Serious post-OCI advice needed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Serious post-OCI advice needed

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 pm

So, it's looking like I struck out at UCLA's OCI. Grades are just below median. Several years of strong work experience (which just about every interviewer commented on), but apparently that means nothing in this ridiculous game. I've started direct applications and a list of around 200 additional firms that I'll be sending materials out to in the next week or so, but it's time consuming to tailor these cover letters.

I know in the past 2Ls in my position didn't land anything for a while and when they did, the job wouldn't necessarily lead to a full-time gig. The thought of taking a temporary summer "internship" at this stage of my career makes me want to vomit.

As for classes, I am lightening my class schedule this fall to give myself more time to (a) send direct applications and (b) attempt to bring the overall GPA up.

Would love to hear additional thoughts on what my gameplan needs to be going forward.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Serious post-OCI advice needed

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Apply to every employer in Los Angeles and wherever it is that you are from. For clarification, that includes firms with less than 10 attorneys and city government. Also, apply to employers in small cities in CA as well.

It's difficult to give better advice without knowing where you are from and what you experience is in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Is there any sense in direct applying to out-of-state/non-LA BigLaw offices?

Originally from NY and my work experience is all IP-related, but I don't hold a tech degree.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any sense in direct applying to out-of-state/non-LA BigLaw offices?

Originally from NY and my work experience is all IP-related, but I don't hold a tech degree.

Does it make sense to apply? Of course, as you can never apply to too many places. However, I would highly recommend applying everywhere in Los Angeles/CA first, New York second, and then third to anywhere else. I say that because UCLA is the strongest in CA versus anywhere else, and you are from NY. Once you have finished applying in those two states, then you should spread out to other locations. Please note that your highest chances of success are in CA and NY, regardless.

As for IP, it does not hurt to apply without a tech degree as long as the job description does not require it. But, from what I have seen, there does not appear to be too many non-tech degree requiring IP positions available.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Aberzombie1892 is spot on. OP: You still have time, but the clock is ticking.

Below median from UCLA you have a great chance at getting something but a more remote chance at getting a firm gig that will lead to a permanent offer. Don't give up hope, but it's definitely time to adjust your expectations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

I am also looking at in-house/consulting firms which I'm hoping will be less grade and more WE-oriented. Anyone from UCLA/USC have experience applying to those kinds of jobs?

nyuwithbadgrades

Postby nyuwithbadgrades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:48 pm

sorry to hear.

how many callbacks did you do before striking out?

anon5225

Postby anon5225 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice, y'all.

I am also looking at in-house/consulting firms which I'm hoping will be less grade and more WE-oriented. Anyone from UCLA/USC have experience applying to those kinds of jobs?

pm me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:36 pm

nyuwithbadgrades wrote:sorry to hear.

how many callbacks did you do before striking out?

None yet. Haven't heard from a few but I'm not counting on anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”