Questions about offer letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions about offer letter

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 am

Got an offer letter from a mid sized boutique, no starting date is specified in the letter, no exact salary amount stated, it just says " will be competitive"....

Is this normal??? Should I push for more specific salary or starting date?

Anonymous User

Re: Questions about offer letter

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer letter from a mid sized boutique, no starting date is specified in the letter, no exact salary amount stated, it just says " will be competitive"....

It's strange that you got an offer letter without any detail. I worked at a boutique this summer that I knew paid market, but no one ever specifically told me that. They never gave me a formal offer letter. I had to follow up to confirm salary. I also did not get a start date, but was told that I could start whenever was convenient for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer letter from a mid sized boutique, no starting date is specified in the letter, no exact salary amount stated, it just says " will be competitive"....

It's strange that you got an offer letter without any detail. I worked at a boutique this summer that I knew paid market, but no one ever specifically told me that. They never gave me a formal offer letter. I had to follow up to confirm salary. I also did not get a start date, but was told that I could start whenever was convenient for me.

They did say their current new associate salary as a reference.. I am feeling strange too...this offer letter is nothing I have expected...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They did say their current new associate salary as a reference.. I am feeling strange too...this offer letter is nothing I have expected...

When I asked about pay they confirmed that it was a prorated new associate salary.

Return to “Legal Employment”