Davis Polk

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Any one knows their offer rate this summer?? Thnx!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I have heard 100%, but they don't generally publicize it. For as long as anybody can remember, DPW has done 100% offers with cold offers only for egregious fuckups.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I summered there this summer, as AFAIK we had offers for everyone. Champagne at a little party for everyone on the last day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Anyone know their callback:offer rate? I heard it was low relative to other firms

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know their callback:offer rate? I heard it was low relative to other firms


Depends on the school and year, I'm sure. At CLS, it was 40% last year and the year before. So far, the screener to callback ratio has upheld like in years past.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know their callback:offer rate? I heard it was low relative to other firms


Depends on the school and year, I'm sure. At CLS, it was 40% last year and the year before. So far, the screener to callback ratio has upheld like in years past.


Not sure your source, but in 2010 it was closer to 25%. I would assume similar numbers for 2011 and 2012; maybe 2011 EIP was a little higher.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.



Weird. I have the same (from last year) and am seeing 29 offers for 109 CBs for 2010. Whatever.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.


The numbers for 2011 EIP are:

204 bids
219 interviews
99 callbacks extended
96 callbacks accepted
43 extended offers.

43/99 = roughly 40%

I asked the number of CLS CB'd from EIP and the associate director recruiter estimated the same number as last year, which was 99.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.


The numbers for 2011 EIP are:

204 bids
219 interviews
99 callbacks extended
96 callbacks accepted
43 extended offers.

43/99 = roughly 40%

I asked the number of CLS CB'd from EIP and the associate director recruiter estimated the same number as last year, which was 99.


Re-read my previous posts, please, and realize that I was referring to 2010 (and that I admitted that 2011 was probably higher).

Also, the class size will be smaller this year; I'd bet that the 40% rate for 2011 won't carry over.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.


The numbers for 2011 EIP are:

204 bids
219 interviews
99 callbacks extended
96 callbacks accepted
43 extended offers.

43/99 = roughly 40%

I asked the number of CLS CB'd from EIP and the associate director recruiter estimated the same number as last year, which was 99.


Re-read my previous posts, please, and realize that I was referring to 2010 (and that I admitted that 2011 was probably higher).

Also, the class size will be smaller this year; I'd bet that the 40% rate for 2011 won't carry over.


2011 wasn't "a little higher." it was twice the 2010 one.

Also, I disagree. 2010 was an awful year across all firms. Cravath even went down to 20 SAs that summer. If you look at DPW's NALP number of SAs, you'll see that there was a significant dip in 2010. 2012 is closer to 2011 than 2010. Most places have admitted that this years class will be comparable to 2011. NOt sure what sources you have to justify the fact that this years class will be smaller.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.


The numbers for 2011 EIP are:

204 bids
219 interviews
99 callbacks extended
96 callbacks accepted
43 extended offers.

43/99 = roughly 40%

I asked the number of CLS CB'd from EIP and the associate director recruiter estimated the same number as last year, which was 99.


Re-read my previous posts, please, and realize that I was referring to 2010 (and that I admitted that 2011 was probably higher).

Also, the class size will be smaller this year; I'd bet that the 40% rate for 2011 won't carry over.


2011 wasn't "a little higher." it was twice the 2010 one.

Also, I disagree. 2010 was an awful year across all firms. Cravath even went down to 20 SAs that summer. If you look at DPW's NALP number of SAs, you'll see that there was a significant dip in 2010. 2012 is closer to 2011 than 2010. Most places have admitted that this years class will be comparable to 2011. NOt sure what sources you have to justify the fact that this years class will be smaller.



My source would be the Managing Partner of the firm. But whatever, I'm finished here. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My source would be the Managing Partner of the firm. But whatever, I'm finished here. Good luck.


LOL. Great use of a drama bomb.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sources are the excel sheets that are posted on our EIP website by OCS.


The numbers for 2011 EIP are:

204 bids
219 interviews
99 callbacks extended
96 callbacks accepted
43 extended offers.

43/99 = roughly 40%

I asked the number of CLS CB'd from EIP and the associate director recruiter estimated the same number as last year, which was 99.


Re-read my previous posts, please, and realize that I was referring to 2010 (and that I admitted that 2011 was probably higher).

Also, the class size will be smaller this year; I'd bet that the 40% rate for 2011 won't carry over.


2011 wasn't "a little higher." it was twice the 2010 one.

Also, I disagree. 2010 was an awful year across all firms. Cravath even went down to 20 SAs that summer. If you look at DPW's NALP number of SAs, you'll see that there was a significant dip in 2010. 2012 is closer to 2011 than 2010. Most places have admitted that this years class will be comparable to 2011. NOt sure what sources you have to justify the fact that this years class will be smaller.


DPW almost certainly had a higher than expected yield this year, hence the 130+ summers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 am

My source would be the Managing Partner of the firm. But whatever, I'm finished here. Good luck.


Yeah, basically more people accepted summer offers than they planned and the class was over-enrolled. They plan to shoot for a slightly smaller class next year to balance out (but probably still 100+ I'd guess)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am

yeah, giving up all hope at getting a davis offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 pm

anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.


99.99% sure DPW never checked my grades after 1L year, and their offer rate is like 110% or something silly like that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.


99.99% sure DPW never checked my grades after 1L year, and their offer rate is like 110% or something silly like that.


Another DPW 2012 Summer here. Second this post on all counts. Don't stress about your grades, look forward to this summer, do good work, and have a great time!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.


99.99% sure DPW never checked my grades after 1L year, and their offer rate is like 110% or something silly like that.


Another DPW 2012 Summer here. Second this post on all counts. Don't stress about your grades, look forward to this summer, do good work, and have a great time!

Thank you guys, seriously. Another future summer here with bad fall semester grades, was about to kill myself with spring semester gunning. Did they ask for your transcripts, though?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.


99.99% sure DPW never checked my grades after 1L year, and their offer rate is like 110% or something silly like that.


Another DPW 2012 Summer here. Second this post on all counts. Don't stress about your grades, look forward to this summer, do good work, and have a great time!

Thank you guys, seriously. Another future summer here with bad fall semester grades, was about to kill myself with spring semester gunning. Did they ask for your transcripts, though?


They make you sign a waiver that gives them the right to request transcripts from your school. It's unclear whether or not they actually end up doing it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone who summered at DPW knows their summer offer rate last year? My grades were really bad for 2L fall, wonder how that will affect my permanent offer.


99.99% sure DPW never checked my grades after 1L year, and their offer rate is like 110% or something silly like that.


Another DPW 2012 Summer here. Second this post on all counts. Don't stress about your grades, look forward to this summer, do good work, and have a great time!

Thank you guys, seriously. Another future summer here with bad fall semester grades, was about to kill myself with spring semester gunning. Did they ask for your transcripts, though?


Stop worrying about it. I think they get the waiver so they can make sure you actually graduated from law school. I don't think they care if you dropped from an A- average to a B+ average or whatever.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Davis Polk

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 pm

DPW cares a lot more about fit and culture after some base level of brains/pedigree than they do about grades in the first place. The firm has tons of law school super stars but also tons of people who are otherwise smart, fit in well with the culture, went to good schools, and have "meh" grades.

Basically take the way S&C does recruiting, then do the opposite, and you have how DPW does recruiting.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.