Susman Godfrey

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Susman Godfrey

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm

And movement out of the L.A office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would you characterize the working environment around the firm? What are the people like? How do partners and associates interact? What kind of people get hired? Are all their summers classic gunners or what?

Also what's with the inverted structure involving twice as many partners as associates? Are all partners actual equity partners? How does the firm compensate for associate attrition? To what extent does the firm lateral seniors in over the heads of rising associates?

Know two people who worked there for many years before lateraling out, and both say it was hell on earth. (Though I'm sure that lots of people out there would love the environment, but it sounds like it certainly isn't for most.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And movement out of the L.A office?

??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:03 am

LA offers have gone out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would you characterize the working environment around the firm? What are the people like? How do partners and associates interact? What kind of people get hired? Are all their summers classic gunners or what?

Also what's with the inverted structure involving twice as many partners as associates? Are all partners actual equity partners? How does the firm compensate for associate attrition? To what extent does the firm lateral seniors in over the heads of rising associates?

Know two people who worked there for many years before lateraling out, and both say it was hell on earth. (Though I'm sure that lots of people out there would love the environment, but it sounds like it certainly isn't for most.)

What did they find hellish about working there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What did they find hellish about working there?

Am wondering this as well - are the hours much worse than a New York V10 or is it a culture thing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 am

Saw this today and thought I'd post and revive the thread: http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... sman-.html

Anybody have any more-recent information on working here other than the usual stuff? Any more info on hours from people actually there?

[Anon because piecing comments in other threads might out me and I am considering applying]

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 pm

So who's the ideal fit?
Someone who's clerked at the Supreme Court, is brilliant, and has theatrical presence. There's a theatrical aspect to trial work. We've also had phenomenal female lawyers who have great personality, are smart, and are pleasant to look at.

Aren't you afraid some might find that last comment a bit sexist?
You can ask anyone who has ever worked with me or at SG about whether we are [sexist], and I'm sure they will say no. I do think that any firm that tries jury cases needs a group of lawyers who have courtroom--i.e., theatrical--presence. A person's appearance, male or female, contributes to their presence.

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... an-qa.html

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw this today and thought I'd post and revive the thread: http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... sman-.html

Anybody have any more-recent information on working here other than the usual stuff? Any more info on hours from people actually there?

[Anon because piecing comments in other threads might out me and I am considering applying]

You could have left out the bit that you're considering applying, and therefore this post wouldn't have to have been anonymous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw this today and thought I'd post and revive the thread: http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... sman-.html

Anonymous because I summered there and will be joining the firm after my clerkship.

The average hours are 2400. From what I could tell, most people are around 2500, with a couple hitting 2800 (those people decided to be closer to the average in subsequent years).

I was also told that their standards have somehow increased in the past 2-3 years (they were already super high to begin with). One partner mentioned that they had rejected at least one scotus clerk. Grades/prestige are necessary to even have a shot, but personality is the difference maker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous because I summered there and will be joining the firm after my clerkship.

The average hours are 2400. From what I could tell, most people are around 2500, with a couple hitting 2800 (those people decided to be closer to the average in subsequent years).

I was also told that their standards have somehow increased in the past 2-3 years (they were already super high to begin with). One partner mentioned that they had rejected at least one scotus clerk. Grades/prestige are necessary to even have a shot, but personality is the difference maker.

Same as above. I would add is that 2400 was (I think) median, not mean, but I also could be remembering incorrectly. One associate did bill 300 a month this summer and others came close. The hours are brutal, but I think that they blow up when your cases blow up, which means fantastic experience.

I also think that they did reject a SCOTUS clerk, but I don't know the details. The Steve Susman interview mentioned that some clerks are just bad fits since they are academics at heart. Even if they would be good fits with appellate work, SG is more about trial litigation.

As for personality, I would add that it is about being sharp and confident as hell. Not everyone has to be a larger than life theatrical personality.

AveryTolar

Postby AveryTolar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 am

Sorry to dig up this old thread but this firm gets a lot of buzz. Did someone say some SG partners take home $10,000,000 or more? Maybe I'm naive but I thought most Biglaw partners took home between 2-3 Million? That number was eye popping.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Not only that, you're naive to think most big law partners take home 2-3 mill.

wons

Postby wons » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:17 am

FYI, median NYC big law partner gross annual pay is about $750,000. Don't become a lawyer to get rich.

Outed for needless use of anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:48 pm

AveryTolar wrote:Sorry to dig up this old thread but this firm gets a lot of buzz. Did someone say some SG partners take home $10,000,000 or more? Maybe I'm naive but I thought most Biglaw partners took home between 2-3 Million? That number was eye popping.

It's not impossible that every now and then one of the partners takes home >$10mm. SG does a lot of contingency fee work and their comp structure leans toward eat-what-you-kill. If several big cases paid in the same year and one lawyer brought them all in the door it doesn't seem outlandish. I doubt it's a regular thing though.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI, median NYC big law partner gross annual pay is about $750,000. Don't become a lawyer to get rich.

TIL that a $750k salary doesn't make one rich.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

purpletiger wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI, median NYC big law partner gross annual pay is about $750,000. Don't become a lawyer to get rich.

After two BMW leases, private schooling for both kids, mortgage for primary house, mortgage for vacation house in Long Island, and regular vacations, you're barely above the poverty line, to speak nothing of retirement funds.

Seriously, being a partner in NYC sucks. It just isn't fair.

wons

Postby wons » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 am

purpletiger wrote:

In NYC? Look, I'm not making the normative judgement as to whether it SHOULD make you rich, but it doesn't. Keep in mind you build up to that; you start much lower.

Outed for needless use of anon.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:26 am

Dude. A $750K salary is rich by any reasonable standard. Are there richer people? Sure. Is it going to make you a mega billionaire? I don't know, maybe not. I get that no one starts at that salary, and even that being a biglaw partner isn't the path to top-of-the-universe megawealth. But saying that a $750K salary doesn't make you rich is fairly horrifying.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:57 am

Every person on earth appears to define rich as "the ability to consume a shitton more than my parents could."

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:50 am

Really depends on how you define rich. $750k after income taxes, all the taxes associated with being self-employed, and employee and employer contributions to benefits might not feel like all that much if you live in MFH in an apartment big enough for a spouse and 2.5 kids (with the associated private school tuition). Sure, you're not hurting, but you aren't wiping your ass with Benjamins either. Plus if you're a biglaw partner you're probably a sociopath with at least 2 ex wives to pay alimony to, in addition to child support for your other 4 kids you barely acknowledge, and a a mistress to support.

750k in Houston and you're pretty much rich though no matter how you slice it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 am

I'm not taking about feeling rich - everyone would feel a lot richer if they didn't spend money on things they decided they have to have. I'm just talking about percentage of people with your salary. A household income of $750k is in the top 1% wherever you are in the country. You (generic you) personally may feel like that's not a lot of money, but you'd still have a higher income than 99% of households. I think that counts as rich.

(Will shut up about this now because it's not about SG, sorry.)

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 am

The associates at my firm hand out cards for the junior partners only making 700k. WE all throw in a couple hundo so they can buy their kids gifts.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:37 am

Pretty sure I could live quite comfortably on $62,000 and change a month, no matter where I lived.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 am

kalvano wrote:Pretty sure I could live quite comfortably on $62,000 and change a month, no matter where I lived.

with how many loans tho

Return to “Legal Employment”