd most likely be in M&A or Corp Restructuring/Bankruptcy/Leveraged Finance.

Thanks in advance.

Arbiter213

Re: So...which firm should I go with? (Mbnk, Skdn, PW, Prsk, AP)

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Wouldn't Skadden or Paul Weiss be the obvious choices for litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for the response. From what I've seen they seem to be the best on the litigation side.

I guess because I'm not 100% sure I want to go into litigation, I'm having an idea of hedging a little bit. Though, even in the situation it seems that Skadden and PW are best at both litigation and M&A (if I decide to go into corp/trans).

Also wanted to know if anyone had any experience in terms of feel/culture? For example, my call back at Proskauer was so much different than the other three. Just got a great vibe at the place, was wondering if anyone can share experiences (bad or good) at any of the firms.

Proskauer also has a really good entertainment/IP practice, which I am considering. But, I guess the question I'm asking is whether things like that should be guiding my decision when I'm not really decided on either lit/corp or a specific practice area/group on either the lit/corp side? In a similar vein, should this be a gut decision or should I go to the best firm? Will it really matter if I go to Proskauer/Milbank verse Paul Weiss/Skadden?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will it really matter if I go to Proskauer/Milbank verse Paul Weiss/Skadden?

Yes. To be perfectly honest, regardless of what you're interested in, if you get PW / Skadden you should go to one of those over Milbank / Proskauer. The latter are good firms to be sure, but there's a tangible difference in perception / options between the two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm a first-year associate at Paul Weiss and I'm VERY happy. I can't speak for the culture of the NY office since I work in DC, but I've gotten to work on several jury trials already (two of which went all the way to verdict). As a previous commenter has said, it's a fantastic place to litigate.

ETA: The difference between a Proskauer/Milbank and a PW/Skadden, IMO, is that a place like PW is the place that clients go once they realize their matter is actually going to go to trial. Working at a less notable litigation firm means that you will work on a lot of matters that get yanked away from your firm once it becomes clear the case is not going to settle. You'll get experience with discovery and 12(b)(6)/56 motion practice, but not so much with trial work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Similar to OP's but with Quinn Emanuel added to the mix. Thoughts? Is Quinn Emanuel closer to proskauer/Milbank or skadden/PW for litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for the responses, especially the PW associate. The settle/trial distinction is quite helpful.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Similar to OP's but with Quinn Emanuel added to the mix. Thoughts? Is Quinn Emanuel closer to proskauer/Milbank or skadden/PW for litigation?

Quinn is... Quinn. If you want to work at Quinn, you will know you want to work at Quinn. If you want somebody to 'bless' choosing Quinn over a "better" firm, you have my blessing. If you like Quinn and want to do lit, there's really no other big brand name firm that should pull you away from your dreams of flip flopps and misspelled mass emails.

OP: Gun for Skadden or Paul Weiss. Just million little reasons ranging from exit options to financial health to quality of work. If you really love a firm with a lesser reputation, you probably won't regret choosing it over an offer from Skadden or PW - but all else being equal, those two firms should head up your list.

Go forth and get offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar to OP's but with Quinn Emanuel added to the mix. Thoughts? Is Quinn Emanuel closer to proskauer/Milbank or skadden/PW for litigation?

Quinn is... Quinn. If you want to work at Quinn, you will know you want to work at Quinn. If you want somebody to 'bless' choosing Quinn over a "better" firm, you have my blessing. If you like Quinn and want to do lit, there's really no other big brand name firm that should pull you away from your dreams of flip flopps and misspelled mass emails.

(PW associate anon here.) Well said. Was trying to think of a way to properly phrase my advice re: Quinn and I think this right on the nose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Ok, just an update here. Currently have offers at Milbank, Proskauer, and Arnold and Porter (NY office).

Haven't heard from PW, but some of my classmates have, so I don't think that will pan out. Have Skadden next week.

Assuming I get dinged from PW and Skadden, then what are the thoughts on Milbank, Proskauer, or Arnold and Porter?

Thanks in advance.

ctadash

Postby ctadash » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 pm

If you are a dick, you should go to Milbank.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a dick, you should go to Milbank.

At first I was concerned for you, because this looks like some pretty sensitive personal information to be posting. But then I saw it was anon, and I was relieved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 pm

The main reason to pick Milbank would be because of its structured finance practice or Proskauer because of its labor practice or entertainment/sports practice. A&P NY I don't know enough about, but from your choices, Skadden and PW will give you the most interesting work in general lit and M&A, greatest financial stability and best exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first-year associate at Paul Weiss and I'm VERY happy. I can't speak for the culture of the NY office since I work in DC, but I've gotten to work on several jury trials already (two of which went all the way to verdict). As a previous commenter has said, it's a fantastic place to litigate.

ETA: The difference between a Proskauer/Milbank and a PW/Skadden, IMO, is that a place like PW is the place that clients go once they realize their matter is actually going to go to trial. Working at a less notable litigation firm means that you will work on a lot of matters that get yanked away from your firm once it becomes clear the case is not going to settle. You'll get experience with discovery and 12(b)(6)/56 motion practice, but not so much with trial work.

Different Paul, Weiss associate here. I'd like to echo these comments. My experience has been great at Paul, Weiss. I don't have a great basis for comparing Paul, Weiss to the other firms list, but I'm truly happy here and have few, if any, complaints about the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

(PW associate anon here.) Well said. Was trying to think of a way to properly phrase my advice re: Quinn and I think this right on the nose.

If you think you want Quinn and it turns out you were a Skadden person, what happens later? Are lateral options from a place like Quinn or Boies to Skadden, PW etc. significantly different than the other way around? (Trying to choose between two of these firms now for litigation.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

If you think you want Quinn and it turns out you were a Skadden person, what happens later? Are lateral options from a place like Quinn or Boies to Skadden, PW etc. significantly different than the other way around? (Trying to choose between two of these firms now for litigation.)

Not sure which way is easier, but keep in mind that it will be difficult to lateral until you're at least a third year. As an FYI, I'm a junior associate at Paul, Weiss, and chose PW over Boies.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote: As an FYI, I'm a junior associate at Paul, Weiss, and chose PW over Boies.

Would love an explanation of your reasoning on that, completely disinterested party here. Already turned down PW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: As an FYI, I'm a junior associate at Paul, Weiss, and chose PW over Boies.

Would love an explanation of your reasoning on that, completely disinterested party here. Already turned down PW.

Based on my conversations with people who summered at Boies and other peer firms (S&C, DPW, and PW), it seems that there is a different culture at hours based firms. The office seemed as though it was a very closed door, not terribly social environment. This was more or less confirmed by my interviews. I think different types of people thrive in hours based firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:52 pm

I'd go with Paul Weiss. Out of these four firms, they are the coolest bunch of people I've come across.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 pm

For the person with the milbank offer, how long was the turnaround between the CB and offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 pm

OP here

Did a call back with Milbank on Monday, got a phone call on Friday notifying me of the offer. Received the offer letter via email about half a week later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm

OP here...

Just received a screening interview with Kirkland and Ellis. If I get a call back and then an offer from them, where do they rank on this list? Is it just as simple as following Vault (second behind Skadden)?

As of now, I'm thinking I'll have to go Skadden (or possibly K&E?) if I get an offer. If not, then leaning towards Proskauer. Thanks for all the help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Skadden, K&E, and Paul Weiss are a cut above the rest. With those three, go with your gut, though if you think you might end up doing corp, cut Paul Weiss.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 pm

PW has been aggressively growing their corporate department. No longer a slam dunk to avoid PW for corporate, as might have been the case as recently has two or three years ago.

Return to “Legal Employment”