Silence after Screeners

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Silence after Screeners

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Im sure this topic has been written to death but I couldn't really find a good consensus. I was wondering what silence after these screener interviews means? I go to GULC and have 1 callback, 5 dings, and 21 silence. Please don't tell me to keep applying and it is irrelevant. I understand this but I am going crazy anyways. Just curious on what you guys think it really means.

Re: Silence after Screeners

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im sure this topic has been written to death but I couldn't really find a good consensus. I was wondering what silence after these screener interviews means? I go to GULC and have 1 callback, 5 dings, and 21 silence. Please don't tell me to keep applying and it is irrelevant. I understand this but I am going crazy anyways. Just curious on what you guys think it really means.

Most of those 21 are going to be a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 pm

analysis? if it was a ding then why wouldnt they have dinged me right away with others? that makes me think it was at least a maybe pile.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:analysis? if it was a ding then why wouldnt they have dinged me right away with others? that makes me think it was at least a maybe pile.

Some might be dinging you by mail, which takes longer. Others might be putting you in a "maybe" pile while they interview more candidates, but it's usually not a good sign when they are on the fence like that. For secondary markets the hiring committee sometimes just takes a while to get together, so if you've applied to firms outside of NYC and DC then don't stress about it yet. Until you get the ding, hold on to some hope, but realistically as time passes your odds get worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:53 pm

In major markets like NYC, there doesn't seem to be a "maybe" pile at the screener stage.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I am at GULC and in a very similar position. I think the silence is more of a forgotten silence. I noticed a handful of firms have 0 action yet, but for the ones that have done CBs and e-mail dings, I'm starting to think I was just a forgotten ding.

Not to be pessimistic or anything...

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

So what's the conventional wisdom on how long until "silence" becomes "ding"? E.g., I had 8 screeners for Chicago and DC this past week and have heard nothing from any of them. When can I just write them off?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:49 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:So what's the conventional wisdom on how long until "silence" becomes "ding"? E.g., I had 8 screeners for Chicago and DC this past week and have heard nothing from any of them. When can I just write them off?

The third week is the cutoff I've heard thrown around. The first week after your interview= prime callback time. The second week after your interview= CB still a solid possibility. The third week= send them a followup email just in case, but chances are no dice for callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah I didn't bid DC at all and bid about 8 NY. Mostly secondary markets with solid ties so thats reassuring i guess. Okay, so next week will be the big week then?. I just hate the waiting and I spend so much time stressing about the one callback that I do have. I would like it to become an offer so I can stop worrying so much.

Return to “Legal Employment”