What are hospitality suites going to be like? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are hospitality suites going to be like?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm imagining jabba the hutt in his palace, surrounded by schmoozing gunners with pad-folios.

Will they be empty, crammed, awkward, worth checking out?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: What are hospitality suites going to be like?

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm

The jabba thing basically.

You'll get handouts and thumb drives and awkward conversations galore. Not much else to say on the subject.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm imagining jabba the hutt in his palace, surrounded by schmoozing gunners with pad-folios.

Will they be empty, crammed, awkward, worth checking out?

Some will be VERY helpful. I recommend going before your interview and getting a lot of useful information about the firm out of the associates/summers that will be staffing the place.

Others will be fairly boring. You might make awkward conversation with the recruiter (who will likely be able to tell you next to nothing about the firm) but you won't really get anything substantive.

Many will be somewhere in between.

Substantively, it's usually 1-2 associates along with a recruiter answering questions about the firm. There's usually tons of food that they are more than willing to part with.

TL;DR: Try to find the interesting associates, acquire swag.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 pm

They'll also gladly take your resume if you aren't interviewing with them, though I'm about 99% certain they just toss the stack of resumes on the way out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:53 pm

tedalbany wrote:They'll also gladly take your resume if you aren't interviewing with them, though I'm about 99% certain they just toss the stack of resumes on the way out.
Yep. Some will not even pretend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

tedalbany wrote:They'll also gladly take your resume if you aren't interviewing with them, though I'm about 99% certain they just toss the stack of resumes on the way out.
You would be surprised. I am a 3L and worked the hospitality suite for my firm, along with 3 associates (as well as recruiting folks). For each student who dropped a resume and chatted with us, we were instructed to jot down notes on the back after the student had left, along with any thoughts and recommendations regarding the student. We were all told that we could go so far as to explicitly recommend that the student receive a call from us. In other words, the students dropping their resumes and chatting with us were unknowingly going through a quasi-screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You would be surprised. I am a 3L and worked the hospitality suite for my firm, along with 3 associates (as well as recruiting folks). For each student who dropped a resume and chatted with us, we were instructed to jot down notes on the back after the student had left, along with any thoughts and recommendations regarding the student. We were all told that we could go so far as to explicitly recommend that the student receive a call from us. In other words, the students dropping their resumes and chatting with us were unknowingly going through a quasi-screener.

Do you know if it actually matters whether you stopped by if you had a screener? Do they keep a list or anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know if it actually matters whether you stopped by if you had a screener? Do they keep a list or anything?
No, for the students who actually had scheduled screeners, we aren't the ones who are supposed to evaluate, so we didn't keep tabs in any way. For those students, its really just about giving them information, chatting for fun, getting them something to eat, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 pm

On the other hand, I got callbacks with two top firms after stopping by their hospitality suites, talking with associates for a few minutes, and dropping off my materials. I wasn't able to get a screener with either firm through our lottery, but I'm fairly sure the short conversations served the same purpose. Similar thing happened with a third firm - they were adding screeners during lunch and at the end of the day, filling them with people who came to the suite to drop off a resume and chat. I went to a whole bunch that never amounted to anything, but overall I think it's worth it to make the effort to stop by if you have any interest in the firm - you never know what might happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
On the other hand, I got callbacks with two top firms after stopping by their hospitality suites, talking with associates for a few minutes, and dropping off my materials. I wasn't able to get a screener with either firm through our lottery, but I'm fairly sure the short conversations served the same purpose. Similar thing happened with a third firm - they were adding screeners during lunch and at the end of the day, filling them with people who came to the suite to drop off a resume and chat. I went to a whole bunch that never amounted to anything, but overall I think it's worth it to make the effort to stop by if you have any interest in the firm - you never know what might happen.
Yeah I guess it varies by firm. Some seemed uninterested about the whole thing ("Yeah if you bid on us they prob already have your resume"), most were "Sure we'll pass it along"... but there were the occasional ones where it seemed like it could legitimately lead to something ("Good GPA and you seem cool, I'll try to get you in").

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Were you competitive for these firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you competitive for these firms?
For one, yes. The other was a V5, and while my grades are decent, I didn't think they were good enough to land a cb there. I figure I must have met the cutoff, but after that it probably had more to do with being able to have a normal conversation and showing my interest in the firm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 pm

FYI, some firms absolutely keep records about who stops by. I've seen checklists of the candidates a firm was interviewing.

Not sure how many, but it happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”