Questions for 2012 SAs with FT offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions for 2012 SAs with FT offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Received a verbal offer on my last day. Didn't accept on the spot. Three questions:

1. Did anybody receive written confirmation of an offer after a phone call or meeting where one was extended? Is a written letter coming?
2. Most people I've spoken to have accepted on the spot. Is this normal or expected?
3. According to NALP, we have until Nov. 1 to accept, but outstanding offers must be affirmed after 30 days. What does it mean to "affirm" an offer?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Re: Questions for 2012 SAs with FT offers

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 pm

I don't think most FT offers come with letters. I could be wrong.

Some firms pressure to accept on the spot, others do not. It's not a big deal to delay.

To affirm an offer ostensibly just means to tell the firm you are still considering the offer. It's to keep you proactive in communicating with the firm if you take another offer so that they have time to fill gaps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Got a written letter confirming my full time offer from my firm. Offers came by phone a week after the program ended, rather than in person during the program, if that changes anything.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm

My offer came with a pretty lengthy letter that detailed some of the big stuff (salary, information about benefits, minimum billables, bonuses, etc.). There was no pressure to accept on the spot (I don't think a single person did).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

I accepted on the spot and was one of the few who did. This was the last day of the program. Less than 2 weeks later I got a confirmation in the mail of my offer that also welcomed me to the firm, per my acceptance.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 pm

I signed a letter. It came about a week after a verbal offer. I wouldn't be surprised if many firms eschew a written agreement. It's fairly pointless given that it's an employment at will relationship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

I received a mailed letter (nothing that had to be signed) with the offer and important info (salary, etc.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 pm

We received letters on the last day (got our offers mid-week). We also received short offer "acceptance" letters that basically said that they'd tell us everything else in the future (start date, bar expenses, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:43 pm

I got an email with an attachment of the offer letter. I printed/signed and scanned/e-mailed it back to the HR people. I am jealous of you guys with the verbal offers, I just had three weeks of stress and other interviews before receiving the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received a verbal offer on my last day. Didn't accept on the spot. Three questions:

1. Did anybody receive written confirmation of an offer after a phone call or meeting where one was extended? Is a written letter coming?
2. Most people I've spoken to have accepted on the spot. Is this normal or expected?
3. According to NALP, we have until Nov. 1 to accept, but outstanding offers must be affirmed after 30 days. What does it mean to "affirm" an offer?

1. Received written two weeks after verbal offer
2. If you are applying for clerkships you shouldn't accept on the spot and you should tell them that is why you are not accepting.
3. Not sure - good question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received a verbal offer on my last day. Didn't accept on the spot. Three questions:

1. Offer packet in the mail about four days after phone call.
2. I am in Texas and splitting firms. First-half firm encouraged me to wait until the end of second-half summer program if I wanted to. Called the first-half firm back with a week to go at my second-half firm and accepted offer.
3. Not sure what this means.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:33 am

I'm just a rising 2L, and I've wondered about this. If you get a full-time offer but are interested in DOJ honors, can you hold off on the full-time offer until you hear back on DOJ?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just a rising 2L, and I've wondered about this. If you get a full-time offer but are interested in DOJ honors, can you hold off on the full-time offer until you hear back on DOJ?

NALP Guidelines V.B.2.:
Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests.

In any event, your summer firm is supposed to hold your offer until at least November 1 (V.B.3.). They're under no obligation to actually follow NALP guidelines, but that's what they are.

Return to “Legal Employment”