Accepting Summer Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting Summer Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:25 am

I just got an offer. But I want to wait for about a week or two to see what happens with my other interviews.
Can I just sit on my offer without taking any further actions like this?
Or should I accept it first and then renege later before sigining the actual paperwork (if there is any)?
Any advice will be appreciated thanks!

Lincoln

Re: Accepting Summer Offers

Postby Lincoln » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer. But I want to wait for about a week or two to see what happens with my other interviews.
Or should I accept it first and then renege later before sigining the actual paperwork (if there is any)?

Do NOT accept and then renege. I think according to NALP you have a month or so to accept. I used the whole month before I did, and no one seemed to mind.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 am

You should probably read the offer -- there's a very high chance it states how long you have to accept it. Not all employers follow the NALP guidelines giving you 28 days, but most do.
Like the previous poster said, do not accept and renege. That is extremely bad form unless there is an extraordinary excusing circumstance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:07 am

KidStuddi wrote:You should probably read the offer -- there's a very high chance it states how long you have to accept it. Not all employers follow the NALP guidelines giving you 28 days, but most do.
Like the previous poster said, do not accept and renege. That is extremely bad form unless there is an extraordinary excusing circumstance.

My offer came in as a voicemail and she simply said that I have an offer and call xyz if I have any questions.
Would there be a subsequent snail mail?
And also when I accept the offer for the summer, do I have to sign the formal contract later?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:You should probably read the offer -- there's a very high chance it states how long you have to accept it. Not all employers follow the NALP guidelines giving you 28 days, but most do.

My offer came in as a voicemail and she simply said that I have an offer and call xyz if I have any questions.
Would there be a subsequent snail mail?
And also when I accept the offer for the summer, do I have to sign the formal contract later?

maybe ask her?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer. But I want to wait for about a week or two to see what happens with my other interviews.

How can you not know the answer to this? This is like... so painfully basic.

Anyway, NALP firms are required to let you hold offers open for about a month. Basically all firms give you a reaonsable period to decide, at the absolute least a week. It's never a good idea to accept and then try to get out of that acceptance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:

How can you not know the answer to this? This is like... so painfully basic.

Anyway, NALP firms are required to let you hold offers open for about a month. Basically all firms give you a reaonsable period to decide, at the absolute least a week. It's never a good idea to accept and then try to get out of that acceptance.

Would there be a follow up letter of offer coming into mail?
And will I be signing a formal paper documents upon accepting an offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”