Think I am gonna strike out--what next?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Think I am gonna strike out--what next?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Top 25%/secondary at Fordham, have 11 interviews, 5 down, 6 left, but think I am probably going to strike out. Most of my interviews were preselects at large firms (think Cadwalader, Chadbourne, Cahill, Clifford) and I just don't see myself getting an offer over, say, top 10% LR people.

I have not mass mailed to date. I need advice for the appropriate game plan.

Should I mass mail firms I did not bid on at all? Should I apply directly to firms that are coming later to the fall weeks 1-8 to increase my chance of getting an interview (or will this just be annoying)? Should I mass mail firms that don't even seem to have a summer program?

I don't have a secondary market. Thanks.

thesealocust

Re: Think I am gonna strike out--what next?

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Mass mail all of the firms. Focus first on firms that weren't at your OCI, as at least some of them are likely to take a dubious view towards somebody trying to apply outside of that system.

If a firm doesn't look like it has a summer program, you should apply for it anyway.

What., precisely, do you have to lose?

Don't wait. Get a dozen done tonight, double it tomorrow. You're in a narrow - and closing - window where job applications will be like 10x more likely to succeed than they ever will again. This is hiring season.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests :cry:

(Top 20%, 15 screeners, no CBs yet)

I sent out 170 mass mails in late July and so far got 5 screeners from it, no signs of a CB on the horizon though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:17 pm

OP here: thank you, sealocust.

Another question: I used to work at a finance firm that gave A LOT of business to a firm that isn't a reach for me. I did not get an interview with the firm through OCI, because we mostly did business with the Boston office. What is the best way of trying to work this connection? It is a small firm without a very recognizable name (not goldman or anything, lol). I'd feel like some asshat if I just e-mailed the recruiting person directly, mentioned it, and then dropped my PDF of materials off. Any ideas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Did you get any callbacks yet from the 5 interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:15 am

Nope. I only had one interview on Wednesday that I won't be hearing from because it was a firm way out of my league, two on Thurs, and two on Friday. If I don't hear back from them by Monday I will probably write them off.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: thank you, sealocust.

Another question: I used to work at a finance firm that gave A LOT of business to a firm that isn't a reach for me. I did not get an interview with the firm through OCI, because we mostly did business with the Boston office. What is the best way of trying to work this connection? It is a small firm without a very recognizable name (not goldman or anything, lol). I'd feel like some asshat if I just e-mailed the recruiting person directly, mentioned it, and then dropped my PDF of materials off. Any ideas?

Did your old boss have anything to do with deciding to work with that firm? If so, just mention to him that you're applying there.

Otherwise, name-dropping shouldn't be too very awkward. Just say you are interested because your former employer held them in such high esteem, and that you know they're tops in exactly the sort of work you're interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

just wondering- what makes you think that you will strike out? you dont think youll get any cbs or just worried you wont get an offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”