Susman Godfrey Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bruinfan10

Silver

Re: Susman Godfrey

Post by bruinfan10 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:57 pm

rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
AveryTolar wrote:Let me rephrase, where in the class rank would someone have to be to realistically have a shot in hell of being competitive?
1/XXX. You're going to need a 2/9/DC (or equivalent for Texas cases) Clerkship to have a shot, just like every applicant.
Although it's difficult to get hired at Susman, the bolded isn't actually true.
You know the person's out of their depth when they don't acknowledge there are feeders everywhere. As if Susman would turn its nose up at a Gorsuch, Colloton, Kethledge, or Boudin clerk because they're not 2/9/DC. :lol: And Susman doesn't even require feeders--pretty sure it's just run of the mill 5th Cir. usually.

RightorRight

New

Post by RightorRight » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:41 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
AveryTolar wrote:Let me rephrase, where in the class rank would someone have to be to realistically have a shot in hell of being competitive?
1/XXX. You're going to need a 2/9/DC (or equivalent for Texas cases) Clerkship to have a shot, just like every applicant.
You know the person's out of their depth when they don't acknowledge there are feeders everywhere. As if Susman would turn its nose up at a Gorsuch, Colloton, Kethledge, or Boudin clerk because they're not 2/9/DC. :lol: And Susman doesn't even require feeders--pretty sure it's just run of the mill 5th Cir. usually.
Yeah, just those regular, easy to get 5th Circuit judges. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2015 10:32 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
It has far less to do with who the judge is and far more to do with the person's overall resume. Moreover, a lot of people are hired from the summer program. And at the time we got OCI offers for summer, we hadn't even applied for clerkships.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat May 02, 2015 10:36 am

I will admit to my statement being SPS. Also, OP is at UHuston Law.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat May 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It has far less to do with who the judge is and far more to do with the person's overall resume. Moreover, a lot of people are hired from the summer program. And at the time we got OCI offers for summer, we hadn't even applied for clerkships.
Strangely enough, these days many (if not most) people competitive for Susman will have clerkships lined up by the time they do OCI. I wonder if that will lead them to doing a more traditional SA program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2015 3:42 am

Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It has far less to do with who the judge is and far more to do with the person's overall resume. Moreover, a lot of people are hired from the summer program. And at the time we got OCI offers for summer, we hadn't even applied for clerkships.
Strangely enough, these days many (if not most) people competitive for Susman will have clerkships lined up by the time they do OCI. I wonder if that will lead them to doing a more traditional SA program.
Not sure why early clerkship hiring would incentivize the firm to change the 4 week model...

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Not sure why early clerkship hiring would incentivize the firm to change the 4 week model...
Yeah I guess it doesn't make sense since the associates won't be locked in anyway post-clerkship. But I was just thinking that the four-week model was out of necessity (can't guarantee an offer since the summers don't have a clerkship) so you need to give summers a chance to split. Now that need is gone for many Susman aspirants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 am

Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Yeah I guess it doesn't make sense since the associates won't be locked in anyway post-clerkship. But I was just thinking that the four-week model was out of necessity (can't guarantee an offer since the summers don't have a clerkship) so you need to give summers a chance to split. Now that need is gone for many Susman aspirants.
That's not why it's 4 weeks. If you get a summer slot, you have the stats for a clerkship.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon May 04, 2015 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:
That's not why it's 4 weeks. If you get a summer slot, you have the stats for a clerkship.
OK you obviously know more about their process than me, so I'll defer to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
IIRC from my cb there, some of the associates were TX D.Ct as well. Definitely not 2/9/DC required - as is readily apparent from firm bios.
Yukos wrote:
Couple dynamics that probably work against this:
1) If you're a Susman, you don't want to go 100% offer given the, uh, unique personality of the firm and emphasis on fit. And you don't need to go 100% or full summer program to get top candidates. But you probably need to at the very least encourage / allow splits given that fact, and the fact that students aren't dumb - the short program helps with that. I didn't end up getting an offer from there post-CB, but I would've been somewhat terrified of taking it were it a full program. They are super demanding and there was definitely a type.
2) TX historical inertia in favor of the four-week program. Susman was the only TX firm I was looking at so I don't know whether this is going away elsewhere.
3) Top candidates w/ feeder clerkships probably more likely to jump ship. Not like Susman is hurting for cash, obviously, but still.

Also, just as a side note: I only know of one other person at my school that did a CB there last fall, and they also did not have a clerkship lined up yet. While hiring was obviously really early last year, having something lined up already during callback season was still fairly rare.

Seems like other anon might have summered there so I also defer to their experience. Just my 2c as someone with a marginal amount more info than the average joe.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Yukos wrote:
this is a stretch -- most judges, including many of the more desirable locations, want 3/4+ semesters of grades. but I agree with the principle that you can generally know when someone will be headed in that direction

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:08 pm

Does susman always wait until all interviews are complete to start making offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 am

Former associate willing to take questions. Fire away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former associate willing to take questions. Fire away.
Curious about the interview process. With their lack of HR at any given office, it feels like a black box. What was your turn around usually for summer associate interviewees?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Yukos wrote:
this is a stretch -- most judges, including many of the more desirable locations, want 3/4+ semesters of grades. but I agree with the principle that you can generally know when someone will be headed in that direction
Most judges, perhaps, but hiring solely on 1L grades is rapidly becoming (if not already) the norm in 2/9/DC and competitive districts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:04 pm

My turnaround was about a week. The timing is all over the place depending on firm business and level of interest in the candidate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:40 pm

My turnaround was about a month - it really just depends on when offices are meeting to discuss candidates.

As noted earlier, a "feeder" clerkship is not at all a requirement for working there as a summer or full-time associate, and having a clerkship lined up is certainly not a requirement for getting a summer offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 am

No talk about Susman ditching the 5 year partner track?
Word on the street is it's 10 years now, and 4th years when they made the change were just SOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No talk about Susman ditching the 5 year partner track?
Word on the street is it's 10 years now, and 4th years when they made the change were just SOL
Current associate here--it's a six-year track, not a 10 year track.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Still no offers out yet this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:41 pm

You mean for summer of 2016 positions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You mean for summer of 2016 positions?
Anyone still waiting? Been rejected?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm pretty sure Susman has finished hiring for most offices, though it's possible some people are still holding offers open.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:15 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
I was a 2/9/DC clerk and my Susman rejection letter came in record time. Like they might have sent it before I applied fast.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”