Calls from Profs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Calls from Profs

Postby henry flower » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Just finished EIW. Both of the professors I reached out to for references were very nice and offered to make calls/send emails on my behalf.

When is the best time for these to be made? Now, after the screener, but before CB/ding? Post-CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

henry flower wrote:Just finished EIW. Both of the professors I reached out to for references were very nice and offered to make calls/send emails on my behalf.

When is the best time for these to be made? Now, after the screener, but before CB/ding? Post-CB?


Your references should not reach out first.
The firm will call/email them if they want to.

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby henry flower » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
henry flower wrote:Just finished EIW. Both of the professors I reached out to for references were very nice and offered to make calls/send emails on my behalf.

When is the best time for these to be made? Now, after the screener, but before CB/ding? Post-CB?


Your references should not reach out first.
The firm will call/email them if they want to.


Context/background/source for that categorical statement? I don't think my professors (both litigators, one with a firm background) would offer to do something that was totally out of the ordinary.

And nobody asks for references except Covington.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 pm

henry flower wrote:Context/background/source for that categorical statement? I don't think my professors (both litigators, one with a firm background) would offer to do something that was totally out of the ordinary.

And nobody asks for references except Covington.


Nobody?

And to my knowledge it's been pretty SOP for firms to reach out to references they want, not the other way around. You're not applying for a clerkship.

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:33 am

It does seem a bit odd unless the prof has a personal connection to someone on the hiring committee, or something.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 am

Younger Abstention wrote:It does seem a bit odd unless the prof has a personal connection to someone on the hiring committee, or something.



This.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 am

I believe the answer is it depends. Did you work for the professors so that they can attest to your legal as well as work abilities? If yes, then let them contact. I was a research assistant for a professor this summer. He asked who my top 3 firms were. I told him. He reached out to all 3, I got callbacks from all 3. Selective firms in the V10 for what it is worth. My grades were high enough for each firm, but it is still a .
crapshoot at that level. Tw of the firms mentioned his contact during the callbacks


If you just had them for class, I'd lean towards no contact

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Calls from Profs

Postby henry flower » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm going to resurrect this Q, post-CB with a firm I really loved. I was surprised that this is such a weird thing, and that the general consensus was: this is dumb and I shouldn't do it. In response to the last post, this professor actually does have more experience with my research n' writing than your average doctrinal professor, because she gave us several research-and-writing-intensive memo assignments (which, happily, I did very well on), in addition to a traditional law school final. No connections to the particular firm, though she was in private practice for several years before academia.

So, should I get her to email the firm, post-CB? I loved this firm so much, and I would love to get a bump but would hate to suffer a dip.

If I get her to email for me, should it go to the recruiting manager (so far, all communications have been through this person) or hiring partner?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.