Worst Firms to Work For? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worst Firms to Work For?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

What are the worst firms to work for?

ben4847

Silver

Re: Worst Firms to Work For?

Post by ben4847 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm

law firms. FTW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Cadwalader is the notorious one, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Dewey

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 pm

latham

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

All of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Quinn. /thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 pm

why latham?

why quinn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why latham?
Partners have pretty much zero respect for the associates and aren't afraid to fuck over some junior people to make their own paychecks fatter. Maybe some potential doubts about financial stability overall, but really, it's the first thing that make people hate Latham.
why quinn?
The asshole:normal-person ratio is pretty depressing there, and they have a reputation for working their associates to the bone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

cadwalader

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
why quinn?
The asshole:normal-person ratio is pretty depressing there, and they have a reputation for working their associates to the bone.
However:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:latham
So while Latham is notorious for long hours, generally Latham is believed to be a very good place to work in terms of culture and collegiality ... I guess you also have to look past the whole getting "Lathamed" part as well ...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:latham
So while Latham is notorious for long hours, generally Latham is believed to be a very good place to work in terms of culture and collegiality ... I guess you also have to look past the whole getting "Lathamed" part as well ...
The fact that Latham laid off first years during teh shitshow is a huge black mark on their reputation as it pertains to young recruits. Otherwise, however, they are known for having a great culture as far as that goes for big law firms. I'm close to a number of people who work there, and it's definitely one of the "fun" firms (again, in relative terms).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 pm

I've heard Cahill is full of tools and gunners. Not verified, but FWIW they did indeed hire tools and gunners from my school.

Also an associate from my firm who lateraled from Cahill was not too fond of people at Cahill.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm

You remember that whole Quinn debacle re: the hiking trip? They not only made the fallen SA's pay for the helicopter ride, they also made them pay for the shipping of the packs they left behind, meaning they paid for 2 helicopter rides.

No. Really. ATL missed the best part of the story.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard Cahill is full of tools and gunners. Not verified, but FWIW they did indeed hire tools and gunners from my school.

Also an associate from my firm who lateraled from Cahill was not too fond of people at Cahill.
All of the attys I have met from Cahill NY have been extraordinarily nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You remember that whole Quinn debacle re: the hiking trip? They not only made the fallen SA's pay for the helicopter ride, they also made them pay for the shipping of the packs they left behind, meaning they paid for 2 helicopter rides.

I have direct knowledge of what happend on the Quinn hike, and the above is not true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You remember that whole Quinn debacle re: the hiking trip? They not only made the fallen SA's pay for the helicopter ride, they also made them pay for the shipping of the packs they left behind, meaning they paid for 2 helicopter rides.

Omg

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I have direct knowledge of what happend on the Quinn hike, and the above is not true.
Yeah, this is definitely not true. Really can't understand why Quinn gets such a hard rap on these boards, especially from people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about. As to the commenter above about the asshole:normal ratio, I worked in the NY office and found all of the partners and associates I worked with to be genuinely nice people who thoroughly enjoy their jobs. That said, I can't deny that people work pretty substantial hours and people do look tired a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard Cahill is full of tools and gunners. Not verified, but FWIW they did indeed hire tools and gunners from my school.

Did a CB there last year and, while most people were chill, there really were some weirdos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 pm

I can verify that it's a very difficult firm to work at. Free market firms also tend to attract extreme Type A's and if you don't fall into that category it can be not-fun.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 pm

people who work for quinn say everyone is nice and friendly, everyone else says they're raging douches

the common explanation seems to be that everyone is "just hating" and that you have to understand quinn's "unique culture" - but this just makes me think quinners are in denial about being assholes. thoughts?

tyler.durden

Bronze

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Just read everything I could find about Quinn hikes. Don't know about the SAs paying for heli rides but the rest sounds badass. I'd love to work for a firm that encourages associates to be physically fit and mentally tough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 am

I thought Quinn came off as pretty douche-y during OCI. Wouldn't want to work there. The partner was sloppy, fat, and wearing cargo shorts. Definitely not physically fit in the least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought Quinn came off as pretty douche-y during OCI. Wouldn't want to work there. The partner was sloppy, fat, and wearing cargo shorts. Definitely not physically fit in the least.
I guess only associates are expected to be fit.
Partners only need to be able to golf.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”